Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!! Wed, Nov 6 through Sun, Nov 10!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Wed, Nov 6 through Sun, Nov 10!!!

Sorry for the abbreviated week of grooves for me this time around, but my grooves for the week really start on Wednesday (plus busy, busy!)!!! Feel free to add your groovalicious flix to the thread, and share what moves and grooves you when it comes to TCM and the classic flix they air for our enjoyment and viewing pleasure!

Joel McCrea fans are going to be dancing in the streets this Wednesday with a nearly full daytime slate of his flix, and my total grooves are the first two, which are pre-code gems!!! At 9:30am, it's Joel with Dolores Del Rio, Skeets Gallagher and an early appearance from Lon Chaney, Jr!!!, in BIRD OF PARADISE from 1932!! From that same year, and with the same sets that were used in KING KONG, it's Joel with scream queen, Fay Wray (hotcha!), my main man Robert Armstrong, and Leslie Banks in THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME!! Joel keeps his fans swooning with 4 more flix to round out the tribute: PRIMROSE PATH (1940), THE MORE THE MERRIER (1943), COLORADO TERRITORY (1949), and STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)!! Rock it!

Wednesday nights are owned by Burt Lancaster during the month of November! Someone at TCM loves Burt, cos his flix show up a LOT, but hey it's ok! My fave from this first night is the kick-off ceremony, a kick-a$$ noir flick, from 1946, THE KILLERS, with one of the best opening scenes in film history! Ava Gardner stars as the femme fatale extraordinaire, and Edmond O'Brien, Albert Dekker, Sam Levene, William Conrad and Charlie McGraw all show up and shine it up hard in this gritty flick! It rocks!

Friday morning, wow to the wow!!! At 6:30am, it's the film that HIS GIRL FRIDAY is the remake of, THE FRONT PAGE from 1931, snapping, crackling, pop, with Pat O'Brien, Adolphe Menjou, Edward Everett Horton, Walter Catlett, Mae Clarke (be still my beating heart!!), Mary Brian, and George E Stone!!! This flick rocks! And it's followed by my main man, Warren William in another pre-code flick (yowza!!!), THE MATCH KING (1932), also with Glenda Farrell (yum!), Lily Damita (yum again!), Harold Huber, and John Wray--hard-hitting, pre-code goodaliciousness!!! I'm also interested in grooving to the next flick in the lineup, one that I've not seen before, with Pat O'Brien, Josephine Hutchison, and Jean Muire, OIL FOR THE LAMPS OF CHINA (1935)!!

Friday nights in November are all about screwball comedies, and guest host Matthew Broderick will be hosting another howl a minute lineup including heavy hitters, THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937), MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940), LOVE CRAZY (1941), MR AND MRS SMITH (1941), TOO MANY HUSBANDS (1940), and VIVACIOUS LADY (1938)!!! If you dig screwball comedies, TCM's got 'em for ya this month on Friday nights!!

Saturday night, it's all about Dick Powell on TCM!! And the spectrum of Dick's career captured brilliantly by the 3 film lineup--his crooner days from the pre-code era, a light 50's comedy, and hard-hitting noir from the 40's! GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 kicks it off, one of my all time favorites, also with my main man Warren William, my sweetheart Joan Blondell (wow!!), sharp-witted Aline MacMahon, Ruby Keeler, Ned Sparks, Ginger Rogers (yumalicious!), and Guy Kibbee!!! Great way to spend a Saturday night, but Dick's not done with us as next it's June Allyson joining his party for a light 50's comedy, THE REFORMER AND THE REDHEAD (1950), and then hard-hitting gritty Dick closes it out for us in CORNERED (1946), with Walter Slezak, and Micheline Cheirel!! Dig it!

Sunday night's theme is "Revisionist Westerns", and the grooves fly hard and fast for the Silent Sunday night 1920'S double feature, first with Harold Lloyd in AN EASTERN WESTERNER (1920), followed by Buster Keaton in GO WEST (1925)!! Awesome!!

Thanks to TCM for a rockin' good lineup and for all these gems of the silver screen!!! And to all my TCM buds on here, hope you're enjoying some rockin' good times grooving to classic flix!!!

I see this as a week to mellow out and take a break from the heavy grooving. You have perfectly explained the highlights. It is obvious they are few and far between and there is little new this week.

I am waiting most for the week which begins on: Monday the Eighteenth.