Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walkabout (1971)

hamradio

I lived in Australia in 1984 and it was the ONLY time I ever went to a McDonald's in my life. I was desperately searching for a cup of coffee, egg sandwich, pancake, ANYTHING for breakfast!

I thought a Holy Grail was found when I spotted LOVELY! a pancake house...it ended up being a high end restaurant that served steak (or kangaroo) on top of a pancake-an abomination.

BTW the cute animal that sniffed the sleeping girl's head was a wombat, adorable creatures. None of the animals there have a fear of humans so you really could sit & observe them for hours.

I spent a lot of time with Aborigines. It always struck me they had very black skin but soft curly hair, not kinky like Africans.

Interesting movie, if not a bit heavy handed.

But you will sit through an hour of it. You display much more persistence than I. Sometimes it only takes thirty seconds of a movie for me to know I won't like it. I find that while movies can often get worse, they almost never get better. My thinking is that if moviemakers don't have the ability to make a movie good at the beginning, they won't have it later on.

Well, maybe it wasn't a full hour. :)

I just kept expecting something to happen. But all they did was walkabout. Then it dawned on me that that was the movie's title, so I figured that was probably all they were going to do. So I gave up.

If the title had been "Swimming Naked in the Pond in the Outback", I might have watched it a little longer. :)

>FCD:

>If the title had been "Swimming Naked in the Pond in the Outback", I might have watched it a little longer.

Something you will thankfully not have to do, knowing the good bits are immediately accessible on YT.

(But don't misunderstand me, I like Walkabout. It's a brilliant movie. It's other movies I don't have time for.)

>You know, now that you mention it, The Gods Must Be Crazy would be a great film to show as part of the Story of Film series.

I don't know why it didn't make the series, it's really a nice film - maybe that's why. I couldn't help that, it just slipped out.

I'd encourage anyone to give *Walkabout* a try, because some people like it very much. I can't help thinking that given 1) a great story premise and 2) spectacular scenery, Roeg gets about as little out of the material as possible. It doesn't help that his idea of subtlety is bonking us over the head with a cast-iron skillet.

>I'd encourage anyone to give Walkabout a try, because some people like it very much. I can't help thinking that given 1) a great story premise and 2) spectacular scenery,

I hope everyone watches it and I hope everyone likes it. :)

I didn't like it because 1) it was boring, 2) the "sex" interest in the film, the young girl, was much too young, maybe 16 years old. I would prefer a 28 year old Marilyn Monroe type or maybe a 35 year old Lana Turner. 3) the killing of the small animals made me sick. I don't like to see animals killed, cut up, and roasted over an open fire by a primitive cave-man type of boy. He was a nice kid, but not my idea of a good chef. When the boy shot a small Kangaroo with an arrow, then he cut his legs off, then he began to roast them on an open fire, I thought I was going to barf.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings