Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'd Like to know the name of this movie Please!

matey

Hi Everyone:

Many years ago I was traveling once and by the time I got to bed it was very late so I turn the TV on and flipped thru the channels when I saw this wonderful B&W old movie (looked to be from 30s or 40s)?

I don't know what channel it was on? (there were no on-scrn info back then).

Anyway It was a scene of a court room and a trial. This man was accused of killing his wife and it was his turn to defend himself (I don't think he had chosen a lawyer) . So the 1st thing he asked the court was to let the few ladies there in the court room leave. There were only men left plus an all-man jury.

He defended himself and won the case! He confessed he had killed his wife (I think) but the things he said in his own defense made the judge and the jury pronounce him as not guilty!

This movie had such a nice plot and a great script but as much as I watch TCM for the last few years I have never seen that movie again.

Unfortunately back in those days I did not know the names of many of the actors/actresses of the classic era so I don't know who played in it. (and I don't think it was a comedy bcs I saw a comic film once with Terry Thomas which sounded like this but was in color)

So I am wondering if anyone can help me find the name of that old movie despite the fact that I have provided very little information.

Thanks a lot!

Regards;

You might be thinking of How to Murder Your Wife, with Jack Lemon and Virna Lisi:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17593/How-To-Murder-Your-Wife/

It was in color, but the set you watched it on may have been a B/W set. It had such a sexist theme that it was controversial even back then in those pre-liberation days. I suppose people felt the necessity to draw the line at pre-meditated murder.

Thank You for the reply and the info./link Slaytonf.

Yes you are right about the Jack Lemmon movie. I don't know why I didnt remember him and only Terry Thomas?

I have not seen the whole movie of either versions so I don't really know the whole story but the one I watched was really old and I don't think it was sort of screw ball comedy. it was more witty and funny but very serious at the same time.

I guess maybe that the Black & White movie I saw was the older version of the same movie?

They did reuse scripts a lot (like the color version of "Farewell To Arms" that was on TCM last night, I never knew it existed cuz I saw the one with Gary Cooper 2 or 3 times but this was with Rock Hudson. And man I didn't know Rock was such a great actor. He played so well)!

Thanks a lot!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings