Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite actors using BIRTH NAMES

Lagamorpha

Its interesting that back in the day stars changed their names to hide ethnicity or becasue their original names just sounded awful or boring, They don;t seem to do that as much anymore. Can you imagine a Mariska Hargitay, Ashton Kutcher, Jared Padalecki or Mila Kunis in the credits of any movie made in the Studio Era? Or Keanu Reaves? Or Arnold Schwarzenegger? Or Zach Galifianakis? Or...I could go on and on.

And don;t get me started on baby names...ugh.

The men seem to have left well enough alone. Unless I'm wrong Errol Flynn, James Stewart, Tyrone Power and Clark Gable all used their original names; first or middle with their last. It didn't seem to be an issue with them unless it was a really hard name to spell or pronounce or long. Today it doesn't seem to matter; actors have names-probably real-that would never have passed muster with the old studio heads.

I had one, partly based on my surname but with a different first one, I would have insisted on had I made it out there. It ensured I'd no longer be teased by being compared with Cecil from *Beany and Cecil* - don't ask why.

>James Stewart but not the one in Destry Rides Again. The James Stewart who was married to Jean Simmons.

But James Stewart did not use his birth name. He used the name Stewart Granger. I thought the thread was about actors using their birth names, not about actors not using their birth names. LOL

Yeah this thread is stating the birth name of an actor who changed his or her name for entertainment purposes. Sorry for the confusion.

I used "birth name" instead of "real name" because some actors legally changed their names.

*Laszlo Lowenstein*, *Kornel Weisz* and *Emanuel Goldenberg* are a few favorites.

And is this for real?

*Paul Georg Julius Freiherr von Hernried Ritter von Wassel-Waldingau*

He'd give Maria Montez a run for her money.

But James Stewart did not use his birth name. He used the name Stewart Granger. I thought the thread was about actors using their birth names, not about actors not using their birth names. LOL

Let's call this a draw. The gentleman did use his birth name in Brittian but when he came to Hollywood another James Stewart-also a "really" -had already made his mark so he used his last name and his mother's maiden one from then on.

Also Bette Davis was born Ruth Elizabeth Davis but went by Bette as her mother had a similar name. Warners wanted to bill her as Bettina Dawes but she replied "I refuse to be called between the drawers all my life!" It's one battle Jack Warner didn't win.