Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A contradiction in concept

slaytonf

There is no greater outrage than making a lush, romantic picture out of a Hemingway work. Instead of the slushy and sentimental as we get, it should be told in a simple, straightforward way, or to use the author's words, clean, straight, and good. Tonight's A Farewell to Arms is so gloopy and filled with Hollywood conventions that the occasional nod to the old man is so out of character for the movie it's painfully embarrassing to watch.

>it should be told in a simple, straightforward way

Sometimes I think Hemingway is often revered for his mastery of writing -mostly by those who have written themselves, than for the actual story.

Stephen King's writing often strikes me in a similar way.

I wonder if a film like this (a patriotic theme) was focused toward the many US immigrants who may have needed more heavy handed storytelling because of language.

Remember in the movies couples fall in love within 5 minutes of having a sundae together.

DAMN! I totally missed it. Sister Kenny too. WHY didnt I check the schedule last night? Was this a TCM premiere? Not a great film, but I enjoyed it years ago, particularly for Jennifer Jones....

Hemingway never lucked out with movie adaptions of his books......

The '30's adaptation wasn't much better. Could be the original Hemingway story was slushy, too. As one who was never too impressed by Hemingway, I recuse myself from further comment.

Funny someone would bring up Stephen King. He, too, never had much luck in film adaptations of his books.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Nov 8, 2013 12:09 PM

I read the novel, but it was so long ago I dont remember how it differed from the film. I've never seen the 30s version. At least the remake, whatever its shortcomings, stuck to the original ending. I know the 30s version tacked on a happy ending not in the novel. It was the only Hemingway novel I enjoyed reading (Though I havent read them all. Never tackled For Whom the Bell Tolls...).....

*The Breaking Point* and *The Macomber Affair* are two of the better Hemingway adaptations, and very good films. If you can accept that it doesn't have the flavor of Hemingway, Frank Borzage's 1930s version of *A Farewell to Arms* is a pretty good romantic movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings