Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What film used TECHNICOLOR to best effect?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My top choice: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD ('38) was the ultimate in breathtaking technicolor photography. Has never been surpassed, IMO.

Other greats:

BLACK NARCISSUS

THE WIZARD OF OZ

GONE WITH THE WIND

THE THREE MUSKETEERS ('48)

THE YEARLING

PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZ. AND ESSEX

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

THE PIRATE

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK

Neil

My top choice: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD ('38) was the ultimate in breathtaking technicolor photography. Has never been surpassed, IMO.

Even though ROBIN HOOD's my all-time favorite film, I wouldn't go that far. Color photography was still evolving in 1938 (it still is now, though not necessarily for the better), and ROBIN HOOD's was certainly surpassed as early as the next year with GWTW (though, to be fair, Technicolor had improved its process in that year, which gave the cinemtographers of later films an advantage).

That's not to say that RH isn't breathtaking; the color certainly adds to its fairy-tale-like quality, but it's the quality of the overall filmmaking, from script, to casting, to performances, to direction, that make it a great film -- I first saw the film when I was in college. It was on an old b&w TV, and I still fell in love with it instantly. That's great.

GWTW had a more subdued color pallet than ROBIN HOOD. It was more realistic, but not as colorful IMO.

I was speaking mainly of the newly restored Ultra-Resolution DVD of the Flynn-de Havilland film. The scenes are just gorgeous.

For THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, I was even more impressed by the use of bright fairy-tale color (costumes, settings, outdoor scenes) than I was in the new process used to restore GWTW--color texture perhaps more natural, but definitely more subdued and geared toward realism.

Just my opinion. I can't get over how beautiful the new DVD of ROBIN HOOD looks and it remains one of my all-time favorites.

Neil

Neil

I did, too (watch it I mean)! First time I really watched it all the way through. The color was fantastic! But, I don't know, I am still torn. I saw Black Narcissus again, too, and the color in all of the films is so beautiful. Just how can you differentiate? When I saw GWTW the other day, the credits just blew me away! I had forgotten how gorgeous that movie was. Then, I agree, Robin Hood is exceptional! I just thank the Gods of Technicolor! What a boost to the movies! But, don't get me wrong, if I had to chose, I would forgo color all together and just stick with B&W!

My favorite pairing, and a FABULOUS technicolor film was Leave Her to Heaven. Jeanne Crain and Gene Tierney, two of my favorites. Jeanne was just so fresh and sincere, and I thought she was sooooo pretty! A gal any guy would be proud to have on his arm!

Yup, she is in my second string. My wife and I used to play this game. We could only pic 4 major stars to be our favorites. But, then we saw so many movies we created another string of 4. So, then we had 8 each, women and men. If she had lived, there would me no telling how many 4s we would have!

Gee Garbomaniac you make me all teary eyed when you talk about your grand dame (with all respect). I think that it's great that you can speak of her, I guess it kind of keeps her 'alive', right? I am very sorry that you have had to carry on without her.She must have just adored you, I can tell by the way you speak of your day to day antics.

Oh, yeah. Well, it is easy to talk about her online. If you were to talk to me face to face it might be a different story! But, yeah, I miss my buddy. We had everything in common. She loved the old movies. So, now I am glad I found this forum as an outlet. I know I probably talk too much on it, but it keeps me busy.

Funny at this time of night, almost everyone is gone!

I think that you speak just enough, I mean, gosh! You have all of this knowledge and I hardly ever get to finish a movie because I'm up and down an awful lot. That's why sometimes I can read a thread but I can't even pinpoint an answer, my love is vast but my knowledge is little. Ha! Ha!

I'm just diving into the whole classic thing after a while being out of touch with it, but the love will always be there. I just wish I had more time to see the movies. I wish I could contribute more to the comments on the thread.

Oh, I don't know! And, I am no historian. And! I wouldn't go head to head with any of these guys! They will blow you right out of the water! If you read the whole thread, some people have made slight errors in judgement and get volumes of info about their ignorance. So, I just keep low in areas I know nothing about. I just know technicolor was in the late thirties and through the forties. Sometime in the fifties things started to change. So, If you want to play save, just talk about those years and you'll be fine!!! Ha!