Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars you find gorgeous but aren't the usual suspects

Lagamorpha

Usual suspects for women include Ava, Audrey, Liz, Gene Tierney, Linda Darnell, Grace, Marilyn, Catherine Zeta Jones, Michelle Pheiffer, Angelina Jolie, etc

Usual suspects for men include Redford, Newman, Brando, Tyrone Power, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Gable, Connery, Gregory Peck, etc

*_Men_*

Herbert Lom in his youth

Louis Jourdan

Dean Stockwell

Rutger Hauer

Clint Eastwood

Dolph Lundgren

*Women*

Gena Rowlands

Merle Oberon

June Haver

Dorothy Lamour

Yvette Mimieux

France Nuyen

Julie London

Anouk Aimee

Capucine

Merle Oberon isn't a 'usual suspects'? I know she is for me (right up there with Ava for me).

Anyhow, I would say Bette Davis but only in the years 1935 and 1936 when she had that short blonde hair. I just love her big eyes with that shorter hair.

Merle Oberon is my personal "usual suspect" but I've been surprised in life that a good number of people while finding her attractive don't find her a raving beauty.

To me Merle Oberon is wallowing in misery if she dumps me causing me to write legendary poetry and music before I die homeless of an overdose raving-beauty worthy.

In my case at least, I find that I've been "conditioned" to find some stars gorgeous.

As a child I had some favorites that I found beautiful and still do so I consider that my "pure" admiration. I remember I found Gene Tierney, Merle Oberon, Katharine Hepburn, Susan Hayward, Jayne Kennedy, Madeleine Carroll, Donna Dixon, and Morgan Brittany among others as gorgeous.

While good-looking to me I didn't find Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner or Natalie Wood raving beauties. I think I just kept hearing it over and over that I eventually found them raving beautiful. Watching their movies also "conditioned" me.

It still happens. I thought Nicole Kidman was cute in her red-headed days but not gorgeous. Then I had a friend who finds her God's gift to beauty and kept reminding me how beautiful she is so in the past few years I have found her red-headed period beautiful. I can't get into the post Moulin Rouge phase though.

I don't know if this happens to you guys. Naturally on my own I can watch a movie or interview and begin to perceive the face differently

but other people's opinions can still "change my mind." It's weird I think but I am weird.

I too would place Merle Oberon, Dorothy Lamour, Sophia Loren and Capucine in the usual suspect.category. A few others not yet mentioned.....Phyllis Brooks, Arleen Whelan, Hedy Lamarr, Maria Montez, Ella.Raines, Yvonne Decarlo, Debra Paget, Gina Lollabrigida, Silvana Mangano.....

Edited by: Arturo on Nov 11, 2013 1:24 AM

Well I guess we all have a different set of 'usual suspects'.

I assume that if there was a poll Hedy Lamarr would be ranked as one of the top 10 most beautiful.

Note that a lot of the actresses you mention have an ethnic look. I find that very attractive but others may find the look too different for their taste.

If you take a poll, count me as saying that Hedy Lamarr and Marta Toren were, and are, the two most beautiful actresses ever.

I'm even including Garbo in that statement, although I have a photograph that shows that she was *really* beautiful before Hollywood got hold of her. Some day I may figure out how to post photos; when I do, I predict that there will be gasps all over this forum.

Some other gorgeous women imho, that have not yet been mentioned: Maureen O'Hara, Elaine Stewart, Catherine Deneuve, and if not mentioned....Rita Hayworth, Louise Brooks, and Kim Novak.

James, yes I am partial to brunettes....growing up in latino barrios, I have always preferred women with an ethnic or exotic look. Although, hard to account for taste....I would never have listed Better Davis in this list. Sure, she could convey beauty with the force of her acting, and in the period of 1933~34, when WB tried promoting her as a glamorous star, she sure looked cute with her blonde looks. But gorgeous she never was, at least not by my reckoning.

I think Dorothy McGuire was beautiful too. I think everyone looks "ethnic."

If brunette is moreso "ethnic" then it is quite "common" really as most of the world and many of the celebrated Hollywood beauties have been brunette--Ava, Sophia, Taylor, Vivien, Tierney, Darnell, Jolie, Hedy, Natalie Wood, Audrey, Raquel

Katharine Ross, Peggy Cummins, Nia Peeples, Tuesday Weld, Karina Lombard, Virna Lisi, Romy Schneider, Eleanor Parker, Kelly Hu

Michael York, Armand Assante

I just caught a few minutes of Priscilla Lane yesterday afternoon, I think she is the ultimate in "cute" , does that translate into gorgeous? In any event, I can watch her all day :) --- Other brunettes, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, Anne Baxter (Fox had a thing for brunettes).

Funny but I was thinking the same thing while watching Men Are Such Fools. Priscilla Lane is the ultimate version of 'cuteness'!

But Bogie was wasted in this film. As we discussed he never turned down a role and just took part after part.

Archived