Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stars you find gorgeous but aren't the usual suspects

Lagamorpha

Here's the gals i find gorgeous but aren't the ones usually mentioned:

ida lupino, alexis smith, vera ralston, diana dors, ella raines, lizabeth scott, evelyn ankers, maria montez, ruth roman, ellen drew, margaret lockwood, patricia medina, faith domergue, claire trevor, roz russell, arlene dahl, gail patrick, andrea king, corinne calvet, eve arden, arline judge, evelyn keyes, marilyn maxwell, dorothy lamour, julie bishop, anita ekberg, signe hasso, audrey totter, viveca lindfors, barbara payton, martha o'driscoll, sylvia sidney, constance dowling, helena carter, barbara nichols, mari blanchard, and marie windsor.

Yootha Joyce is not attractive in the conventional sense, but I find her face very sensual -- that mouth! I first became aware of her in the AVENGERS episode, "Something Nasty in the Nursery." She also has a memorable scene with Anne Bancroft in THE PUMPKIN EATER.

Edited by: faceinthecrowd on Nov 26, 2013 6:33 AM

• 2 weeks later...

We are absolutely on the same page on that one, james. That look on Joan Blondell's face when Tom (Cagney) and Matt (Woods) first see her and Mae Clarke in that speakeasy is something. Hot is too mild to describe it as far as I'm concerned. Jean Harlow is a "usual suspect", but has nothing on Joan Blondell.

• 2 months later...

Eleanor Powell - Her smile lights up a room. Her dancing is absolute perfection and I find it exhilarating. I can't take my eyes off of her. A lot of her dances are on YouTube and I'd be embarrassed to admit how many times I've watched them, and I'll continue to do so. She's the greatest anti-depressant I've ever had. She's gorgeous, mesmerizing, and glorious.

This thread proves that there are no ?unknown? actors. I am not familiar with some of the people listed so I have homework to do. Others I am but would not have thought of.

Two others: Joi Lansing and Zohra Lampert. Total opposites in coloring and type but both beautiful and talented. I knew I'd never look like Joi but had hope I'd grow up somewhere near Zohra. After all, she did get Warren Beatty in *Splendor in the Grass.*

For some reason, I always found Humphrey Bogart in "The Petrified Forest" and "Casablanca" attractive. I know he's usually described as looking like a "basset hound" or whatever, and granted, he's no Errol Flynn, but for whatever reason, I thought he looked great in the movies I mentioned.

I also found William Holden really attractive in the movies he did in the 50s. There was something about him when he was really young, like "Golden Boy," where he didn't really do anything for me-- not sure why; but in "Sunset Blvd" and "Picnic," for example, I find him really attractive.

I also always thought Desi Arnaz was really great looking-- at least when he's younger like in his film debut "Too Many Girls" and the first few seasons of "I Love Lucy." Like many stars of his time, he too started aging quicker than he probably would have were he not smoking and drinking heavily and dealing with the stress of running a major studio.

William Powell I always thought was attractive. He's definitely not conventionally attractive like some of his peers; however, there's something about him that I like. He, however, ALWAYS has to have his moustache. I think it's the moustache that makes him. In "I Love You Again," he shaves it off... and it's... just not good. He needs the moustache.

I also always loved Gene Kelly. He's very handsome, sure he's slight in stature; but so am I, so that's not a big deal. He's got great proportions and obviously, being a dancer, he always looked trim and in shape. He always makes my heart skip a few beats when he wears his "Chocolat" outfit in the Toulouse-Lautrec portion of the "An American in Paris" ballet. Plus, Gene's little scar on his cheek I always thought was cute.

Then there are my usual suspects: My beloved Errol Flynn, whom if I were born like 70 years earlier, or had access to time travel, I'd be all over him. I also like Paul Newman, Cary Grant, James Dean, Montgomery Clift (before his accident) and young Warren Beatty. ::Sigh:: They just don't make 'em like they used to!

• 3 weeks later...

Women who are rarely mentioned as knockouts but seem so to me:

Anna Magnani (at any age)

Eve Arden

Pier Angeli

Virginia McKenna

Glynis Johns

Virginia Maskell

Helen Chandler

Margaret Sullavan

Simone Signoret (at any age)

Men who are very attractive, though rarely mentioned as catnip:

Lew Ayres

Chester Morris

Richard Dix

Neil Hamilton

Victor Jory

Conrad Veidt

Allyn Joslyn

Noah Beery, Jr. 

Noah Beery, Jr. 

Oooooh, Moira, how sweet you included cuddly bear Noah, jr.  I just adore him. :)

My picks:

Robert Ryan

Will Rogers

Richard Boone

Orson Welles

Walter Huston

Humphrey Bogart

Oh, I have had a big crush on Noah Beery, Jr. since I was little. He is so endearing. Love that you included Walter Huston in your list. That guy was so appealing--physically and psychologically.

Gosh, I thought that everyone regarded Bogart as attractive, but maybe not, since you are not the only person who felt the urge to add him to the list. Two guys I forgot to add to my list, since they are rarely regarded as captivating fellows in any conventional sense: Ward Bond & Charles Bickford.

Noah Beery, Jr. 

Oooooh, Moira, how sweet you included cuddly bear Noah, jr.  I just adore him. :)

My picks:

Robert Ryan

Will Rogers

Richard Boone

Orson Welles

Walter Huston

Humphrey Bogart

Oh, I have had a big crush on Noah Beery, Jr. since I was little. He is so endearing. Love that you included Walter Huston in your list. That guy was so appealing--physically and psychologically.

Gosh, I thought that everyone regarded Bogart as attractive, but maybe not, since you are not the only person who felt the urge to add him to the list. Two guys I forgot to add to my list, since they are rarely regarded as captivating fellows in any conventional sense: Ward Bond & Charles Bickford.

It's when I separate Bogie's physical appearance from his personality/character that the attraction diminishes.  He had a powerful personality, "charisma" that made him into a romantic figure, and that's what make it hard to take my eyes off him1.

Those are two live wires you named there in Bond and Bickford.   :D

I forgot to add Sterling Hayden to my list.  He doesn't often show up on top ten male beauties but he was good looking and had presence.  But it was after reading one of this books that I began to find him attractive in any real way.

I just caught a few minutes of Priscilla Lane yesterday afternoon, I think she is the ultimate in "cute" , does that translate into gorgeous? In any event, I can watch her all day :) --- Other brunettes, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, Anne Baxter (Fox had a thing for brunettes).

Well, considering Alice Faye, June Haver, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield (to name a few), were all Fox stars, I'd say they had a thing for blondes, too.

Many of the women mentioned here, ARE the usual suspects, imo.

Well, considering Alice Faye, June Haver, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield (to name a few), were all Fox stars, I'd say they had a thing for blondes, too.

Many of the women mentioned here, ARE the usual suspects, imo.

..and the most beautiful Fox brunettes of all, Gene Tierney and Susan Hayward.

• 1 month later...

A couple for me are James Coburn and Oscar Levant.  Coburn has a cocky earthiness, and was such a fine actor, while Oscar's wit, intelligence, and musical talent--not to mention his endless neuroses--make him a fascinating, appealing character, to me at least.  

Eve Arden and Glynis Johns have been mentioned, and I agree that both are very attractive.

Archived