Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

What a friend to send me this beautiful collection of over two hundred photos of Tyrone. Thank you so much for your kindness. My favorites are his solo portraits, anything with Loretta Young and Lind Darnell, and the stills from THE RAINS CAME and THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY.

For the TCM ultimate fan contest, I inadvertently left off a request for THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, and the third tryout for THE RAZOR`s EDGE.

FYI...The Fox Movie Channel will be showing Tyrone Power on Wednesday, 12/04:

9:40 am est, 6:40 am pst:

UNTAMED

The adventures of a Boer leader (Power) trekking through South Africa with a group of travellers.

Cast: Agnes Moorehead, Henry King, John Justin, Richard Egan, Susan Hayward, Tyrone Power

Director: Henry King

Arturo,thanks for the reminder that UNTAMED will be shown Wednesday, December,4 2913 at 9:40 am est. This will be the first viewing for me and the deciding factor in resigning with FMC. In a side not Rita Moreno and Hope Emerson are also featured in this film.Hope had previously appeared as Tyrone`s landlady in THAT WONDERFUL URGE.Today I sent a stamped self addressed envelope to TCM. I would to have the list of the winners of the Ultimate Fan Contest. I cannot find a posting of the winners list.

I know this is a thread about Ty Power. But earlier there was some discussion about his frequent costar Loretta Young. When she was SOTM last January, TCM did air a few of her Columbia comedies and I thought they were great.

TB you are welcome to discuss Loretta Young. I thought that she was the perfect match for TY in the 30`s. It is my misfortune not to have see LADIES and SUEZ. I am working my way thru Tyrone`s catalog of films. When Loretta was SOTM last January I dvr`d eighteen of her films. Loretta asked Harry Cohn of Columbia for $75,000 per picture, but she settled for $50,000. The five films that she made for Columbia are The Doctor Takes A Wife, He Stayed For Breakfast, The Men In Her Life, Bedtime Story, and A Night To Remember. I enjoyed the THE DOCTOR TAKE A WIFE, BEDTIME STORY, and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER. I have not see HE STAYED FOR BREAKFAST or THE MEN IN HER LIFE.

*Loretta asked Harry Cohn of Columbia for $75,000 per picture, but she settled for $50,000.*

My understanding of the situation is that it was announced that Columbia would pay Loretta $75,000 per picture, when in reality it was actually $50,000. The former amount was supposedly half her asking price, which would make that $150,000. Loretta, having been idle for the better part of a year, jumped at this opportunity, despite the hefty cut in pay. And by paying her so cheap, Cohn in effect ended the blacklist of Loretta by the industry, which Zanuck had instigated when she refused to re-sign with Fox.

I'm interested in stats related to how stars were paid. E.g. how many were under contact with a studio and paid on a weekly basis? I always assumed this was the most common type of contract.

How many were paid on a per film basis? And when 'per film' was there a minimum number of films they had to make for the studio, per year? Could they make films with other studios as long as they meet this minimum?

How many were truly independent. (A per film contract).

Please note I?m not asking you or anyone else here to answers these questions, I just wanted to point out a behind the scenes area of the movie making business I find interesting as it relates to the studio era.

You made me curious, so I looked it up:

$50,000 of 1940 dollars would be worth: $833,333.33 in 2013

$75,000 of 1940 dollars would be worth: $1,250,000.00 in 2013

Now, that's a lot of cabbage!

Tyrone will be represented in March with the terrific western JESSE JAMES costarring Henry Fonda on March 16, and he is the narrarator pf RISING OF THE MOON on March 17. I keep hoping that LUCK OF THE IRISH will be shown at some point on St. Patrick`s Day.

According to "The Films Of Tyrone Power, before the war Ty had been earning as much as $5,000 per week. Tyrone asked for a Jimmy Stewart deal before making MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER for Universal International. The picture was a box office smash, and Ty`s percentage deal earned him almost one million dollars.

>TB you are welcome to discuss Loretta Young. I thought that she was the perfect match for TY in the 30`s. It is my misfortune not to have see LADIES and SUEZ. I am working my way thru Tyrone`s catalog of films. When Loretta was SOTM last January I dvr`d eighteen of her films. Loretta asked Harry Cohn of Columbia for $75,000 per picture, but she settled for $50,000. The five films that she made for Columbia are The Doctor Takes A Wife, He Stayed For Breakfast, The Men In Her Life, Bedtime Story, and A Night To Remember. I enjoyed the THE DOCTOR TAKE A WIFE, BEDTIME STORY, and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER. I have not see HE STAYED FOR BREAKFAST or THE MEN IN HER LIFE.

I love all her Columbia films. She also made another one for the studio in the 50s, before she headed off to the green pastures of television. It was a drama called PAULA.

I enjoyed my first viewing of UNTAMED on the FMC. The action was colorful and exciting. I especially liked the whip duel. The movie was Susan Hayward`s relationship with three men including Tyrone during the Boer trek thru hostile South Africa.

UNTAMED is scheduled go be shown on FMC tomorrow Monday, 12/09 at 9 am eastern,.and Tuesday, 12/10 at 7:15 am eastern.

Arturo, thanks for the reminder for UNTAMED. The movie was really Susan Hayward`s which was fine. Tyrone was away from the screen for long stretches of time which I knew beforehand. I want to rewatch this film soon in case I missed something the first time. Last night I watched DIPLOMATIC COURIER again, and I got much more out of the intriguing plot shifts.

In a few days I will be receiving some of Tyrone`s dvd`s that I ordered. THIN ICE and THE SUN ALSO RISES are eagerly anticipated. After watching the films, I will share my thoughts.

Last night I watched THIN ICE or fun and frolic on the snow and ice. Tyrone plays a prince who arrives at a winter resort. He slips away incognito so his delegation can deal with details concerning a neutrality pact. While skiing on the slope, he meets Sonja Henie. She is a skating instructor at the resort hotel. Joan Davis is hilarious as the orchestra leader. The movie is kind of a poor man`s version of ROMAN HOLIDAY, but it was fun. THIN ICE was Sonja`s second movie, and Ty`s first of two films that he made with her.

My last viewing of a TP film was BRIGHAM YOUNG. The sweeping epic tells the story of the Morman leader Brigham Young. He leads his flock after the death of Joseph Smith from Illinois to Utah. The wagon train suffers hardships before reaching the promised land at the great Salt Lake. Tyrone and Linda Darnell handled the love interest in the film. They make a good team, but Dean Jagger as Brigham Young has more playing time. This is Ty`s second movie with director Henry Hathaway, and he staged a climatic locust plague.

I've always enjoyed BY, and think it an interesting, well.done epic. Unfortunately, it has the reputation of having flopped. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was a big grossing film, however it was expensive to make, and it barely broke even. And its got a great cast, and some magnificent scenery.

Let me give my thanks to Fred C. Dobbs for posting the link to LADIES IN LOVE. The movie is not available for sale, and the film was a first time viewing for me. LADIES IN LOVE is the first of the five films that Tyrone and Loretta Young made together. The movie is a women`s picture in four parts. The actors have minor roles compared to the actresses. Tyrone has little screen time in this film, but with his next picture LLOYD`S OF LONDON he became a star.

Audience reaction to Power's featured role in LADIES IN LOVE, as we'll as his bit in the earlier GIRLS DORMITORY, as gauged by mail to the studio enquiring about the newcomer, convinced Darryl Zanuck to take a chance and star him in LLOYDS OF LONDON. WhenTy first started at Fox, he started filming the juvenile lead in an Alice.Faye , SING BABY SING, but Zanuck replaced.him for a "name", Michael Whalen.

Tuesday morning, FMC will show THE BLACK ROSE (1950), and on Saturday morning, TCM will show THE BLACK SWAN (1942), two adventure movies starring Tyrone Power.

Arturo, thanks for the reminder of THE BLACK ROSE on FMC, and THE BLACK SWAN upcoming on TCM. THE BLACK SWAN is my favorite of Tyrone`s swashbuckler roles. The whole cast is first rate, and Ty and Maureen are wonderful together. Technicolor makes a big difference too. Twentieth Century Fox studios color was bright and crisp, and it especially suited this adventure film. Merry Christmas to you, and thanks for your helpful input.

Just a reminder that THE BLACK SWAN will be shown today at 4:30 pm. As I have previously wrote, this movie is my favorite of Tyrone`s adventure films. TCM will not be showing any of Ty`s films in January, but he will be back again in February with four films including ALEXANDER`S RAGTIME BAND.

A Christmas gift that I bought for myself was SECOND FIDDLE the second movie starting Tyrone and Sonja Henie. Ty plays a publicity chief for Consolidated Pictures. He is in charge of a campaign to publicize the search for the right actress to play the lead in "Girl Of The North". Ty is sent to Minnesota to interview a schoolteacher (Henie) for the role. Sonia auditions and wins the role over hundreds of other hopefuls. After Sonja wins the role, Ty manufactures a romance between her and the leading man Rudy Vallee. This leads to all sorts of complications because Ty loves Sonja, and Rudy`s girlfriend is jealous. The music and lyrics are by Irving Berlin, and Ty has a nice singing voice in this film. I like Tyrone in a light comedy, and this was a good role for him.