Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

I discovered Tyrone Power relatively recently, and he is now one of my favorites. I unfortuantely missed NIGHTMARE ALLEY when TCM last aired it.

I would love see him have his own month on TCM and for NIGHTMARE ALLEY to be shown again.

You would like NIGHTMARE ALLEY when you see it.The last time TCM showed this film was October 16, when they honored Ty with five films. NA is Tyrone`s personal favorite, and the film is high on my list. Many film lovers who have posted on this thread also have enjoyed this movie. I consider NA a film noir, and Ty goes thru a wide range of emotions.The movie maybe on youtube though it isn`t the same without the commentary.

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION will be shown on TCM April 8, 2014 at 9:45 pm. This movie has not been shown for awhile so I am looking forward to viewing the film. I hope that WFTP is being shown because a person did a very good audition for this movie for the TCM Ultimate Fan Contest. Maybe TCM will post a list of the winners names soon. I also requested a list by mail.

Hi,

Looking at the April schedule, it appears that the Fan Programmers will introduce their picks during the week of April 7-11. You will be happy to know that WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION is among the ones chosen, and that is why it is airing on the evening of the 8th.

Hi TB, Thanks for telling me when the fan audtions will be shown. Since WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION was Tyrone`s last film, it is only fitting that the film was chosen. The other Ty films that were submitted were SUEZ, THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, and THE RAZOR`s EDGE. I taped the EDS during Kim Novak`s SOTM, and I purchased THE RAZOR`s EDGE. So far I haven`t seen SUEZ.

>Hi TB, Thanks for telling me when the fan audtions will be shown.

You are welcome. SUEZ aired on TCM last January when Loretta was Star of the Month. It will likely air again in the future, or else pop up on the FX Movie Channel. I think you will enjoy it.

Hi TB, I just saw your posting on the Linda Darnell site. I think that you may be right about Gene Tierney coming first as a TCM SOTM. She is Robert`s favorite, and LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN seems to be shown every month. I was hoping that it would be Ty since his 100th birthday is May 5th. But we have four of his films to look forward to viewing in February especially the tuneful ALEXANDER`s RAGTIME BAND.

UNTAMED will be on FMC tomorrow morning, Monday 1/20 twice, at 3.am and 9:40 am, both times eastern.

And on Wednesday, 1/22, FMC will show THE BLACK ROSE at 3:30 am eastern.

Tonight at 10:00 pm THE RAZOR`S EDGE will be shown. This movie was requested by some of the applicants in the TCM Ultimate Fan Viewer Contest, but it was not chosen. THE RAZOR`S EDGE was Tyrone`s first movie after serving proudly in the Marines during World War II.Darryl Zanuck spared no expense for his leading box office asset.Ty has the lead role as a man searching for spiritual peace, and his effort to share what he has found with his friends. The costars are Gene Tierney, John Payne, Herbert Marshall, Anne Baxter and Clifton Webb. The last tow stars were nominated for best supporting Oscars, and Miss Baxter won. Edmund Goulding directed, and he went on to direct Ty in his favorite movie NIGHTMARE ALLEY. The movie is long, but well worth the viewing. Sorry for the late posting, but my computer has been giving me trouble.

The movie The Razor Edge has many things going for it. The book is the type that really can't be made into a movie very well but this version has things to like, especially the performances of Baxter and Webb and the sheer beauty of Powers and Tierney.

*The Razor's Edge* is on my list of Favorite Movies of all time.I've probably seen it at least 50 times since I was a teenager (that's a long time) I think this is the film that I first fell in love with Tyrone Power in. Gene Tierney is her most beautiful I think in this one. I've always thought that Gene descending down the stairs in that black dress with the diamond clips in one of the most beautiful scenes on film. RO mentioned that a few years back and I shrieked with glee when he repeated my thoughts exactly.

Anne Baxter is superb as Sophie and marvelous Clifton Webb as Uncle Elliot. Herbert Marshall and John Payne were great. We even get a little of Elsa Lanchester and she is charming. Truly one of the great films

Anyone who has not seen this wonderful film, it's a must see

I have to add thanks TCM, tonight is a great line-up *The Best Years of Our Lives* also on my Favorite films of All Time.

I agree, lavenderblue, that THE RAZOR'S EDGE is a truly an "essential," to use TCM's terminology.

The scene where Gene Tierney spitefully sets up Anne Baxter to "fall off the wagon" is painful to watch.

I am sorry that Tyrone was not chosen as SOTM for May 2014. I will celebrate his birthday on May 5th watching movies from my own collection. Maybe TCM could not get the rights from Fox to show enough of his films. We can enjoy the three Ty films that will be shown this month THE BLACK SWAN, ALEXANDER`s RAGTIME BAND, and THIS ABOVE ALL. Ican feel for anyone who has been waiting paiently for their favorite star to be honored. In May I will look forward to watching THE MCCONNELL STORY, and MY FAVORITE YEAR. I miss Peter O`Toole very much and all his great performances.