Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

Sapphiere, I don't know if Ty will be SOTM for May, but he will be eventually when all the details can be worked out with Fox. At the "Meet TCM" panel at the film festival this year, someone asked Charlie Tabesh, the head TCM programmer, about having Fox stars as SOTM, and he said that this is something TCM would very much like. The two he mentioned by name were Marilyn Monroe and Tyrone Power.

As you noted in your original post, more Tyrone Power films have been appearing on TCM in the last year. Fox now seems to be willing to lease films (for the right price, no doubt) they used to keep for themselves, as the upcoming TCM premieres of *Laura* and *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* indicate.

Tyrone Power for SOTM is a great idea. The programmers work about six months ahead, so they are probably working on May now.

Interesting that Tabesh catered to the masses by mentioning Monroe.

Susan Hayward was a much better actress than Monroe and I would rather see her as SOTM over Monroe.

Have you ever seen her guest-star turn on Bonanza where she plays an opportunistic widow with--ironically--a gambling problem. (She also at one point appears in the heavy satin-and-passementerie gown Olivia de Havilland wore in The Heiress. Since Bonanza was in color, you see that the gown wasn't cherry red at all but more of a lavender blue.)

Monroe was on Bonanza? Interesting. I'll have to look for that.

She might be good in that since one of my favorite films of hers is the one she did with Mitchum; The River of No Return.

Note that I don't dislike Monroe; She had some fine performances. But is is funny that you mention Olivia DeHavilland since I find it crazy that the AFI list Monroe as high as they do in their Top 25 Actress list and Olivia isn't there at all!

Yes, I understand that Monroe, like Dean, Garbo, and a few others are iconic figures known more for things outside the acting in their movies.

Thanks for the imformation concerning the TCM programmers opinions.It is good news that Fox is opening up their vault. I could kick myself that I didn`t start this post on October 16.TCM premiered "Rawhide" and "Nightmare Alley" on that night. "Rawhide", "The Mark Of Zorro", and "The Black Swan" were first showings for me. I had seen many of Ty`s movies before, but after these three, he stuck with me. "Nightmare Alley" I saw on a big screen at the George Eastman House Dryden Theatre in Rochester, NY my former home. Now I live in Mississippi. It would be nice to visit Tunica, MS. where TY married his third wife Debbie. My fingers are crossed for a 100th birthday SOTM. If that is not to be, I would settle for a 24 hour tribute on May 5his birthday, or a SUTS in August.

Monroe was on Bonanza? Interesting. I'll have to look for that.

Oops! I was replying to your earlier post about Julie Adams!

Oh, I have seen the Julie Adams episode of Bonanza. She still was a looker. One of the nicest pair of legs in the business.

Even a creature in a lagoon noticed that!

Back to Power; If he is SOTM there will be something for everyone. His female co-stars were always beauties and for my wife he is one of her top 3 (Grant and Flynn being the others).

>Tonight I watched the movie on You Tube. The movie is a pre Civil War of a high stakes riverboat gambler. Ty gets mixed up in fencing duels, riverboat brawls, and John McIntire is his trusty sidekick. Piper Laurie and Julia Adams are the love interests. Dennis Weaver has a cameo in a early role. MG is a thoroughly entertaining romantic melodrama.

Glad you had the chance to watch MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER.

Thank you Sapphiere, in your support of my efforts to get Linda Darnell selected as SOTM. Yes I've seen BRIGHAM YOUNG; in fact, other than the two films Linda made in Italy in the 50s, I believe I've seen all her movies, and at least half of her tv stints. I also have BY on dvd, both manufactured and recorded from an airing (FMC?). Additionally, i have bought all of her films that have been released commercially on dvd, with the exception of those on the recent (and ongoing) Fox Archives series....I intend to purchase these as well, in the hopes that they will continue to release more from their vaults. I also have most other movies Linda did on dvd, recorded from airings, or have bought some available on ebay or ioffer, of variable quality, in my efforts to get all her films, and hopefully, tv appearances.

Back to BRIGHAM YOUNG. I really enjoy this epic depicting the westward migration of the mormons in the mid 19th century. It has gone down as having flopped, but only because of its expense (the studios costliest movie till then). This was Ty and Linda's second costarring ventures, and their roles are subsidiary to the main story; they were added for boxoffice insurance, since the title character was little known to movie audiences then, Dean Jagger.

Edited by: Arturo on Nov 11, 2013 3:18 PM

Thank you Arturo on your feedback of "Brigham Young". I definetly would like to see to see this movie. So far I have twenty eight of Tyrone`s. Seventy five per cent I own, and the rest are on my dvr player. You are way ahead of me with Linda`s collection. When I order a dvd, they have been from Amazon.Today "Rose Of Washington Square" arrived. Even though we have our collection, how nice it would be to hear the commentary of Robert or Ben if Ty or Linda were chosen to SOTM.

Back to Power; If he is SOTM there will be something for everyone. His female co-stars were always beauties and for my wife he is one of her top 3 (Grant and Flynn being the others).

Yes indeed. If not the greatest actor to come out of Hollywood, he is a genial presence and his films cover a broad spectrum. He'd be a great choice for SOTM, if they can access his Fox films.

He's always been my #1 favorite male star as far as looks go. Just pure pleasure to look at.

I would love to see Thin Ice--even though I'm sure it's fluff. It's one of the last Power films I need to check off my list so I can say I've seen them all.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoy watching Tyrone`s movies also. Personally, I can watch "The Eddy Duchin Story" over and over again. The Sonja Henie films with Ty would be a treat for me too. Besides "Thin Ice" they also starred in "Second Fiddle". On the box set that I own of Tyrone`s movies, the actress Jayne Meadow`s comments that the ice skating movies were her favorites. She costarred with Ty in "Luck Of The Irish".

TB, I found a website where I can purchase "Mississippi Gambler". It was ok watching the movie on you tube, but I had trouble going from Chapter 4 to Chapter 5. I enjoy you tube though for viewing stars on game shows. Tyrone was the mystery guest on "What`s My Line" in March 1955.

Yes. I own a copy of MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER that I bought a few years ago on ioffer. After our recent discussion, I decided to look at it again last night. The print is somewhat washed out, but it's not bad. I am surprised that TCM and Universal haven't partnered up to issue a restored print on DVD. Maybe if he is chosen as SOTM, that will happen.

TCM aired Second Fiddle earlier this year and it is charming. It's nice because it's one of those early films where he's not playing that unrepentant heel. While Jimmy Sutton is involved in a scam, he lives to regret his role in it. The songwriting scene is one of my favorites, so charming. I think this is where Power really shines, where he is allowed to channel his affable self.

If TCM can work out the details with Fox for Power, they can do the same thing for Susan Hayward. I saw them both in RAWHIDE, and she "jumped" off the screen more than he did.

Susan Hayward would make a wonderful choice as SOTM . I have read two biographies on her life. She had a hard upbringing and became a star. My favorite movies are "I`ll Cry Tomorrow" ,"I Want To Live", and "the seldom seen "I Can Get It For You Wholesale".Ty and Susan also made "Untamed" 1955 a adventure film set in the Boer country of South Africa.UnfortunatelyI haven`t seen the film yet.

Sapphire,

If you have the Fox Movie Channel (FMC), UNTAMED had been on heavy rotation there for several.months. They must air it several times a month. A few months back, FMC was also showing THIN ICE, but not more recently.

Arturo, I do not have FMC anymore. I will have to purchase this film to add to my collection. My sole efforts are in watching TCM, since I very seldom watching the major networks. I apologize for not mentioning earlier, but it pleased me very much to see that Linda`s movie "A Letter To Three Wives" is scheduled for February. Her segment with Paul Douglas and Thelma Ritter is the best of the three.

A .LETTER.TO THREE WIVES is one of two movies which featured Linda that have been selected.by TCM as an Essential. ALTTW was chosen in 2011, and it's repeat in August coincided with Linda's SUTS tribute that year. The other film Essential was selected this year, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, and was repeated in August as part of Rex Harrison's SUTS day.

Edited by: Arturo on Nov 12, 2013 4:25 PM

TCM should be able to get the rights to air a fair number of Susan Hayward's movies from Fox. What would be ideal would be getting a representative number of her early 40s Paramount movies, where as second lead, made a name for herself and the enmity of the leading ladies, as she had the reputation of stealing the film.

Btw, FMC is currently showing the following Hayward movies, besides the aforementioned UNTAMED: THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO, and WOMAN OBSESSED. A few months back, they would have SOLDIER OF FORTUNE, I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, and GARDEN OF EVIL.

Arturo, you are wiser than me with your posts. It sticks in my mind that THE RAZOR`S EDGE was an essential during the 2012-2013 season. I did research, but could not find the answer. THE RAZOR`S EDGE will be shown during the 31 days of Oscar on February 5,2014.

I'd love to see maore of Susan on FMC, but, unfortunately, that channel was yanked away from me a couple years ago. Comcast never asked me whether I was a Susan Hayward fan.

I watched the trailer for UNTAMED, and the movie looked interesting. Good cast and faraway locales. Directv carries FMC, but I became discouraged of the number of reruns and lack of variety. Fox has a treasure trove of wonderful classic films. I thought of some more of my favorite Susan films. AND NOW TOMOROW,CANYON PASSAGE,THEY WON`T BELIEVE ME,MY FOOLISH HEART, and THE LUSTY MEN. I am fortunate that most of these films are in my collection. Good luck in TCM chosing Susan as SOTM. She is long overdue for the honor.I admire her personal life also.

You're correct that THE RAZOR`S EDGE was an Essential last year.

A rare opportunity to see Power and Tierney on TCM (due to access rights issues).