Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

> It sticks in my mind that THE RAZOR`S EDGE was an essential during the 2012-2013 season. I did research, but could not find the answer.

*The Razor's Edge* aired on August 25, 2012 as part of Tyrone Power's SUTS day. It aired in the 8:00 pm/5:00 pm *Essentials* slot.

Edited by: lzcutter for wrong year

I save My Now Playing guides, but somehow I cannot find the August 2012 issue. Last December I moved from NY to MS. and the lost guide may still be in a box. I thought that Gene Tierney was the SUTS honoree that month, but I will trust your judgement.

Tonight at 10:00 pm TCM will be showing JOHNNY APOLLO starring Tyrone Power, Dorothy Lamour, Edward Arnold, Lloyd Nolan, and Charley Grapewin. The original title was Dance With The Devil. Alice Faye was busy on another film, so Dorothy Lamour was borrowed from Paramount. Don Ameche went over to Paramount to complete the switch. Ty plays his only gangster role, and Dorothy received fine reviews for her role as a club singer and racketeer`s moll. She sings a lovely tune "This Is the beginning of the end".Watch for the scene in the bedroom where Ty is talking to his father Edward Arnold. The photo on the wall behind Ty is his mother.JOHNNY APOLLO marked the beginning of a five picture collaboration between director Henry Hathaway and TY, the second longest in his career.

Dorothy also sings and dances another number, "Dancing for Nickels.and Dimes" wearing short."rags" showing off her sexy legs.

Don Ameche was supposed to go to Paramount to film THE NIGHT OF JANUARY 16th, but he refused to do this film. He honored the commitment a year later with the enjoyable KISS THE BOYS GOODBYE, with Mary Martin.

PS.....on Fox Movie Channel,.on Sunday and Monday morning, will be shown CAFE METROPOLE witb Loretta Young, a romantic comedy also featuring Adolph Menjou, Helen Westley and Charles Winninger.

Edited by: Arturo on Nov 17, 2013 2:16 AM

I mentioned this on another thread, that Power's career probably would have been even more evolved had he freelanced the way Cary Grant did. After Power did "Marie Antoinette", Zanuck refused to lend him out to other studios, and as a result, lost chances for roles like Ashley Wilkes in GWTW and Joe Bonaparte in "Golden Boy".

Also to note, that Ty Power was a big radio star, doing everything from Jack Benny's show to Shakespeare, and was becoming a prominent stage actor, having excelled in roles such as "Mr. Roberts" and "John Brown's Body".

Tyrone appeared on the radio for almost twenty years. A represention of his films that he acted on the radio were LOVE IS NEWS with Loretta Young, BLOOD AND SAND with Annabella,THIS ABOVE ALL with Barbara Stanwyck, A YANK IN THE RAF with Betty Grable,ALEXANDER~S RAGTIME BAND with Dinah Shore and Al Jolson,and tonight`s feature JOHNNY APOLLO with Dorothy Lamour and Lloyd Nolan. Sometimes I wished I lived in the period when these shows were broadcast on the radio.

Besides admiring Susan acting abilities, she converted to Catholicism during her second marriage. She was very happy married to Eaton Chalkey. His death devastated Susan. Tomorrow I will be watching I`LL CRY TOMORROW.UNTAMED is on my list to watch..

"Dancing For Dimes And Nickels" was a musical number that I enjoyed. Dorothy had a good singing voice. The only other movie that I have seen her in was THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. Don Ameche was correct in holding out for the second movie. It received much better reviews, and Mary Martin costarred.

Tyrone would have helped his career if he had gone freelance after World War II. The result would have been better scripts and directors.TY had many obligations. Zanuck offered him THE RAZOR`s EDGE, and the movie seemed like a good fit. If he hadn`t resigned with Fox, we may never have seen NIGHMARE ALLEY. NA was Tyrone`s favorite film. He made out very well financially on MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER. The three films that he made for Columbia THE LONG GRAY LINE, THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, and ABANDON SHIP are nothing to be ashamed of.

I like ABANDON SHIP! very much. I consider it one of his best. He was certainly not phoning it in at the end. His work was only getting better.

I like ABANDON SHIP! very much. I consider it one of his best. He was certainly not phoning it in at the end. His work was only getting better.

I also really like him in THE LONG GRAY LINE. I think it's one of his warmest and most natural performances.

Thanks for mentioning *The Long Gray Line* , a very entertaining, fun film (John Ford directing no less) and Ty Power works very well with Maureen O'Hara.

Thank you TCM and Fox for the premier of JOHNNY APOLLO. It was interesting to hear Robert say that Edward Arnold`s character was based on a real person. Tyrone and the director Henry Hathaway became very close. The four other movies they did together are BRIGHAM YOUNG,THE BLACK ROSE, RAWHIDE, and DIPLOMATIC COURIER. Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway were godparents to Ty and Linda Christian`s first child Romina.

TB, I am happy that you enjoyed ABANDON SHIP. Tyrone`s theatre work in the London company of Mister Roberts and his participation in John`s Brown Body could only have enhanced his movie acting.

>Tyrone would have helped his career if he had gone freelance after World War II. The result would have been better scripts and directors.TY had many obligations. Zanuck offered him THE RAZOR`s EDGE, and the movie seemed like a good fit. If he hadn`t resigned with Fox, we may never have seen NIGHMARE ALLEY. NA was Tyrone`s favorite film. He made out very well financially on MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER. The three films that he made for Columbia THE LONG GRAY LINE, THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, and ABANDON SHIP are nothing to be ashamed of.

I wonder how TP would have fared if he accepted the lead role in "The Robe", which went to Richard Burton? Supposedly Power turned down the role because he was tired of costume films and wanted to devote more time to the theater. I think he would have brought more life to the Marcellus Gallio part. Ironically (and tragically), he died making a costume film.

>I am happy that you enjoyed ABANDON SHIP. Tyrone`s theatre work in the London company of Mister Roberts and his participation in John`s Brown Body could only have enhanced his movie acting.

I would agree with that assessment. He gives a great performance in THE SUN ALSO RISES, which was his last film for 20th Century Fox.

>He gives a great performance in THE SUN ALSO RISES

I would argue that The Sun Also Rises is the one performance of Ty Power's later career that is not impressive. To be fair, Jake Barnes is a difficult role for an actor to play. In between genuinely impressive work in both Abandon Ship and Witness for the Prosecution, Power is bland and dull in Sun Also Rises, in my opinion. (Nor does he look physically healthy). Errol Flynn, in a smaller but more colourful part, walks away with that film.

By this time everyone know my opinion of Tyrone Power. Unfortunately I have never seen THE SUN ALSO RISES. In everything that I have read concerning this movie, all the stars are too old for their roles. The critics said that Errol Flynn came off best, but he didn`t look well either. An interesting side note Gregory Ratoff, Ty`s director in a few 1930`s films has a role.THE SUN ALSO RISES was the last of the eleven movies that Tyrone made with director Henry King.

When Hollywood's two most famous talkie swashbucklers were finally co-starred, they were both rapidly aging middle aged former matinee idols. Sun Also Rises would give Flynn a good role and brief talk of a comeback (and possible Oscar nomination that didn't materialize) before his career would go off the rails again.

Power was enjoying a comeback with some strong performances (though, as I said, Sun Also Rises didn't happen to be one of them) when he experienced his fatal heart attack on a set in Spain. Power's death was unexpected and a shock, with thousands turning up at his funeral.

See, I think Ty really made the most of his assignment in THE SUN ALSO RISES. I would definitely not compare his performance with Flynn's because one was a lead part and the other was a supporting part, and they require different things of the actors cast in those roles. It is unfortunate that people are trying to bring age into the discussion. If Charles Coburn and Edward Everett Horton were cast in those parts and the film a comedy, nobody would say anything about their age. In a way, Ty and Flynn were competing with their younger selves and that is unfair. It is like saying that anything John Travolta does now falls short of his looks and performances in GREASE or URBAN COWBOY.

In my opinion, the actor whose work is *very* good in THE SUN ALSO RISES is the often underrated Mel Ferrer.

>In a way, Ty and Flynn were competing with their younger selves and that is unfair.

That's true, and it's even worse, as we know, for actresses.

On the positive side, though, with The Long Grey Line, Abandon Ship and Witness for the Prosecution, Tyrone Power got good roles in his late career period and the opportunity to really shine as an actor in a manner that he hadn't in his earlier matinee idol days (excluding his memorable performance in Nightmare Alley).

It was also at the end of his career, with The Sun Also Rises and Too Much Too Soon, that Flynn received his best reviews as a actor in years. While it's sad watching him play roles that are clearly variations on what he had done to himself as an alcoholic, he still had the courage to bring a heart felt poignancy to those characterizations.

>While it's sad watching him (Flynn) play roles that are clearly variations on what he had done to himself as an alcoholic, he still had the courage to bring a heart felt poignancy to those characterizations.

Well said. He elevated those performances with a slight bit of saving grace.

Well the discussion of age of the actors is very relevant to the discussion of TSAR, since all of the principals were too old. Hemingway's story deals with the Lost Generation, and.as such,.the characters are.in their mid to late 20s. With the actors substantially older than that, and with Power and especially Flynn looking even older than their actual ages, this becomes a paramount issue. Aside from that, they all do quite well, with Flynn and Ava Gardner standouts imho.