Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

*Linda was such a good partner in DAYTIME WIFE. She could only have enhanced CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE.*

I think it is a shame that Power and Darnell were never reteamed after World War 2. I think they would have been dynamite together once she was a physically mature woman, with a screen image to match. There were many opportunities, and interest from all parties, but it just didn't happen.

*And even when Zanuck recast Tierney with Power again, he did it in a mild little comedy, That Wonderful Urge, a film of no particular consequence.*

Besides in PRINCE OF FOXES, or even THE BLACK ROSE, I think Power and Tierney would have been dynamite together in GENTELMENS AGREEMENT, or in THE FOXES OF HARROW (as mentioned, they both turned it down). I also mentioned that Power would have been superb in the Jos? Ferrer role in Tierney's WHIRLPOOL, as a worthy followup to NIGHTMARE ALLEY, playing another smarmy charmer in another great noir.

Immortalized in cement at Grauman's Chinese Theater - May 31, 1937

ty_handsincement2.jpg

ty_handsincement.jpg

Grauman's_Chinese_Theatre,_tyrone_power.JPG

Ty Power's joint cement signing with co-star Loretta Young occurred remarkably early in his career, just a couple of weeks after the release of Cafe Metropole, Power's second film since being declared a star with Lloyds of London the year before. A ceremony like this is sure a great way to promote a rising star. Zanuck must have been pleased this day, along with his two stars.

Many stars (Cary Grant, Gary Cooper) didn't do it until well on in their careers while there were others (Errol Flynn, James Cagney) who never did it at all.

It would be interesting to know the studio politics involved as to which actors did and did not get their signatures, hand prints and footprints immortalized at Grauman's.

Not all those whose names appear at Grauman's were necessarily big stars, though that would usually be the case. William Lundigan is there, for example, as well as some character actors like May Robson and Edward Arnold. Robson and Arnold were wonderful talents that enhanced many a film, but huge stars they never were.

Tyrone made a wonderful comedic team with Loretta. How nice it would have been to see them together in the holiday favorite THE BISHOP`S WIFE.Ty did not ice skate in the two movies that he made with Sonja Henie. David Niven wanted the part of Dudley the angel, but he was given the bishop role instead.

Tom,thanks for the photo. Loretta`s block said "To Sid With Affection".How appropriate the signing was held jointly. My two favorite stars placing their footprints for eternity. They dated for awhile and remained friends. I have seen a photo of Ty and Loretta chatting together on the Universal lot. Tyrone was filming THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER and Loretta was starring in Because Of YOU with Jeff Chandler.

sapphiere, might this be the photo? Nice to see a couple of old friends still enjoying each other's company close to 20 years after first meeting.

tyrone-power-mississippi-gambler-visits-

I've read that Loretta attended Ty's funeral, in an Oriental costume, fresh from the set of filming her television series that day.

Here are a few candid shots that I came across of Tyrone Power that you may find interesting:

biography_father5.jpg

With his father (I suspect this shot was taken 1931, the year of his Dad's death)

Tyrone-Power-Edmund-Goulding-Gene-Tierney-Razor-Edge.jpg

Edmund Goulding directing Ty and Gene Tierney in The Razor's Edge

hqdefault.jpg

With Lana Turner in the night club scene

990b3b5eb869dafbe94a4c747e271f8d.jpg

With Patrick Wayne on the set of The Long Gray Line (that's Patrick Wayne's father visiting)

$(KGrHqZ,!p4FDcpCNnfdBQ3QYtY(lw~~60_57.JPG

The caption I found with this photo reads as follows:

IF ACTOR TYRONE POWER CONTRACTS A COLD IT WON'T BE HIS FAULT. HE'S SHOWN ALL DONE, UP IN WOLF FUR AS HE AND PRETTY SWEDISH ACTRESS MAI ZETTERLING, ALSO GARBED FOR THE FATHER, ENJOY A SLEIGH RIDE. POWER AND MISS ZETTERLING WERE SPENDING A FEW DAYS AT DALARNA, POPULAR TOURIST MECCA.

Tom you posted the right photo. Dummy me doesn`t know how to post a pic. I am grateful to everyone who has posted a photo of Tyrone on this thread. My photo was included in my book The Films Of Tyrone Power. I am pleased with the book, but the endings for JOHNNY APOLLO and RAWHIDE are incorrect.

Tom, THE RAZOR`s EDGE and THE LONG GRAY LINE photos are new to me. I guess John Ford allowed Tyrone to talk to the Duke.Ty and Mai costarred in ABANDON SHIP. They had a fling for almost a year. Mai visited Ty on the set of THE SUN ALSO RISES.

Contestant Avery Zuber has chosen WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION for her pick in the TCM Ultimate Film Fan Contest. Good choice,good job, and good luck!

>Tyrone made a wonderful comedic team with Loretta. How nice it would have been to see them together in the holiday favorite THE BISHOP`S WIFE.Ty did not ice skate in the two movies that he made with Sonja Henie. David Niven wanted the part of Dudley the angel, but he was given the bishop role instead.

a6223c25a2892e09c4179be260f99b15_zps2dfb

If Power and Young made such a wonderful comic team, why don't I (I don't claim to have the expertise of some others around here) know a single film they appeared in together?

Tyrone and Loretta made five films together four comedies and one drama. The drama was SUEZ. LADIES IN LOVE, LOVE IS NEWS, CAFE METROPOLE, and SECOND HONEYMOON are the comedies.I haven`t seen SUEZ or LADIES IN LOVE.

Max, the gorgeous photo you posted was by George Hurrell. The photo is on the cover Jeanine Basinger`s book "The Star Machine". The book contains chapters on Tyrone and Loretta. Loretta was also sensitive of her long neck. She usually tried to hide it with clothing in her films. Her daughter Judy Lewis thought the photo was very flattering.

>If Power and Young made such a wonderful comic team, why don't I (I don't claim to have the expertise of some others around here) know a single film they appeared in together?

Possibly because they were 20th Century Fox productions, finance. And as you probably know, the Fox library has been particularly hard for TCM to acquire the rights to broadcast for some time now.

Btw Tom, once again I must say I find your write-ups around here are absolutely first-rate.

I sure hope you've entered this "Guest Programmer" thing around here. You'd be a natural for it!

Thank You Tom for posting those photos.Loved them. I've seen 29 of the films out of the 39 you've posted. Now I'll be watching out for those 10 films. Thanks again ;)

I suggested that to Tom months ago, before they announced the contest. Tom would be a PERFECT Guest Programmer. Please consider it the next time around Tom :)

Tom, thank you for the marvelous job you did posting the photos. Words cannot express my appreciation. I am tied with lavenderblue in seeing 29 of the 39 films. Now I have twelve more to see. I know someone who requested SUEZ in the TCM programming contest. You have my recommendation if you ever want to enter.

sapphiere, lavenderblue and Dargo, thank you all so much for your comments on my Ty Power film career posting. I'm very pleased that you all liked it so much.

I just realized that I left out one Power film from the '50s on the list so I'm about to sneak it in now.

Tyrone made a wonderful comedic team with Loretta. How nice it would have been to see them together in the holiday favorite THE BISHOP`S WIFE.

That WOULD have been nice! Dang. Now I'm wishing it had turned out that way. Not that I don't like Cary Grant in the role, but it would have given Power an opportunity to really unleash his natural warmth and charm, which was Dudley's hallmark.

I have a copy of that Hurrell photo on my bedroom wall. It's stunning.

Tyrone showed his warmth and charm in LUCK OF THE IRISH 1948.I watch this film frequently. My book with the Hurrell front cover is on my nightstand. We can both go sleep with sweet dreams. LOL

Finance, if you have FMC, you'd be able to see CAFE METROPOLE in one of their frequent showings of it, or in descending order of frequent showings: LOVE IS NEWS, LADIES IN LOVE, ...Not shown in awhile have been SUEZ or SECOND HONEYMOON.