Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

Well, had Tyrone Power been cast instead of Cart Grant, he would most likely have played the Bishop. That is the role that Grant had been signed to play. Afterward, he decided.he preferred the role of Dudley.

Sapphiere:

Besides the five films, there had been other opportunities that Ty and Loretta might've costarred. LLOYDS OF LONDON had originally been cast with Loretta. But she resented that a virtual newcomer was signed, and then her part cut down as his was made more prominent. So she refused to do it, and Madeleine Carroll was borrowed for it. Later, she refused to do DAYTIME WIFE, as she was tired of being given romantic comedies, and was ready to walk away and not extend her contract with Fox. So newcomer Linda Darnell was assigned instead.

PS.....the Hurrell photo of Power and Young was from a photo shoot to publicize SECOND HONEYMOON.

>Besides the five films, there had been other opportunities that Ty and Loretta might've costarred. LLOYDS OF LONDON had originally been cast with Loretta. But she resented that a virtual newcomer was signed, and then her part cut down as his was made more prominent. So she refused to do it, and Madeleine Carroll was borrowed for it.

When you consider the fact that Lloyds of London is set in England, the casting of Madeliene Carroll is quite appropriate.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbNAoRsAG8Hfgrd5CIkSJ

The only problem is the age disparity between her and Power. She was eight years older than Tyrone and, beautiful as she was in this film (really in the very prime of her life), he looks like a kid in comparison.

Power and Loretta Young were essentially the same age, and that helps to make them a more comfortable fit.

I've always felt that Ty's performance in Lloyds is rather stiff at times. I'm not certain if it's because of script limitations or he was perhaps a bit nervous about this big film opportunity. (And let's be fair: memory tells me that sometimes Ty had some pretty lofty dialogue in that film, which couldn't have helped). In contrast to this, take a look at his performance in his next film, a modern comedy, Love Is News, in which he is really loosened up and looks far more comfortable.

A further comment about Love Is News: I think Don Ameche is in really good form as Power's conniving newspaper boss. Just two years later, of course, best pal Ameche would be best man when Ty married Annabella.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFkt2K5r4-Euj3EvuMygi

Loretta became increasingly unhappy at Fox. She could not get along with Zanuck.During the making of SUEZ, she demanded larger hoop skirts holding up production. Loretta could see that Zanuck was grooming younger actress`s to take her place even though she was only twenty five. She took a chance, but decided to freelance in 1939. Loretta went on to have a successful career in films until 1953.P.S. thanks for the imfo on the Hurrell photo. I did not know that the photo was for SECOND HONEYMOON..

Though I haven`t seen LLOYD`s OF LONDON, in the photos I have seen Tyrone doesn`t look like himself. The makeup must have a lot to do with it. He looks like Ty in LADIES IN LOVE released before LOL.The only movie that I have seen Madeline Carroll in was Alfred Hitchcock`s THE THIRTY NINE STEPS with Robert Donat.

Ty made a fine host introducing the 3 stories in "The Rising of the Moon". He had a great voice. Looked handsome and fit. Hard to believe a few months later he would be gone from the screen scene.

Unfortunately I missed the showing of THE RISING OF THE MOON.I am glad that you enjoyed his hosting duties. The next presentation of a Tyrone film will be THE BLACK SWAN on DECEMBER 28th.

Two fans of the TCM movie contest have chosen THE RAZOR`s EDGE as their pick. It now makes a total of three with this film, SUEZ, and WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. We will find out on December 1.

As you can see below, since Fox holds the rights to 39 of Power's 47 credited existing films, Power as SOTM is entirely feasible. TCM already has a good relationship with Sony, so his Columbia films may already be under contract for showing by TCM. Same with United Artists. One film - "Marie Antoinette" - is outright owned by TCM's parent company. Another film - Rising of the Moon - was made independently but is currently also owned by TCM's parent company. This really leaves only the two films by Universal up in the air.

Since Fox Movie Channel has pretty much abandoned the 12 hour block it dedicates to classic film - see repeated viewings of "Bartok the Magnificent" in that timeslot as an example - I can't see what their objection would be.

Credited appearances of known existing films:

FOX - 39

COLUMBIA - 3

UNIVERSAL - 2

UNITED ARTISTS - 1

MGM - 1

WARNER BROS. - 1

1959 Solomon and Sheba Solomon (visible in long shots) (uncredited- Died while filming) United Artists

1957 Witness for the Prosecution UNITED ARTISTS

1957 Rising of the Moon WARNER

1957 The Sun Also Rises FOX

1957 Abandon Ship COLUMBIA

1956 The Eddy Duchin Story COLUMBIA

1955 Untamed FOX

1955 The Long Gray Line COLUMBIA

1953 King of the Khyber Rifles FOX

1953 The Mississippi Gambler UNIVERSAL

1952 Pony Soldier FOX

1952 Diplomatic Courier FOX

1951 I'll Never Forget You FOX

1951 Rawhide FOX

1950 American Guerrilla in the Philippines FOX

1950 The Black Rose FOX

1949 Prince of Foxes FOX

1948 That Wonderful Urge FOX

1948 The Luck of the Irish FOX

1947 Captain from Castile FOX

1947 Nightmare Alley FOX

1946 The Razor's Edge FOX

1943 Crash Dive FOX

1942 The Black Swan FOX

1942 This Above All FOX

1942 Son of Fury: The Story of Benjamin Blake FOX

1941 A Yank in the R.A.F. FOX

1941 Blood and Sand FOX

1940 The Mark of Zorro FOX

1940 Brigham Young FOX

1940 Johnny Apollo FOX

1939 Day-Time Wife FOX

1939 The Rains Came FOX

1939 Second Fiddle FOX

1939 Rose of Washington Square FOX

1939 Jesse James FOX

1938 Suez FOX

1938 Marie Antoinette MGM

1938 Alexander's Ragtime Band FOX

1937 In Old Chicago FOX

1937 Second Honeymoon FOX

1937 Ali Baba Goes to Town (uncredited) FOX

1937 Thin Ice FOX

1937 Caf? Metropole FOX

1937 Love Is News FOX

1936 Lloyd's of London FOX

1936 Ladies in Love FOX

1936 Girls' Dormitory FOX

1935 Northern Frontier (uncredited) CONN PICTURES

1934 Flirtation Walk (uncredited) FIRST NATIONAL

1932 Tom Brown of Culver UNIVERSAL

1925 School for Wives Victor Halperin Productions EXISTS????

Edited by: calvinnme on Nov 24, 2013 11:56 AM

You left out THE RISING OF THE MOON, which I believe is a Columbia Pictures release.

How many of his films never aired on TCM? I think they all have been shown, haven't they? Maybe THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER hasn't...?

In fact, I think THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER is an essential Tyrone Power film. He had much more say in the creative decisions, and it was such a huge hit with audiences. It holds up very well.

Corrected my list for "Rising of the Moon". imdb has it listed as "SELF" not in the regular filmography. Sorry about that.

As for "Mississippi Gambler" - I've never seen it. Has it ever been on TCM? Since it's a Universal release I figured it might have been on AMC years ago. No telling what shape it's in. Its only home video release is by R&B Video in 2005 on both DVD and VHS, which leads me to believe it MIGHT be in the public domain.

Honestly, though, does Universal even know what it owns? They have the worst track record of all of the studios of preserving and releasing their older films.

"Finance, if you have FMC, you'd be able to see CAFE METROPOLE in one of their frequent showings of it, or in descending order of frequent showings: LOVE IS NEWS, LADIES IN LOVE, ...Not shown in awhile have been SUEZ or SECOND HONEYMOON."

Alas, I can't remember the last time I saw "Ladies in Love" on FMC, and I've been looking for it to re-air for years. They have basically stopped showing much of anything made before 1960, even in the 12 hour block that is still allegedly dedicated to classic film. If you can drop FMC from your cable/satellite lineup and end up paying less I suggest you do so. It has become a total waste of space.

I have a copy of MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER that someone gave me. It is in very good shape, and it has the AMC logo on it. It looks like it was transferred from on old VHS recording.

As the author of this thread stated, the film is also available at Youtube.

Normally, I don't advertise for youtube and I am not in favor of piracy-- so let's hope that Universal releases it and that TCM airs it.

finance said:"It looks as if my loss of FMC has consigned me to be an ignoramus about Fox stars and films."

Finance, what I was saying in my last post is that, in its current state, having FMC cannot add to your knowledge of Fox stars and films unless you believe that endless repeats of Ferngully and Bartok the Magnificent are beneficial. IMHO, they are not.

Notes on "Mississippi Gambler"...This was Ty's first free lance film since leaving Fox. He had worked at no other studio since the disastrous "Marie Antoinette" at MGM in 1938.He knew no one at Universal and was indeed a stranger there even though he made his film debut at the old Universal studio in 1932's "Tom Brown of Culver" uttering one line For "Mississippi Gambler".Ty had a plush 5 room dressing room near the same spot he entered films!!The film was a huge success. Variety reported it made3 million dollars at the end of 1953. A nice sum in those years.For lovely Piper Laurie the thrill of playing opposite her long-time idol was a dream come true. Only three years earlier she belonged to his fan club.. "Mississippi Gambler" played often on AMC in the late 1990's when that channel aired old movies. 1953 ads in the magazines for "Mississippi Gambler" read ...MEET THE FABULOUS MARK FALLON! ....the lusty...loving gambling man! Tempting lips whisper his name from St Louis to New Orleans...as he rides his luck down the wide rolling river...to win the silk laced vixen who forever lures him on! I can't imagine advertising a movie like that today!

Edited by: twtpark on Nov 24, 2013 3:45 PM

Nope, and primarily because purple prose such as that is now pretty much a "lost art".

(...for better or worse)

I saw The Mississippi Gambler a few months ago, my first viewing of the film in years since it has become a rather difficult Power film to find.

My enjoyment of the film was compromised to a degree by the quality of the image, unfortunately, looking very much like a soft focus VHS tape.

It struck me as a mildly diverting piece of escapism, not the kind of film in which you are expecting great originality from either story line or character development. Power is appropriately cast as a gentleman gambler. I think fans of Ty will generally enjoy seeing him in this one even though, again, the film offers no real surprises. A better film, I thought, than some of Power's other films around that same early '50s period in his career (ie. Black Rose, I'll Never Forget You, King of the Khyber Rifles).

I did take note of Piper Laurie's performance as a head strong, proud southern belle who is initially hostile towards Power's character. Even though Ty has Julie Adams hanging around him (Julie Adams!) he pretty well acts like a protective big brother towards her (no one ever claimed this film was supposed to represent reality), having eyes only for the southern belle who resists him (shades of Scarlett O'Hara).

In any event, I thought that Laurie was quite good in her stereotypical part, bringing more conviction to the role than perhaps the writing deserved.

I'm hoping to one day see a better looking image of The Mississippi Gambler. When a film's not quite so much a struggle for the eyes, it makes it easier to appreciate a production's virtues.

mississippigambler53-228x228.jpg

Obviously a publicity pose for Mississippi Gambler. Believe me, Laurie's character spends a lot of time in the film trying to avoid getting this close to Tyrone.

Calvin, thank you for the studio breakdown of Tyrone`s films. It must have taken awhile to put the list together. I was feeling depressed after coming back from my trip to my former home in NY. On October 16, I watched four of the five Tyrone Power films that were shown. I have always liked him, but watching him that night started to make me feel better. As I previously said, I wished that I had started this thread the middle of October. Now I am trying to make up for lost time.

I do not subscribe to the FMC either. They became ridiculous with their repeats. Also I do not waste my time with AMC. The commercials are time consuming. My DIRECTV has the Choice Ultimate Package. I like baseball, and MLB network comes with my package.

MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER is available from loving the classics.com, and the dvd is now on sale. I have checked everywhere, and nobody else carries this film.

Tyrone`s wife Linda Christain tested for the part that Piper Laurie played. She was upset with Ty for not going to bat for her. He felt that Linda needed to take more acting lessons, and he wouldn`t go to bat for her. He did not believe in nepotism.

>MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER is available from loving the classics.com

They are selling a pirated copy of it. The film is not in the public domain, and Universal has not officially released it yet on home video.