Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

Tyrone Power for SOTM May 2014

TB, thank you for the imformation. I should not be so na?ve. Until Universal decides to release this movie,I will watch it on you tube.

An interesting site to visit is Tyrone Power.com. It will bring you to Tyrone Power King of 20 the Century Fox. The site includes articles from the 30`s, 40`s, and 50`s, biographies of TY and his family, career, news, photos, resources, and this and that. I excluded a few headings that were outdated.

Is there anyone who doesn't love this film?

Tyrone-Power-Noel-Coward-Marlene-Dietrich-Charles-Laughton-Witness-Prosecution.jpg

Behind the scenes of Witness for the Prosecution

That's an amused Noel Coward visiting the set

tumblr_llv0mctYwG1qi97xgo1_500.jpg

solomon_0002.jpg

Ty on the set of the ill fated Solomon and Sheba.

*Loretta became increasingly unhappy at Fox. She could not get along with Zanuck.During the making of SUEZ, she demanded larger hoop skirts holding up production. Loretta could see that Zanuck was grooming younger actress`s to take her place even though she was only twenty five. She took a chance, but decided to freelance in 1939.*

Loretta Young was most upset because when Zanuck first took her with him from Warner Brothers in 1933, first to 20th Century Pictures, then its successor, he had promised her starring roles in the studio's most important pictures. But she realized that Zanuck was using her box office potency in building its promising male contractees, such as Don Ameche, Ty Power and Richard Greene. She felt that he only considered her for the decorative enhancement she could bring a film, not for her acting ability. She felt he didn't understand women (and never even sent her flowers). As it was, the mogul had little tolerance for stories about women's issues. She smarted when cast with Power in LLOYDS OF LONDON and SUEZ, Ameche in THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, and Greene in FOUR MEN AND A PRAYER and KENTUCKY. In each of these, she saw herself as only the pretty adjunt to the male hero, and chafed at these roles more and more. She wreaked costly overruns in both SUEZ and GRAHAM BELL; although she later admitted she was wrong. Ironically, roles that might have suited her, and were centered around the woman, were often assigned to actresses borrowed by Fox for these parts. To name a few: TO MARY WITH LOVE (Myrna Loy); ALWAYS GOODBYE (Barbara Stanwyck); THE RAINS CAME (Loy); DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (Claudette Colbert).

She also didn't want to do more frothy comedies, and turned down DAYTIME WIFE, among others. So ironically, her first film after she left was just such a comedy (ETERNALLY YOURS), and after Columbia hired her at a cut in pay a year or so later (and broke an industry embargo instigated by Zanuck), she did similar comedies, at least initially. But yes, her career survived in the end.

As I said in an earlier post, this film was chosen by a contestant in the TCM fan contest. I do not recall when WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION was last shown on TCM.

Loretta finally found a good comedy in BEDTIME STORY. Playwright husband Fredric March wants Loretta to star in his next play. Loretta his wife has other ideas. She is tired of the grind and wants to retire.

Actually, besides BEDTIME STORY, I really enjoy the first two comedies she did at Columbia: THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE and HE STAYED FOR BREAKFAST. In all three, I can imagine Cary Grant as her costar, although Fredric March, Ray Milland, and Melvyn Douglas, repectively did just fine.

Auturo, you were correct. Today I watched the spy melodrama DIPLOMATIC COURIER and enjoyed this fast paced espionage thriller. Tyrone finally had a decent part to play in the early 1950`s. The costars were fine especially Patricia Neal,Karl Malden, and Hildegarde Neff. Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, and Michael Ansara were in unbilled bit parts.

For all of my grumbling, I signed up today for the FMC. I could not pass up SHOCK, BELOVED INFIDEL, and WILD RIVER. The price was $6 per month, and they threw in the movie pack for three months. UNTAMED with Tyrone and Susan Hayward will be shown on FMC December 4.

For whoever posted an interest in the two movies Power did with Sonja Henie, THIN ICE (1937) and SECOND FIDDLE (1939), well the former is one of the upcoming FOX MOD releases for December. Check out the Upcoming DVD Releases forum, when Edgecliff just posted the schedule. Good looking out, EC.

Thank you Arturo and EC for news of the dvd release of THIN ICE and SECOND FIDDLE. Previously they were only available on vhs thru Amazon. The Films Of Tyrone Power gives these two movies a good review.

Yul Brynner, finance.

Btw, and speaking of Tyrone here...

I've recently started working a little part-time gig driving a shuttle between Sedona and the PHX airport.

Yesterday my only passenger down to Phoenix was a very sweet little old lady of 83 y/o, and who I had a great time listening to her stories of her life as a young woman. When the conversation turned to classic movies, she said there was a "dark-haired and dark-eyed Irish actor" that she has the biggest crush on as a teenager, but she couldn't remember his name.

It took me about 10 seconds of thought before I suggested to her that it was possibly Tyrone Power, and her reaction was SO cute. She replied, "YES, Tyrone Power, THAT'S him!", and let out the biggest sigh as if she was a 16 year old bobbysoxer all over again.

Nice story Dargo. I am glad to hear that Tyrone has fans of all ages. Your job sounds very interesting. Hope that it is warmer in AZ. than here in MS.

Thanks, sapphiere!

Yep, it's been beautiful here that last few days and after the same low-pressure system which is presently hitting the East Coast pretty hard passed through here a few days ago.

Amazon listed THIN ICE for sale today on dvd. I want to wait until cyber Monday to see if the price goes lower. MY new vhs tape of PONY SOLDIER arrived today.

Arturo, I did some research, and James Gianopulos is the chairman of Fox Filmed Entertainment. He is 61, and Tom Rothman was 58 when he resigned effective January 1, 2013.With the release of THIN ICE on dvd I hope this means that more classic movies will be released on this format. I enjoyed my viewing of PONY SOLDIER. PS was one of the last films made for the small scree before 20th Century Fox switched to CinemaScope.

>Yep, it's been beautiful here that last few days and after the same low-pressure system which is presently hitting the East Coast pretty hard passed through here a few days ago.

Methinks you may have a second profession in meteorology.

The temp is 46 now in MS. and next week it will go up to the mid 60`s. I do not miss the ice scrapping, and the snow which came with NY.My home is the birthplace of Tenessee Williams..