Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MOVIES! is picking up TCM's slack

FlyBackTransformer

What is Persuasion a 1995 movie doing on today's schedule? That's classic? Well maybe by the definition of turn of the last century french silents-favoring programmers it now is. Cute. :) Today at three thirty--five MOVIES! is showing *The President's Lady* with Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson and the always classy Susan Hayward as his wife with great intro music by Alfred Newman. TCM is slipping and do they even know it? I think they do not. :)

I don't know if it's my TV or what, but MOVIES, like COZI, presents a picture that's compressed. They just don't seem to look right on my set.

But you're right about it's content. There sometimes DO seem to be more "classic" type movies being shown on it than TCM has been offering lately. Now, if only they get rid of the COMMERCIALS, the competition will be clear!

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Nov 10, 2013 12:06 PM

> I don't know if it's my TV or what, but MOVIES, like COZI, presents a picture that's compressed. They just don't seem to look right on my set.But you're right about it's content. There sometimes DO seem to be more "classic" type movies being shown on it than TCM has been offering lately. Now, if only they get rid of the COMMERCIALS, the competition will be clear!

> Sepiatone

Yeah, I always have to change my picture setting whenever I watch cozi or movies! Apart from that movies! picture quality looks better than TCM's.

Any movie channel that interrupts a film for even *one* commercial is a complete non-starter in my book. TCM is the only non-premium cable movie channel that remains 100% commercial-free. I can live with commercials, but only after the movie has run uninterrupted.

> Any movie channel that interrupts a film for even one commercial is a complete non-starter in my book. TCM is the only non-premium cable movie channel that remains 100% commercial-free. I can live with commercials, but only after the movie has run uninterrupted.

Maybe so...but how many years has it been since TCM has shown *The President's Lady* with Heston and Hayward? Quite a number I would say. So I will endure the commercials on MOVIES! until TCM programmers get their heads screwed back on right. :)

The commericals are an issue, but at least MOVIES runs them fairly 'well' (i.e. not as often as say AMC, but longer when they do run). Also MOVIES doesn't edit movies to fit a time slot.

I have found myself watching MOVIES almost as much as TCM because they show studio era movies I have never seen or movies I haven't seen in a long time. They have the Fox 20th Century films TCM doesn't have.

Watching MOVIES along with sports kind of works well since it is fairly easy to 'time' the breaks. NOW; Of course I would rather have only commericals before and after a movie is shown, but I saw Laura a few nights ago and if I have to time the breaks to see that film, well that is what I'm willing to do.

AND: MOVIES shows way more repeats than TCM. So once I have got my fix on those Fox films, I'm sure I turn to them less and less.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Nov 10, 2013 12:56 PM

> ny movie channel that interrupts a film for even one commercial is a complete non-starter in my book. TCM is the only non-premium cable movie channel that remains 100% commercial-free. I can live with commercials, but only after the movie has run uninterrupted.

> Maybe so...but how many years has it been since TCM has shown The President's Lady with Heston and Hayward? Quite a number I would say. So I will endure the commercials on MOVIES! until TCM programmers get their heads screwed back on right.

In between movies TCM does advertise DVD box sets like for say John Wayne and Paul Newman so is that really commercial-free?

> In between movies TCM does advertise DVD box sets like for say John Wayne and Paul Newman so is that really commercial-free?

> As they're NOT ads for "Posti-Vac" or "Ageless Male", I would say YES!

> Sepiatone

Well, you got me there. I'd love to see *The President's Lady* shown on TCM...but they won't do it!...and MOVIES! will. End of story. :)

I have found myself watching MOVIES almost as much as TCM because they show studio era movies I have never seen or movies I haven't seen in a long time. They have the Fox 20th Century films TCM doesn't have.

AND: MOVIES shows way more repeats than TCM. So once I have got my fix on those Fox films, I'm sure I turn to them less and less.

The Fox Movie Channel still shows commercially uninterrupted classic Fox films between 3:00 am and 3:00 pm. I've managed to see and capture close to 100 gems by keeping on top of their schedule over the past four years, even if that schedule is nearly all repeats.

-------------------------------------------

*In between movies TCM does advertise DVD box sets like for say John Wayne and Paul Newman so is that really commercial-free?*

Of course it is. What matters is that TCM doesn't advertise those box sets in the middle of the movie. PBS does the same thing with its corporate sponsors' announcements before and after the show begins.

-------------------------------------------

Occasionally, PBS will air uninterrupted classic films. Some channels do this once a week - depends on your locale.

True, but I don't think PBS has ever shown a single classic movie that I haven't seen dozens of times on TCM. Their selection is strictly AFI Top 100, and usually more like Top 50. It's got about as much surprise and variety as the old Top 40 AM radio, even less than the TCM "Essentials".

Well I assume that TCM could gain access to the same movies MOVIES is showing but that the price is just too high. If that is the case than it is because TCM doesn't want to gain access to those movies.

Of course maybe Fox has exclusive deals with stations like MOVIES and that prevents Fox from leasing their films to TCM or other stations.

>And if I ever wanna watch something like persuasion I would just assume switch to BBC America which my cable system does carry.

I think the main channel in the US that shows them is PBS. They are usually pretty good, although sometimes they are a little slow and tend to have the same plot about some girl trying to decide which young man she will marry.

It seems MOVIES! also censors their movies and that's a turn off to me. But, apparently its available over the air here in Los Angeles. You just have to buy an antenna. I guess the new version of rabbit ears lol

Nothing like competition to make someone shape up their stuff !

Where I live now, in a remote middle of no-place, I receive 8 over the air HD signals. They are sent out from some big city by means of local "repeater" transmitters. Two are in Spanish.

My outdoor antenna cable is plugged into the back of my Directv box, and when I want to watch the broadcast channels, I turn off the Directv receiver and change channels on my TV.

Sometimes we get a big lightening storm, and everything goes out. All the repeaters go out. My TV goes out. My lights go out. My computer goes out. And I'm sitting here alone in black darkness, trying to find my flashlight and a candle, and my small portable radio. :)

Yes, MOVIES does censor but since I watch MOVIES for those studio era classics that doesn't have any impact.

But I did see Unmarried Women on MOVIES and they did censor that. But at least they censored it in the best possible way; e.g. they 'black out' the nudity or bleep the cuss words instead of cutting out parts of or the entire scene.

Like I said I would rather see a movie on TCM then any other station but MOVIES is showing films that TCM just doesn't show; e.g. Laura.

But I do watch MOVIES with the remote in my hand and with TCM that isn't necessary.

I just received my antenna and it gets most of the local channels since I am in the city. And MOVIES! is a free channel :-) They are playing Black Sunday right now. This is Los Angeles btw on ch. 13.3

>My outdoor antenna cable is plugged into the back of my Directv box, and when I want to watch the broadcast channels, I turn off the Directv receiver and change channels on my TV.

So I can actually keep the over the air antenna hooked while watching satellite ? Do I have to scan the channels each time ?

>So I can actually keep the over the air antenna hooked while watching satellite ? Do I have to scan the channels each time ?

My Directv tuner has an "Antenna In" plug on the back of it. I plug my outdoor antenna in that. Then the signal goes into the Directv tuner.

I set my TV for Channel 3, to get an RF signal from the Directv box, and to get the antenna to work, I turn OFF the Directv box and I do a Channel Search on my TV, which finds all the local channels.

When I turn my Directv tuner off, I guess that switches over to the antenna input and runs it through the tuner and out to my TV.

I think I had to set the Channel 3 manually on my TV, so I could run the Directv cable into my TV's RF input. I think my Channel 3 is analog, so I think I turned everything on and did an analog channel search, and it locked in on my Channel 3, since my Directv tuner has an analog cable output. My TV has a separate HD Channel search, which I used to get all my local channels.

So, you can keep them both plugged in at the same time, but your antenna cable goes to your Directv tuner box, instead of directly to your TV.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings