Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
drinkanddestroy

Can I view TCM on Demand on my TV, or only on my computer?

Hi Everyone,

I am a great fan of TCM and watch classic movies all the time, but this is my first post on these boards...

Anyway, I have a question about the TCM on Demand: I was excited to see that TCM movies are available on demand on tcm.com. And my cable provider is Optimum, so I am able to access the Movies on Demand on tcm.com.

However, I prefer watching movies on my TV screen than on my computer screen (cuz it's more than double the size). Therefore, I was wondering if there is any way to watch the TCM on Demand movies through my tv? I am not terribly technologically proficient so I'd appreciate if someone can advise me on this.

What I'm wondering is: my blu-ray player is connected to the Internet, and I am therefore able to watch, on my tv, certain pre-set options the blu-ray player has, like Netflix streaming, Youtube, Cinema Now, and Vudu..... Is there any way my Internet-conected blu-ray player can pick up TCM on Demand movies?

I'd really love it if I were able to watch TCM on Demand through my tv rather than my computer.

Thanks!

Apple TV is a device which will allow you to connect a MAC or PC

to your tv - and it's wireless.

For PCs -

I believe using a laptop for this is easier than a desktop. My last HP laptop required only 1 (expensive) HDMI cable and some internal software configuration. Basically, it's just using the TV as your monitor but they make it more complicated than just plugging it in, you have to tell your computer the tv is there and what to do with the signal(s). I don't know if any computers will sense the device as it would a flashdrive or printer.

If you're using a PC laptop this may help

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/dave-taylor-hdmi-article.html

For a MAC

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/qt/hdtvconnection.htm

----------------------------------------------

Also.. scroll down to last post here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=200559

It reads :

If you want to stream directly from your PC to TV without downloading you can do it by following the steps below.

Turn off the HDTV and shut down the computer. Connect the PC to the HDTV using the HDMI cable or the VGA and speaker cable. If you are using the HDMI cable, plug one end into the HDMI output on the computer and the other end into an open HDMI input on the rear of the HDTV. If using a VGA source, connect the VGA cable to the VGA output on the rear of the computer and connect the other end of the VGA cable to the VGA input on the rear of the HDTV. Plug the speaker cable into the headphone output on the computer. Plug the other end of the speaker cable into the audio input jack located beside the VGA input on the HDTV.

Turn on the computer and the HDTV. Choose the proper input source on the HDTV by pressing the "Input" or "Source" button on the remote or on the TV.

Open the Start Menu and double-click "Control Panel." Double-click "Appearance and Personalization." Click "Personalization" followed by "Display Settings" in Windows Vista or click "Adjust Screen Resolution" if using Windows 7.

Choose the option to "Extend Desktop Display" and click "OK" to save your settings and close the window. The desktop will now be extended onto the TV.

Open the website or program containing the video that you would like to stream. Click and hold on the bar at the top of the program window and drag it to the second display.

In the video player, click the "Full Screen" button to bring the video to full screen. Click "Play" to start streaming the video.

You can use these steps to watch downloaded videos on your pc too.

Disclaimer: I am not Bill Gates - I just play one on TCM's Message Boards :P

Thanks for the info, Kid_Dabb.

seems like a little much for a non-techie like me; I guess I'll just watch tcm.com on my laptop when I am traveling and have an Internet connection.

I do appreciate the extensive reply :-)

Be sure to check out WatchTCM to see if your service provider is one of the many who allow you to access many of the films broadcast on TCM via your computer, phone or tablet:

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/

*My problem is not connecting the PC to the TV but the constant need for buffering and the quality of the image. I can receive HBO and Netfilx and Amazon with no problems but TCM on demand isn't viewable because of the constant buffering.*

I have been experimenting with different on demand movies and times of day. I now believe the buffering problem seems to be time related. I have had very good quality streaming from several movies since the original problems.

If this quality keeps up on demand ha become a great addition to the tcm experience.

I use an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV...works great and it helps if you have a higher speed connection

Newbie here.

Just discovered this site. We have two Comcast accounts. One does not give us TCM - so thought I'd try this site when I heard about it.

We have very fast internet from Comcast. Can stream HBOgo, and Netflix in excellent HD like quality. However, there seems to be a problem with "WatchTCM". Lots of buffering interruptions. Am using it from a laptop as we can't "cast" it to our big panel via Chromecast if we use our phone or tablet like we can w. Netflix or HBOgo or Xfinity2go.

Haven't checked yet to see if there are buffering problems if we choose to watch on our ipad or Samsung Tablet. Put Android TCM app on Tablet and will try that - but would prefer to watch on big screen.

Question - the app on the tablet seems to use the Opera browser - not the Chrome browser. There are 4 browsers on the tablet. Is there a way to force it to use the chrome browser? Maybe we could then cast it to the big screen via Chromecast.

Newbie here.

... Question - the app on the tablet seems to use the Opera browser - not the Chrome browser. There are 4 browsers on the tablet. Is there a way to force it to use the chrome browser? Maybe we could then cast it to the big screen via Chromecast.

For several years, I believe, you had to have Android 4.0 or higher to run Chrome. I'm not sure if this is the case today, but check that out first. You may only require an upgrade if you are not running this now.