Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anne Bancroft dies

It was just reported Anne Bancroft died. She married Mel Brooks in 1956. She could play drama and comedy and in my opinion she should have won the Oscar for "The Graduate." She won for "The Miracle Worker" and was nominated 4 other times (including The Graduate) for Best Actress. She won the Cannes award for Actress, as well as 2 Tonys for her stage work.

Sadly, the news is true. Anne Bancroft died yesterday at age 73 of cancer. Her illness was most likely a close knit secret and comes as a shock to us all.

She will be remembered as an outstanding actress who gave pleasure to millions.

Although I have many Bancroft favorites, tonight I will watch "Garbo Talks" in which she was mesmerizing.

Rest in peace dear lady.

My condolences to her husband Mel Brooks, her son, family and friends.

Mongo

Hello All,

Well, this is very sad and shocking news. She was an actress who could do anything and did.

Her Oscar winning role was well deserved and I particularly loved her in "To Be or Not To Be" singing and dancing with Mel Brooks in Polish to the tune of 'Sweet Georgia Brown' -- it's delightful and hilarious!

R.I.P. Anne Bancroft......

Larry

I'm really shocked by this news. I had no idea she was even sick. Just last week I watched her in "Garbo Talks" on one of the cable stations, and she was touching as always. She was great - a true one of a kind. I also love the movie "Fatso" that she directed with Dom DeLuise, among all of her other classics, like "The Graduate," "The Turning Point," "The Miracle Worker," etc.

What a sad loss for the entertainment world.

May she rest in peace.

I, like everyone else was shocked hearing the news of Bancroft's death. Starting with her film debut in DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK in 1952 she was extremely inmpressive, holding her own opposite stars Marilyn Monroe and Richard Widmark. A friend remarked how beautiful she was in that film. Some of of my favorite films Bancroft starred in are 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD and THE PUMPKIN EATER. She will be missed.

I enjoyed her movies and my personal film tribute this week will consist of The Graduate, Agnes of God, To Be Or Not To Be and 'night Mother. I don't own The Slender Thread or The Pumpkin Eater, if I did, they'd also be viewed with the ones I do own. She was a class act.

Oh this was really sad and shocking news. I saw her perform in a one woman Broadway show just 2 or 3 years ago. And there are so many great film performances, like THE MIRACLE WORKER and THE TURNING POINT. And I am glad some of you mentioned her lesser known films, GARBO TALKS and 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD. I have not seen GARBO TALKS probably since it came out, but I still remember how brilliantly she performed her speech at the film's end. Well, I hope TCM does a tribute to her, I would like to see some of her early films, such as SEVEN WOMEN.

I'm absolutely heart-broken to learn that we've lost this very talented actor. Fortunately, she left behind many wonderful movie and Broadway performances that we can all remember her by, although she will be sorely missed by everyone. My sincere Condolences to her family and closest friends. ML

I too, am in agreement with all. I was very shocked and saddened when I heard this news last night. She was a beautiful and talented actress. She was an all around performer who gave us many, many memorable performances. She was a true treasure to the entertainment world. She, as all of the great performers who we have sadly lost, will be sorely missed.

heartily concur with you about the great performances by Anne Bancroft in "The Pumpkin Eater" and "84 Charing Cross Road".

Anne was magnificent in anything, but her work in those two films is outstanding! A good friend of mine from grade school was so moved by Anne's performance in the latter film, that when we went to London she was compelled to find 84 Charing Cross Road, just to feast her eyes on it, as she had so enjoyed the movie. "The Pumpkin Eater" was banned by the Catholic Legon of Decency when it came out for acceptance of divorce and other adult issues, but has stood the test of time and is now considered one of the more intelligent movies ever put on film, much of it due to Anne's fine and moving performance.

I remember seeing an interview with Anne, in which she said she started acting at four years of age. It seems funny now that when Anne played the "older" woman Mrs. Robinson, that she was really only about 36 years old it seems.

Other films of hers, besides all the obvious great ones, that I have enjoyed are "Nightfall" with Aldo Ray, her bit in "The Elephant Man" when she visits John Merrick in his room at the hospital as the famous actress, "Girl in Black Stockings" [which is very similar to the tv series "Twin Peaks"], and her performance as Mary Magdalene in the tv miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth".

I also admire Anne's taste in men....and she will be greatly missed!

My first thoughts when I heard this sad news were 'how could someone so young be gone?' and 'I hope that Mel Brooks and her family will be okay'.

Well, 73's not young, I guess, but gee, she's one of those actors who had such spark inside them, they seemed timeless. That, and the fact that she was one of the most elegant and funny ladies I've ever seen in film.

I loved her particularly in "Young Winston" as Jennie Jerome Churchill and in "84 Charing Cross Road"--though all her most acclaimed work, "The Miracle Worker", "The Pumpkin Eater", "The Graduate" or even "Gorilla at Large" was made worthwhile by her presence. Ms. Bancroft, BTW, claimed that she played the simian lead in that latter 3-D epic. Clearly, she was also a hoot, with a healthy perspective on her career and life in general.

One comment of hers that I came across in an obituary for Ms. Bancroft seems quite apt, and is particularly poignant today.

She said:

"Life is here only to be lived so that we can, through life, earn the right to death, which to me is paradise. Whatever it is that will bring me the reward of paradise, I'll do the best I can."

I think she probably earned that reward many times over and my heart goes out to her family.

"Life is here only to be lived so that we can, through life, earn the right to death, which to me is paradise. Whatever it is that will bring me the reward of paradise, I'll do the best I can."

This remark shows that we not only lost a great actress, but a very wise person and I must say that I completely agree with Ms. Bancroft in that account. I'm sure she is in Paradise.

My condolences to her family.

I just logged on and am shocked to find this thread about the death of the great actress Anne Bancroft. Moira, thanks for posting that beautiful quote.

I remember going to see TO BE OR NOT TO BE and 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD when they were both first released to theatres. I also admire her fantastic performance as Annie Sullivan in THE MIRACLE WORKER. What a beautiful and funny lady. My thoughts and prayers go out to her husband, Mel Brooks and her family and friends.

Sandy K

My eyes are weepy today losing Anne Bancroft she was a

marvel great person, wonderful actress, and a wonderful

helpmate to her husband Mel Brooks and a great mom to their son Max. My favorite movie is "The Seven Woman "

each time i watch this film i Gasped at Annie's performance the impact stays with me for days.Also the

Pumpkin eater, and as Annie Sullivan in the miracle worker. But i know she'll be forever known as "Mrs. Robinson. Condolescences to Mel, Max, family & friends.

Annie rest in peace Applause! Applause! standing ovation!

You are the best there is they don't come any better!!!!!

Really a shame, so young too (relatively). My condolences to her family, friends, and other loved ones. Like everyone else, I've enjoyed many of her films and am glad that they will live on for future generations. Some really outstanding performances!

I completely forgot about "84 Charing Cross Road," a movie I've seen many times since I was a kid. I love her down-to-earth performance in it. In it she's bookish, kind, funny, and besides that just a no-nonsense gal. She was great in it. I also enjoyed her in "The Prisoner of Second Avenue" with Jack Lemmon. The two of them made a good movie couple.

Just this morning the "Today" show had a segment about Anne, showing an interview that she and Mel Brooks did with Gene Shalit in 1983. In the interview they talk about their marriage, and basically their love for and devotion to each other. She said something that went along the lines of "I don't have a definition of love" and that it is really a passe' word and that her and Mel's love for each other went deeper than whatever the word "love" means. And she also said that she looked forward to when Mel would come home at night, and that it was like a party that was about to begin. And of course at this point in the interview the ever hysterical Mel then started his party routine, saying that he puts on his hat and they sing and dance all night. They were both cracking up. It was great. You can tell that they loved each other a lot, and I know he must feel empty now without her, and my sincere condolences go out to him and their family.

I hope that TCM schedules a tribute for this great actress and woman.

Having trouble posting--sorry for the silly Hey!!

Anyway, moviejoe what a nice thing about the interview of Anne and Mel. Sure I loved her movies but the thing I loved most about her was her marriage to Mel. Here's this stunning woman who could have probably dated a lot of hunks in her time but she chose to marry a short, not so handsome, Jewish comedian (I'm pretty sure she was probably Catholic being Italian and all.) Because he made her laugh. I think that's what all marriages need. What a great pair!!! They only were in a couple of movie together (Silent Movie, To Be or Not To Be and I think she had a bit part in Dracula, Dead & Loving It.) One of the greatest show business romances of all time. I hope that Mel and their Max will feel all of our prayers and condolences.

I just saw TCM's tribute to Anne Bancroft this morning. What a touching remembrance of such a talented woman!

I also read a 1995 interview with her today, where she said she had asked husband Mel Brooks to sing at her funeral. Wish I could be there it happens -- there probably won't be a dry eye in the house.

I heard about this on an oldie station and I was shocked. It seems impossible that a force like Bancroft could die. I think of Mel being so productive with his Producers stage show and he does that with talent for sure but also with the love of family and Anne also by his side. I just can't believe it. I will always remember my favorite The Miracle Worker. This is also the first play I read it was in our literature book when I was in the 9th grade. It has always stuck with me reading about the play in our literature book how the audience had to be prepared for food or utensils flying their way during the learning to eat with manners scene. I send my condolences to her family and friends and to us her fans who will truly miss her.

She was a wonderful actress, and TCM did a wonderful tribute. She will be remembered through her fans. I am growing sorry that more and more of my favorite classic stars are leaving us.....

God blees Ann bancroft and her legacy that she has left behind.