Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saturday Night at the Movies

ThomErnstTVO

Hello there, feature film freaks!

In the short time I've been spending time looking at the TCM Message Boards, I've noticed there seems to be a disproportionate number of Canadian posters. I'm just wondering if any of you fellow Canucks were brought up on classic movies by Elwy Yost on TVO's now-defunct movie series 'Saturday Night at the Movies'.

FYI, I had the opportunity to produce the show from 1998 to 2010, and I acted as the host of the show thereafter.

I heard of MR Yost's show but haven't seen it. I'm from the Detroit area and have been watching the CBC all my life, (CBET channel 9.)

but his show was never on that channel. I think I missed something,

(but we did have the Ghoul.)

Before we got cable in 1982 sometimes we could get channel 78 CBEFT. I'm not sure if his show was on that channel? I think his son is Graham Yost, who wrote the screenplay for Speed.

I think it would be great to have his son, producer/writer Graham Yost, be a guest programmer and talk with Robert O about his dad. Elwy Yost did a number of film/video interviews with the stars of the studio era (the Errol Flynn doc that TCM did a few years ago featured clips from Mr. Yost's collection) and it would be a great way to share some of that history with those of us south of the border, so to speak, that weren't able to get his broadcasts.

Hi Thom,

Welcome to the TCM Message Board and glad to see you here...

Also glad to see you're with CTV now.

And I'm very sorry about the demise of "SNAM."

As for the late Elwy, in the past I've posted a number of times on the message board about him and about "SNAM." For example, a post about "Panic in the Streets" and Elwy's interview with Richard Widmark:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8683528

I've even posted about you! TCM recently aired "The Swimmer" and "The Conversation" - both films chosen by guest programmer Gilbert Gottfried - and I referred to your list of the top 50 films ("The Conversation" at #25 and "The Swimmer" at #36) aired on "SNAM":

http://snam.tvo.org/blog/saturday-night-movies-blog/top-50-snam-films-past-15-years

(That's Mr. Ernst at the top next to the "Saturday Night at the Movies" title.)

Anyway, glad to see you here. The TCM Message Board is very fortunate to have you as a member...

I taped several hours of Elwy's interviews when they were run on PBS here in NY back in the 80's. THE MOVIEMAKERS. I first saw Elwy when I would visit my in-laws in Ottawa. Loved his show. Loved his unabashed enthusiasm. He wasn't an egghead or a cinemasnob, he was a professional FAN! He loved everything about movies and loved talking to the giants and less-than-giants whom he interviewed.

http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2011/02/return-of-elwy-yst.html

Thanks for the kind welcome. I am on CTV now, as well as CBC Radio One.

I appreciate your thoughts on the cancellation of SNAM. It was a very difficult decision for TVO to make, I know. They had grown up with Elwy Yost like I had and they had Elwy's love of movies. They just didn't have the money to keep the series going.

It's my understanding that the folks at TVO is thinking about bringing SNAM back to the airwaves in some form or another possibly next season. I may or may not be involved with that - too early to tell. The reason they cancelled the show at the end of the 39th season is because they didn't want to spend the money to celebrate what would have been our 40th anniversary.

• 2 months later...

TCM's own man about town, Scott McGee, sits down for a two part interview with Elwy Yost's son, producer Graham Yost, for this month's TCM podcast.

Graham Yost talks about his father and the influence the movies have had on him:

Here is part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-T_7Bx9Lio

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings