Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do YOU do this?

Sepiatone

Sometimes, I heckle the movie I'm watching. Not derisively mind you. But sometimes some scene will come up that makes me shout referrential jokes at the screen. One example:

While watching TORA, TORA, TORA! on AMC yesterday, we finally arrived at the attack scenes. In one, some guy was bellowing orders to an underling.

"Tell Major so-and-so to THIS, then go tell Col. Whozit THAT, and let Capt. Whatizname know..." at which point I yelled at the screen, "And have BURT LANCASTER tell the cook to make a BARREL of COFFEE!"

I couldn't resist. My wife looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe I am( maybe? ), but I don't think I'm the only one who does this. Have any of YOU done the same?

If so, list YOUR example.

Sepiatone

*** *SPOILER ALERT* ***

At the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, when the doctor and the government official *finally* believe Kevin McCarthy's story and send out the alert to warn the rest of the state/country, I always yell, "F*#$ you, aliens!" at the TV screen.

Yes, I do it often. I often yell out, "Hey! Watch out for that Dame!" or I yell instructions to the actors or director,

What is the absolute worst is when a network TV news program is showing scenes of an airplane crash landing, and they have the airplane way at the bottom of the screen, and it is completely covered up by text saying something stupid like "AIRPLANE CRASH LANDING". And all we can see is the text, which coverers up the picture, the airplane, and about 1/3 of the bottom of the screen, while I'm yelling "Turn off the headlines!!"

I only yell, scream, stomp around, leave the room, and curse the "boob tube" whenever I'm watching my hallowed Nebraska Cornhusker football team play. Other than that I'm Mr. Mild Mannered and Angelic when watching TCM or other "boob tube" dramas unless my dear dear incredibly dear wife is controlling the clicker and switches from my (to her "BORING") movies to watch her "beloved" sports. Then I'm known to mildly SCREECH and fight tooth and nail for the clicker. Needless to say I usually lose the battle.

It's a family trait with us. My grandmother was famous for talking to the TV during her soap operas. She tell the person on the screen, "Well, it's more than you deserve!" or "Well, maybe you should have kept your pants on!" etc. My dad does it too.

I am so bad about muttering under my breath (and occaisionally yelling) at stupid people on the TV that I am no longer allowed to watch the news with my husband. He won't watch movies with me very often either, because I am that person who's always saying things like, "Now that was stupid. Who does that? Why would they do that?"

That's the test of who wears the pants in a marriage: who controls the remote?

Also: when Bette Davis died, the announcer said that she had won Oscars for OF HUMAN BONDAGE and JEZEBEL. Naturally, I started to yell at the TV screen. (Not that she shouldn't have won for OHB instead of DANGEROUS.)

Don't TV stations have researchers? (The announcer, obviously, was just reading what was put in front of him, as so many do.)

And there was a western that began on the day the Civil War ended. A reporter was saying, "I'm been covering this war for five years now...."

Which I thought interesting, since the war lasted for only four years. I don't remember if I yelled at the screen, but I sure felt like doing it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings