• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NO OBSERVANCE OF VETERANS DAY, TCM?

MHanson

No War Movies today, November 11th? aka Armistice Day

Remembrance Day here in Canada... Kind of disappointing, TCM

No "All Quiet on the Western Front" ?

"The Longest Day" ? "A Bridge Too Far" ? "Midway" ? "Tora Tora Tora" ? "The Battle of Britain" ? "Coming Home" ?

What other movies could they have shown, people?

Thank you to everyone who fought and served and sacrificed to protect our Freedom. especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice... Thank You. We will never forget...

Very disappointed in today's programming! Even AMC is showing the same movies they do every year. What about Battaan, A Walk in the Sun, Action in the North Atlantic, Sahara (Bogart's), The Horse Soldiers, The Blue Max, plenty of others to choose from. TCM has slowly been declining in movie choices of late, let's hope they wake up! VERY disappointed today!!!

I'm thrilled they didn't run war movies today and decided to honor Robert Ryan on his birthday instead. Enough with the glorification of serving the government.

Perhaps in the future they can honor people like my father who had 18 months of his life stolen courtesy of the peacetime draft by airing a day of movies starring fellow peacetime draftee Elvis Presley.

(Dad spent most of those 18 months at White Sands Missile Range, preventing the missiles from falling into the hands of the Ernst Stavro Blofelds of the world.)

Someone might note that four of the Robert Ryan* movies today have war-related themes: Post-war Nazi underground (Berlin Express); Troop betrayal by an officer (Act of Violence); military justice (Crossfire); and vigilante acts against a Nisei soldier (Bad Day at Black Rock). "War movies" don't have to be about battles, and in fact in many or even most of the best ones battle scenes aren't the focus of the film.

*Himself a WW2 veteran

Maybe next year they could show movies by actors that served in WWII like Steward, Power, Gable, etc..

To me that would be a more fitting tribute to those that served as it relates to a station like TCM.

Also, I wonder why TCM isn't showing The Dirty Dozen? (Ok Ryan is only in the first half of that film but the interaction between Ryan and Marvin is classic).

I agree there are many fine Robert Ryan films on today. While I understand why some might be upset that TCM is featuring Ryan instead of Veterans Day and not showing, films with Audie Murray or Sergeant York (just some examples of a heroic American soliders), the Ryan films TCM is showing are very good.

I would hope that comment was just over the top bitterness related to Veterans Day instead of how one really feels about the films of Robert Ryan.

Veteran's Day is not limited to saluting veterans of war, but ALL veterans. There are many choices TCM could have made in movies about military life NOT related to war, if of course, that silly "rights" obstacle wasn't possibly in the way.

A couple of those Lembeck/Ewell "Willie and Joe" movies might have fit in well.

Jack Webb's "The D.I."

NO TIME FOR SEARGENTS

SOLDIER IN THE RAIN

CAPTAIN NEWMAN, MD

YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW

ONION HEAD

...Just to name a few...

Sepiatone

>Bland as gruel? I for one was especially happy to see The Set-Up on the schedule. Bad Day at Black Rock is quite good too.

We've seen those films and all the others today many times over like how gruel is boiled so much its tasteless, Today was a yanwner of a programming day.

Hi folks, thanks for reading and Replying to this thread I created today. I live in Canada, and for many Remembrance Day is a big deal here. We wear our poppies for weeks before November 11th to remember our veterans, many of whom fell on the battlefield and many of us observe a minute of silence at 11:00 a.m.

We don't have both a Memorial Day and Veterans Day like America.

From Wikipedia: " Veterans Day is an official United States holiday that honors people who have served in armed service, also known as veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect.)

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving."

I really feel that TCM was nothing less than negligent with today's programming. Thanks for nothing, TCM. Mark Hanson

The problem with TCM's war movies is that they keep recycling the same titles over and over and over and over and over. How many times can they show From Here To Eternity and The Bridge Over the River Kwai?

As long as we're engaging in fantasy wish lists, here's mine: What TCM should really do is to run 24 hours straight of foreign-produced war films ( Kapo, Come and See, Katyn, Days of Glory, etc.) so we can get a respite from the Same Old Same Old.

I can never understand why some people think that the best way to honor our veterans ( those who saw the horrors of war first hand and also those who served in peacetime) on these holidays is to just load up all day on a bunch of "war" films. Is this just to serve as entertainment for the rest of us? Gee, as a naive kid it was neat to watch all of the action battle scenes, with planes and ships and tanks, etc with lots of explosions and destruction. In the movies it is all so sanitized, the good guys (us) win in the end and when the hero sometimes falls it is all so noble. Lets face facts. War is Hell, its ugly and a lot of innocent people (even some on the other side) suffer terribly. These holidays are meant to honor our fellow citizens who served our countries and often endured some horrible experiences. Many of these people don't need graphic reminders of those experiences. We all must remember our veterans but there are much better ways to show our appreciation in a more personal one on one fashion. As for scheduling a day of movies we have to be a little more selective and sensitive in what we want shown.

Archived