Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NO OBSERVANCE OF VETERANS DAY, TCM?

Fedya, I strongly disagree about draftee veterans "serving the government". I was drafted in 1971 after just having graduated from college and being married. I didn't **** and didn't flee to Canada as one of my friends did. I sure as hell didn't want to go, but I did. Turned out I was lucky because I was stationed in San Antonio instead of Viet Nam.

My years in the army did not seem like I was cheated, deprived or "stolen". I feel like I contributed my to my country. I bet Elvis did too.

I find your whining anti-American liberalism insulting to veterans, drafted or conscripted. I served my country, albeit reluctantly, and your father should have told you the same thing.

Gorch, don't automatically link liberalism to being anti- American. A lot of "liberals" have served the nation very well and some went well above and beyond the call of duty. Fedya is wrong in saying "serving the government" , its "serving the nation and its people". Its up to our government leaders (political and military) to use these military people wisely and responsibly , which they don't always do.

"The Best Years of Our Lives"(1946) is the best way to honor our veterans if one don't want combat films.

Couldn't agree more, and if you wanted to honor them with a double feature, you could do a lot worse than The Search:

NgcbH.jpg

> Thank you for pointing out my misuse of the word liberal, MrRoberts. I was wrong and apologize if I offended anyone.

You didn't offend me so much as bemuse me, since I'm a libertarian and not a liberal in the sense that you were using the word. :-) If you go and read the last thread on *The Fountainhead* when it aired a week or two ago, you'll see I was one of the people generally more sympathetic to the ideas Ayn Rand was presenting. (Not that she could write a screenplay, which is where the movie really falls flat. But I don't want to start that discussion again.)

>i think it is a disgrace to ignore vets day! lots of vets and their families watch TCM get with the program so to speak and stop with the foreign garbage we want our american film classics!

johnbabe,

I didn't realize that by honoring WWII veteran Robert Ryan (with a selection of films in war time) was depicting "foreign garbage".

While Robert Ryan and many others fought that you might you have freedom to say that, chances are, they would be a great deal more tolerant of the films shown on TCM on Monday than you are.

Looks like Johnbabe doesn't even know what day is Veterans Day!

As you know the foreign films where shown on Tuesday, the day after associated with The Story of Film series.

Man, since Veterans Day has passed I believed the complaints would stop. That was a foolish idea on my part!

i have a right to saY THAT TCM did not observe veterans day - i know it was Monday and you should know that too - i am a loyal American and thinks that the Vets should have been honored by TCM - and yes i am sick of this foreign junk that is being shown - i am watching TCM less and lesser these days - thank goodness Crawford will be SOTM in January maybe TCM is returning to its senses!

Why not e-mail TCM with your complaint then? The boards were meant for movie discussions, not constant complaining about TCM. People get tired of reading about it. There's nothing any reader here can do about it anyway. I happen to disagree with you. I dont think it's TCM's mission to have holiday themed movies on every holiday that comes around every year. TCM did show many war themed movies all Memorial Day wknd this year.........

From Wikipedia: " Veterans Day is an official United States holiday that honors people who have served in armed service, also known as veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect.)

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

Here in Canada we only have one such day - Remembrance Day.

Memorial Day dates to the end of the American Civil War, and it was dedicated to all veterans of both sides. It was traditionally May 30th but eventually moved to the last Monday of the month of May. This created a nice 3 day weekend but I feel lessens the significance of the day. With Memorial Day and Veterans Day in place there seems to be little need for anymore "big" holidays commemorating events like V-E or V-J day. Not that those days and what they stand for should be forgotten.