Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BORN TO BE BAD

DownGoesFrazier

It wasn't Fontaine's looks but how she acted.

That shy, I don't know anything about sex, do you want to teach me, oh stop but don't, type of line can really hook some men.

Joan Leslie looked great in this film, but she was kind of hard (nice way of saying it) and that is what drove Scott from one Joan to another.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Nov 12, 2013 12:01 PM

I agree that Joan Fontaine wasn't exactly Ava Gardner or even Joan Leslie when it came to looks, but I still liked Born To Be Bad. What most interested me about it is the many ways in which Fontaine's Christabel seems like a forerunner to Anne Baxter's Eve Harrington in the much better known All About Eve, which was released just three months later. The latter movie is far more memorable in many ways, but there's still that one similarity that's hard not to notice.

It always amazes me that how, in so many movies back then and even TODAY, men set about ruining their lives due to allowing themselves to be ruled by the "little" head!

"OK. So my WIFE, who still looks good after 25 years of marriage, will get tossed aside, and my loving children will be severely hurt because this 23 year old **** makes my feel good for 10 minutes every once in a while, and I just KNOW she's interested in ME, and NOT my MONEY!"

Yeah, sorry...I know this has nothing to do with the movie, but I had to vent somewhere. As a man, I resent us being presented as such brainless dupes. Even in spite of that actually happening sometimes. Just not to the degree it's presented.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, now in progress...

Sepiatone

Hey, what's wrong with Joan Fontaine's looks? I would've chosen her (looks wise) over Joan Leslie any day...........

Will that be a potato and tomato salad, or a potahto and tomahto salad?

(Well, as long as Louise Brooks or Loretta Young comes on the side, who cares?) ;)

Well Joan Fontaine is very petite. Some men like women to have more meat on their bones. i.e. more of a figure.

I think Fontaine has a very nice looking face but in Born To Be Bad Joan Leslie looked better than she ever did. In all the movies I had seen her in before this one she had a toned down type of look. (Often her roles where middle class or poor gals or she played the somewhat awkward younger sister).

Born to Be Bad had a lot of high fashion and Leslie had grown up.

Regardless I enjoy this film. Not high art by any means but still some very fine performances in what is mostly a soap opera.

Wikipedia describes BORN TO BE BAD as a "melodrama film noir" in which JOAN FONTAINE plays "a manipulative young woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants".

Sorta sounds like SCARLETT O'HARA, James.

How come you didn't sound out about THAT?

Sepiatone

Well as I mention for many men it is about the complete package.

I agree that Wood and Tierney had a more beautiful face than Taylor, but Taylor had a full body while Tierney was a stick.

Wood had it all in my opinion.

I prefer a beautiful face and style over body shape. E.g. Audrey Hepburn over Monroe. But most men I know think I'm crazy!

Sepiatone wrote:

>"OK. So my WIFE, who still looks good after 25 years of marriage, will get tossed aside, and my loving children will be severely hurt because this 23 year old **** makes my feel good for 10 minutes every once in a while, and I just KNOW she's interested in ME, and NOT my MONEY!"

In Moonstruck, there's an exchange between two characters on that subject:

Rose: Why do men chase women?

Johnny: Well, there's a Bible story... God... God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. Now maybe men chase women to get the rib back. When God took the rib, he left a big hole there, where there used to be something. And the women have that. Now maybe, just maybe, a man isn't complete as a man without a woman.

Rose: But why would a man need more than one woman?

Johnny: I don't know. Maybe because he fears death.

Rose: That's it! That's the reason!

Johnny: I don't know...

Rose: No! That's it! Thank you! Thank you for answering my question!

It's either that, or maybe they are just vain and stupid?

BOTH sexes have people who are quite capable of seducing and manipulating the other to achieve what they want from them. Beauty or handsomeness are not always necessary for this if the person knows how to use their charm or chemistry to best advantage. Their targets are the ones who usually end up hurt.

What's satisfying about this story is that all the men Christabel goes after finally get her number and say enough. Of course we can only wonder how many more are out there she's going to entrap.

The clothes were beautiful although I wondered how Joan kept all those strapless dresses up without tape. She wasn't exactly endowed with a lot of what it took to hold them up.

*Not a bad film, but it strains credibility that multiple men would find Joan Fontaine so irresistable. A fine actress, but she's no Ava Gardner,,,,,,,,,,,,and Joan Leslie was more of a looker than Fontaine was.*

-----------------------------------------------

Joan Fontaine was a fine actress. Her character used emotional trickery on Zachary Scott, but I can't understand what Robert Ryan saw in her.

P.S. While slim and reasonably attractive, Ms. Fontaine was too old to play a secretarial student...she looked like she could have been the teacher! I could see Jean Simmons in that part.

BLU

So your preference for Audrey IS related to her body, not her face. ....Though I am rather slim myself, I always prefer females that are a bit more substantial. Can't do any better than Sophia Loren, who also has better legs than just about any other actress.

I'm with Joe Tex in my preference for non-Rubenesque female body types ("Don't wanna bump no more...."), but it takes more than a slim figure to be a true gamine. It also takes a combination of a pretty face, lots of joie de vivre, and a soulfulness that's hard to put into words, but I know it when I see it. Audrey had it all, Louise Brooks had it, Loretta Young had it in a few of her pre-codes like A Man's Castle, the young Meg Ryan had it on occasion, and so on. It's not that uncommon a type, but I never saw it in Marilyn. And anyway, I don't like the Dumb Blonde type, no matter if she wasn't all that dumb offscreen. But then YMMV and all that.

I don't see them as contradictory, but I see where they could cause confusion.

My comparison of the faces of Wood, Tierney and Taylor was not an indication of my favorite type of gal, overall.

In the fourth paragraph I list my preference of a beautiful face and style over body shape. I mention Monroe because I don?t consider her face to be really beautiful and to me she lacks style. Audrey has these qualities in spades but she doesn?t have a great body.

It really was my comment about Natalie Wood that provides the most insight into my taste. I think she has a really beautiful face, great style and a very nice body. My comment about Taylor might have been misleading. Taylor has a beautiful face (but a notch below Tierney), but her body was killer in those early years (say from A Place in the Sun). So for the complete package I would take Taylor over Tierney.

Seems to me that Elizabeth Taylor looked good, but she fussed a lot in some of her films, and she had a high-pitched voice, so she tended to screech, such as when she yells "I'm Maggie the Cat" in the promo for that film. Even in Cleopatra, she screeched like Maggie the Cat.

They needed to do something with her voice.

Eva was always sweet, and had a sweet voice, even when she got mad.