Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A giant hand...

Vertigo2

This is quite trivial and very obscure, but here goes:

When I was a very young child and very impressionable, my mother and I saw the 1953 noir movie "Vicki" (ok - I was five, and yep, Mom brought her kids to almost anything!) Leaving the theatre, I was struck by a poster of the next attraction which freaked me out and I thought about it long afterwards. I saw "Vicki" for the first time since then not long ago and thought again of that poster.

The poster depicted a woman in a living room screaming as a giant hand comes through the ceiling and apparently is about to grab her. Thinking of it now, for all I know the hand could be metaphoric (the mob is after a potential witness?) or maybe literal (some forgotten B movie i've never heard of?).

At any rate for me it's an unsolved 60 year old mystery and I thought maybe some TCM fan who enjoys scoping out old movie posters may have come across it and would know the movie.

You didn't say what year you saw the movie. This could be the obvious -

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958). Here's a partial description:

>Meanwhile, Nancy awakens and breaks free of her restraints. Determined to avenge herself on her unfaithful husband, she stomps off to town. When she rips the roof off the bar to get at Harry, she spots Honey. She drops a ceiling beam on her rival, killing her. Harry panics and begins shooting, but she picks him up and walks away. Gunshots have no apparent effect on her. The sheriff fires a riot gun, which causes a nearby power line transformer to blow up, killing her. The doctors find Harry lying dead in her hand.

It was in 1953 so too soon for the 50' woman, but otherwise would fit like a glove!

And yep, Finance I think we are (around the same age) Coincidentally, my first film I saw with MY grandfather - but it may have a year or so after it's release, unless I was only 3 at the time though my memories are vivid - 1951's "Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings