Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(OT Somewhat) Rich Man Poor Man

sfpcc2

This Sunday on Encore they are showing the complete Rich Man Poor Man mini series from 1976. It's start at 10 AM (EST) and ends at 8:40 PM.

Since I was eight years old when it was first on I've never seen it. I know it's not classic film, but I think some folks on this board would be interested in it.

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Nov 14, 2013 5:59 PM

:) I too will be watching, the theme's been in my head since Monday when I got the news. Have I ever been waiting for this!

I don't think that it's the whole series Sunday. If I remember it was over 20 hours long so they'll need to do it over two Sundays. It will also be on ENC starting Monday night spaced over the rest of the week.

This was history in the making. Young folks have no idea who big a production this was and how big a deal it was to us viewers. There's not enough fingers and toes to count the stars who appeared in it; those we already knew and those who became ones because of it. Like *Centennial* it was hardly a "mini series" as it was longer than a season of regular episodes. In fact, they did spin off one that soon crashed.

I remember it well. It WAS a big deal back then. A television "event".

I could never figure out though, why the change from the book to having only the Jordache brothers. Actress Susan Blakely's character was that of a girlfriend of actor Peter Strauss. All the experiences her character has in the TV movie were experienced by a sister, Gretchen, in the book. There was no sister in the series.

None the less, EVERYBODY discussed it. At work, old guys discussed it with the young guys. Black guys discussed it with white guys. Women discussed it with men. You could even go to a donut shop where nobody knew you and strike up a conversation about it!

I'm gonna try to catch it.

Sepiatone

finance wrote:

There was also a RMPM, part II, which featured Peter Strauss, but not Nick Nolte.

That was the one I was referring to. Julie died in the first episode and Rudy got a new lover played by Susan Sullivan. The show never clicked and had a shorter run than the "mini-series".

A good topic for discussion back then was which brother was really the rich one and which the poor. If you went by just wealth the answer was obvious but if by what really counts it came out differently. That's why you could never forget the ending; at least that's why I couldn't.

Horray, I was finally able to post this message. Automatic updates to my computer so messed up my home page I had to call Netscape to straighten it out then found I could write a post but when I hit "send" got a message to leave the page, which erased the post,or stay which did nothing. I had to call again and the technician disabled the automatic function and tooak me back to where it was before. Now I will get asked in advance. Scary afternoon.

Actually, Irwin Shaw wrote a 1977 sequel to "Rich Man, Poor Man" and titled it "Beggarman, Thief." It had nothing to do with the TV sequel, "Rich Man, Poor Man: Book II," but it spawned a 1979 made-for-television production starring Jean Simmons and Glenn Ford.

Edited by: jakeem on Nov 16, 2013 1:52 PM

>You actually SAW Peter Strauss, in person? Wow.

LOL

Well, if THAT "impressed" you here, finance, wanna hear my story about the time during a motorcycle ride through the beautiful area of Ojai CA(and where I hear Mr.Strauss has lived for years) I had lunch the next table over from him at an outdoor restaurant?

(...yeah, I thought that might impress ya too!) ;) LOL

And speakin' of the guy, besides this landmark television production, he of course also starred in another of my favorite television miniseries, "Masada". Good actor. I wonder why he hasn't done more work than he has?

Peter Strauss does mostly TV work, particualy TV movies. A few years ago I saw in License To Wed, a somewhat annoying Robin Williams film,

(As I remember it he played Mandy Moore's father.) He also was a spokesman for Scotts Miracle Gro.

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Nov 17, 2013 12:54 AM

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Nov 17, 2013 12:57 AM

:) Oh my stars, was it ever worth the wait! Unlike some shows that don't hold up through the years this one was better than I remembered.

I was shocked that it only ran 12 hours if you added commercial time. I was certain it was longer. Perhaps during the original broadcast it was spaced over so many nights it seemed that way. It's great we got the whole thing today.

I still say the rich man died "on the happiest day of his life" and that's why you're left so angry. We watched Tom go from delinquent kid to loving father, friend and husband and as Kate said not see it even out. I'd forgotten how far Rudy falls and yet he's left. With Julie, he does find out the hard way to "be careful what you wish for, sometimes you get it".

Falcolnetti has always been William Smith's most memorable role for me but I'd forgotten how smarmy Robert Reed made Eddie Boylan. He proved what a convincing actor he could be in a substantial role. I think that out of lead and supporting Emmy nominations that year for mini-series cast members got all but 5 or 6 out of at least 20; three or four were running against each other in each category.

Again, it is running all week starting tomorrow night if anybody missed a part of it or wants to see what we're all taking about. Thank you, Encore!

I watching episode 2 right now. It's always weird seeing Mike Brady playing kind of a letch. (I read "Growing Up Brady, he did not like that role. His Letters to the producers of that show are really funny. However, he was in the spinoffs.)

I figure it'll take about a week to get through the whole thing.

The Movie Reality Bites had one great line. "Life is not the Brady Bunch. In the real world Mike Brady dies of AIDS."

I always thought that Ed Asner saying the line "the sins of the father" a few times, was what Tom's death was about. Ed tells the story to Rudy how he killed an Englishman by the canal or river, steals his money and dumps his body in the canal. He also committs suicide in his boat in the water. Sins of the father revisited, since the ocean is where Tommy is fatally wounded and the boat connection. I remembered that Tommy dies, but I was hoping I remembered it wrong! Oh well, really enjoyed seeing Rich Man Poor Man again.

This was one of those times when the TV version was much better than the book. The book was really trashy, although I may be prejudiced by having seen the mini series first.

The smartest thing the TV people did was combined three women characters from the book-Gretchen Jordache (sister), Julie Hornberg (H.S. girlfriend) and Jean Prescott into one character. The story and the point of the story is stronger the way they did it.

I was in high school when this ran and everyone, boys and girls, were glued to the set each night.

*Edited to note that Sepiatone earlier mentioned Gretchen. I'm guessing they wanted to give Rudy an anchor other than just a need for wealth, so they created the girl on the pedestal.*

Edited by: ginnyfan on Nov 18, 2013 10:04 AM