Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: AAAIIIEEEE!! It's started ALREADY!

Sepiatone

Actually, a WEEK ago!

CHRISTMAS music 25/7 on the radio!

A local station here used to wait until Thanksgiving to go the 24 hour Christmas music route, and end on the 26th. THEN they extended it to NEW YEAR'S day.

But NOW, Halloween barely faded and it began! If this pace keeps up, we'll be listening to Burl Ives sing "Holly, Jolly Christmas" on the 4th of July!

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Sepiatone

Well, I think the early Christmas music and early decoration themes in stores cheer people up. This is the BIG holiday season of the year, and when Jan 2 comes around, everyone gets all depressed because the Holidays are over and won't come around again for another 10-11 months.

This is the shortest holiday season possible. 6 days less for shopping between Black Friday and Christmas. It is estimated that will reduce spending by about 1.5 billion. So stores need to increase consumer spending in this shorter time period.

I guess if people get cheered by advertisements for needless stuff and spending money they don't have on said stuff, than, yea, be happy folks!

I don't see where pushing materialism relates to the true spirit of Christmas.

Sad that you're so clueless about what Christmas is about.

PS: Rick Warren made a very similar point. He asked his members NOT to go shopping on Thanksgiving but instead enjoy the holiday with their familes.

I guess Warren is just a commie!

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Nov 13, 2013 2:44 PM

> I don't see where pushing materialism relates to the true spirit of Christmas

You DON'T? :o

WHAT kind of AMERICAN are you?

It certainly doesn't cheer ME up! In this family, Christmas, like funerals, brings out the WORST in some people. Less and less people appreciate what gifts they recieve, clamoring to stores in order to exchange the gift someone put much time, effort and love into choosing, or else gripe to anyone who'll listen about how CHEAP they thought it was. NEVER considering that it WAS a GIFT, and nobody is under ANY obligation to give one.

My "fondest" Christmas memory is when I wound up ostracized by one side of my family for speaking up in objection to, one Christmas Eve gathering, their all agreeing to one's claim, made on the eve of the day we celebrate the birth of the son of God, the Prince of Peace, that "All them **** need to be lined up and shot!".

Hope this holiday goes better for you guys.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Nov 13, 2013 3:03 PM

There are times when I feel like my family so NOT normal. My family gets along very well with each other. We love holidays and voluntarily spend time together each week. Holidays are noisy and fun. I realize I am very lucky, but it does sort of preclude good "bad" holiday stories, so there's a downside. ;) (Gah. Did that sound unbearably smug?)

Want to let you know its not you. Stores and people in general for some reason are starting Christmas earlier this year. 2 houses in my area already decorated last week and my local Bog Lots store placed out the decorations in late *September* along with the Halloween.

For the love of Mike, one holiday at a time.

I wait after Thanksgiving before I decorate my house and turn them off after January 1st. Far as music, well long as its not xmas rap or Chipmunks, ick.

Like to mention.. me shop on Black Friday?? FORGET it, I rather be drawn and quartered!

Even Nostradamus never envision this apocalyptic scene.

Black-Friday-software-deals.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Nov 13, 2013 7:58 PM

In my post I provided one key reason store are starting Black Friday on Thanksgiving. Due to Thanksgiving being so late in the month there are 6 less shopping days between Black Friday and Christmas.

Since around 40% of retail sales are made in this period many stores felt starting the sales on Thanksgiving would reduce the amount of loss revenue (estimated to be around 1.5 billion), due to the shorten period.

My wife and I are in tune in one facet. We prefer to give each other and other people more "personal" gifts at Christmas. No expensive jewelery. No 60" flatscreen monitors. No mink coats. Therefore there's no need to get involved in the lunacy of "Black Friday" shopping at the local shopping maul. Yeah, I MEANT "maul".

Six less days to shop shouldn't pose a problem for anyone with a lick of sense. Keep the list simple and heartfelt, and it should be reletively easy and quick.

But none of this does anything to detour the drama. Around Thanksgiving, it should be time for my one sister-in-law to find some reason, usually never clearly stated, to have nothing to do with the rest of the family. And she'll keep it up until Christmas Eve, when all will be forgiven and she'll show up for dinner. Of course, she'll contribute absolutely nothing to it since she wasn't talking to anyone until then, and also profer no gifts. Oh, but she'll gripe plenty when it's discovered she hadn't gotten any gifts either.

It's an annual event. In fact, it wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Don't get me wrong. I like Christmas. The decorations I and others display are pleasing to the eye, and there ARE many songs and carols I hold dear. It's just that at my age, I grew up with the "season" starting AFTER Thanksgiving, sometimes a week or so later. It's that I don't liked being rushed no matter WHAT the event.

I DO find it a source of amusement that when the local news, along with the stores, get masses of idiots to jump through hoops like lion tamers at the circus, by urging them to "get out there" before all the X-Boxes and iPads are GONE!

Incidentally, I'm thinking of buying one of my nephews a BOOK, just to watch him try to figure out where all the APPS are!

Sepiatone

>But NOW, Halloween barely faded and it began! If this pace keeps up, we'll be listening to Burl Ives sing "Holly, Jolly Christmas" on the 4th of July!

The year after the 2008 crash, some stores in the midwest tried just that. "Christmas in July" promotions. The shoppers complained and they took them down.

Nowadays, anything to make a buck. To heck with Tradition .

> To heck with Tradition

The problem is, it now IS the "tradition"!

I posted this same complaint on another forum I belong to. Someone suggested I get one of the "New, Improved" advent calendars that have, instead of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" it has "The Twelve WEEKS of Christmas"!

Sepiatone

I usually refuse to rush the seasons and shop on Thanksgiving or "Black Friday" but did get a new 4-foot pre-lit tree last week at Michael's for $20.00. I'll take my time getting ornaments as I've never had a problem finding good and tasteful gifts in December and am sure there will still be plenty of them still left on 11/30 as well. Clerks deserve to be at home with their families and the turkey; I refuse to be part of the problem.

I hate to say it, but I predict that within a year or two stores will start their post-Christmas sales ON CHRISTMAS DAY. You can just imagine the ads proclaiming "Open Your Gifts In The Morning and Exchange Them In The Afternoon". They're all just waiting because they don't want the negative publicity of being the first one to do it. Then they can say "we didn't want to do it, but have to to keep competitive".

I think you are 100% dead on MP2.

As a non-Christian who works at a MALL I find the "holiday" disgusting and usually take the month off and work at home.

For someone on the outside looking in, the "holiday" seems to be nothing about Christianity but instead totally evil and dare I say "satanistic"?

I did notice however, listening to the music piped overhead, that many of the songs were introduced in movies; "Silver Bells" from the LEMON DROP KID, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, "White Christmas" from HOLIDAY INN, etc.

While I hate the "holiday" itself, I really like movies about it. Kind of like gangster movies, like 'em but wouldn't want to be them.

> the "holiday" seems to be nothing about Christianity

WHAAAAT? You mean the Three Wise Men DIDN'T bring baby Jesus a 60" flat panel monitor, an iPad and a Jaguar? Or rather, a JAG-U-AH?

Yeah, my disgust is having employees exploited for commerce. Having them come in to work while the store's owner is probably kickin' back at home with the family. In tough economic times, they'll make the sacrifice because they need the money, or are threatened with dismissal if they don't. Like denigrating an employee who really needs his job by making him/her wear a degrading costume and stand out by the roadside to attract customers to their store, regardless of safety or weather. They've earned a special corner in HELL as far as I'm concerned.

Sepiatone

The irony of making employees work on Thanksgiving now is that the purpose of the original "shop early" campaigns of 100 years ago was to prevent the harsh working conditions that had previously resulted from the mad rush to do all Christmas shopping at the last minute. The idea was to spread out the shopping season to make things easier on the shop clerks.

But now, it's come full circle, and the mad rush starts on Black Friday or even on Thanksgiving itself, with the employees having to deal with insane shoppers who will sometimes, sadly, literally crush each other in their quest to get the best deals. I have a close relative who used to work at a major retailer, and he told stories of Black Friday shoppers shoving each other aside to grab the most sought-after items, and even stealing things from each other's shopping carts.

Not exactly the holiday spirit that you see in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, where the last-minute rush seems almost quaintly and gently hectic.

Edited by: BingFan on Nov 16, 2013 12:17 PM

Hey, Wallmart is giving every employee that has to work on Thanksgiving a Turkey meal. What a deal!

The L.A. Times reported about this Thanksgiving shopping early in the week. I just read the Saturday 'letters to the editor'. According to the Times everyone that wrote to them related to this was against stores being open that day. Many said they would boycot the store for the entire holiday season.

As someone who used to work in retail (the fact that it was a book store only slightly alleviated this purgatory), I can attest to the pressure put on employees to work work work all through the Christmas season, extra hours, later hours, Boxing Day (which in Canada is a statutory holiday, but retail staff still have to work, or risk the consequences - the extra pay simply isn't worth it...).

I hated working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, when the rest of my family had the time off and relaxed, while I had to trudge out to the mall and sell sell sell.

Working in a mall is the worst, because the individual store you work in has to conform to whatever hours the mall dictates it will be open - all the retail outlets in a mall have to be consistent.

One year on Christmas Eve, I started sliding the store's big front doors closer and closer to each other every five minutes or so. It was the first year the Mall had decreed we all had to stay open til 6. Starting around 5, I kept sneakily trying to close the doors more and more, leaving only a small opening for those frantic (and selfish) last minute shoppers to rush in. For this of course I got into trouble.

Anyone who has ever worked in retail should be aware of an absolutely hilarious comic strip, entitled "RETAIL"., by Norm Feuti, someone who has surely experienced the full measure of all the frustrations and misadventures that go with being a store employee.

Here's one he wrote about working at Christmas time:

retail-christmas.gif