Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Till the Clouds Roll By

MelissaW.

In general, I enjoy the Arthur Freed musicals. So many of them (particularly the '51 Show Boat) display such beautiful, candy box colors. But the color in this one, along with sets and costumes and even down to the makeup, seems off to me.

But there are little gems, like Lena Horne, Dinah Shore, and the satin-voiced Tony Martin singing "All the Things You Are" (my favorite song of all time.)

What does Lena Horne sing in this one? Can't do any better than Lena's rendition of "Love" in ZIEGFELD FOLLIES.

She sings "Why Was I Born?" and then also sings "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" in costume as Julie Laverne in a sort of mini-production of Show Boat that opens the film. (In that production, Kathryn Grayson does a little mini tryout as Magnolia opposite Tony Martin as Gay.)

Funny but I was just out to dinner with my manager and her boyfriend.

They know that I'm a big 'old' movie and jazz fan. I mentioned that Poter and Kern were some of my favorite songwriters and they mentioned TTCRB. They were surprised I had never seen it and were happy that, for once, they could recommend something to me!

Then I see this thread. Did TCM just show this movie? I was out of town and the hotel didn't carry TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings