Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Susprise Endings that Actually Surprised You

LonesomePolecat

**** *S P O I L E R - A L E R T ! ! !*

No Way Out (1987)

I had no clue what was coming and I don't believe there were any hints in the film either. Kevin Costner as Farrell turns out to be the real KGB "mole" (called Yuri) in the Department of Defense. Aware of Brice's (Gene Hackman) affair, the Soviet Union had assigned Yuri to seduce his mistress and gather intelligence from her.

The story keeps you so wrapped up in Farrell and Brice both trying not to be tied into the death of Brice's mistress (who is also Farrell's girl) - accidentally killed by Brice, you don't have time to consider much else.

The giveaway was at the very end of the film when we see Farrell taken in by the Soviet agents and then speaking fluent Russian with them.

I was sold on Costner's character from the beginning right up to the end. Brilliant.

"Skyline" (2001) has that type of ending - a surprise, STUPID ending that made me hate the thing. I was already angry at the ship surviving a nuke exploding *inside it!* The ending added insult to injury.

"Star Trek Generations" (1994) :(

the-worst-movie-deaths-for-great-charact

Edited by: hamradio on Nov 17, 2013 6:05 PM

*LONE STAR* , 1996

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/

A very good murder mystery film, set in the West, in Texas, near the Mexican border.

A nice long investigation by a Sheriff?s Deputy, and a surprise ending. And then, guess what? There is a second surprise ending a few minutes later. I think this is the only film I?ve seen with two surprise endings. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpq36KlpNA

You can turn off the CC if it happens to be on.

The Sixth Sense (1999). I did not see it coming with Bruce Willis being something other than what he appeared to be. Totally shocked and chilled me even though looking back the movie was one big hint after another. Even when I see the movie again it still just shocks me. I was totally oblivious and still am at the end.

Probably the biggest and lousiest letdown ending to me is in the completely anticlimactic silly ending of Red River (1948). The whole movie builds in a crescendo of upcoming violence and then the BS ending forced on Howard Hawks withers the otherwise great movie.

Edited by: roverrocks on Nov 17, 2013 6:39 PM

I was also totally shocked by the end of Witness for the Prosecution. I think the casting of the genial Power helped tremendously. He just seemed too feckless to pull off such a complicated cover-up.

And although it's now a cultural icon, I remember the first time I saw Planet of the Apes and being completely shocked and thoroughly delighted by the shock. Of course, now I see the plot holes. (Why didn't Heston's character wonder why the apes spoke English?)

***************SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER ALERT*********************

And this is kind of different, but do you ever watch movies and you wish something would happen but you're pretty sure it won't because most films just never seem to "go there"? The end of Damn the Defiant is like that for me. You soooooo want Bogarde's character to get his but you know straight-laced Alec Guinness will not cover for the men responsible, even though he should because Bogarde deserved it. And then he DOES and it's just so offhanded and yet perfect. I love it.

It's a relatively recent movie, but I would also say The Sixth Sense. The fact that the kid could see dead people wasn't a revelation; in fact, the scene where he reveals his power to his mother, which is the next-to-last scene in the film, was actually the very first scene shown in the trailer, which I somehow managed to see at least a half dozen times before I saw the movie. But the nature of Bruce Willis' character and what the opening scene really meant completely took me by surprise. As I was watching it, I recall I was actually writing a little review of the film in my head. All these scenes with Bruce and the kid are really compelling, I was thinking, but all these extra scenes with Bruce and his wife who doesn't seem to be aware of his existence are really distracting and dragging down the main focus of the film. Then that last scene comes along and we see why Bruce's wife isn't aware of his existence. Wow.

I agree with the people who say the twist of THE SIXTH SENSE surprised them. After it was revealed I remember saying to person I watched it with (on video), "I KNOW Bruce Willis had a conversation with the boy's mother" so I went back and watched and sure enough there were no words exchanged between the two characters.

In BODY HEAT I didn't see the plot twist coming.

The startling surprise that comes midway through THE OTHER was handled as skillfully in the movie as it was in the book. If I hadn't read the book first, I never would have anticipated it. One's first reaction might be that the author/director didn't play fair with the reader/viewer. But if you go back, you'll see that he did.

And, folks, given the nature of this thread, let's all be generous with our use of

====== SPOILER ALERTS ======

>The Bridges at Toko Ri. You've grown accustumed to seeing the "cavalry" rescue the hero at the last minute. I did not see this ending coming but it makes for an honest story.

Good pick, wouldbe. I remember my first viewing of this film as a teenager in the mid-60s when it was first broadcast on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie series. And yes, I remember also being surprised by the ending for exactly the well-worded reason you gave here.

I'm 100% gullible when it comes to movies, even when they tell you the end at the beginning, like DOA or SUNSET BLVD, I just get wrapped up in the story and forget.

MrTiki however, *always* guesses the conclusion/whodunit and whispers it in my ear, much to my chagrin. And TikiKid is totally his daughter and been doing that since she was like 10 or so.

So for fun I showed her THE SIXTH SENSE. In the first 15 minutes when the boy is talking to Bruce Willis's charactor, the kid blurts out, "OH, so Bruce Willis is dead then, right?"

841.gif

She WAS completely surprised by the ending of PSYCHO, though!

And recently I was surprised at the ending of Fritz Lang's WOMAN IN THE WINDOW, but like I said, I'm easily fooled.

I went out of my way to not say anything specific about the ending of The Sixth Sense (although the poster below me did not!), so I don't feel like I need to be lectured about not giving a spoiler alert warning.

However, even if I had revealed the ending, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Any person who hypothetically sees the subject heading for this thread and wanders into it anyway thinking they can read it with no fear of having a movie ending revealed is being incredibly naive, in my opinion. The burden is on them, not me.

Yes, I do watch movies sometimes wishing something else would happen.....and in one case it actually did! Someone has already mentioned Body Heat. I want to elaborate on what happened, but I don't want to spoil it for some who may not have seen the film. Suffice it to say, it ended just the way that I hoped it would..................

You know, I am so surprised to see so many postings about "The Sixth Sense"! It was actually my first choice, but I felt that no one else but me could have been fooled when there were so many clues throughout the film. I watched it alone the first time, and later on with my then 15 year old daughter. When the movie got to the point when Cole reveals his secret to the psychiatrist, she said the same thing that TikiKid said! I guess sometimes we adults look for more complexity, and a child can see the simplicity in things.................

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings