Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lizabeth Scott for SOTM

TopBilled

I'll second that! She certainly was today. I know *Dead Reconing* seems like a knock off of of *Maltese Falcoln* with bits of *The Big Sleep* thrown in but it's a good film on its own. She steals *Martha Ivers* from Barbara Stanwyck which is hard to do. She's welcome on my screen anytime.

And the nice thing about her is that she is still around and enjoys talking about her films. She would probably sit down on camera for an interview with the folks at TCM, like Kim Novak did.

I'd really like to see the movie she made with Elvis. That film seldom screens on cable and it's an excellent little picture.

I love Lizabeth Scott, but if TCM had substituted Too Late For Tears and I Walk Alone for Easy Living and The Company She Keeps, we would have seen the great majority of her best movies today in barely over 11 hours. With only 22 movies in her entire repertory, you'd almost have to be able to show all of them in order to fill out a month.

THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS is more or less a vehicle for Jane Greer, though Liz does a fine job steering things (and is top billed for her troubles). I happen to like EASY LIVING '49-- it's not a four star masterpiece, but it is a very solid picture with good direction by Tourneur, excellent cinematography and smart performances by all five leads (Mature, Ball, Scott, Tufts and Nolan).

I realized what it is that I admire so much about Lizabeth Scott. She's not in your face, but her movements and line deliveries are very calculated and purposeful. In my view, she is a casual type of Method actress.

Her westerns show her skills just as well as her noir assignments.

LOVING YOU is one my favorite Elvis movies along with KING CREOLE. Liz does a fine job as the publicist. Loved her riding in the caddy with Elvis. Encore had a celebration of Elvis`s movies a few months ago, but LOVING YOU was not included. I think that the movie LY was Delores Hart`s debut.

TB,

I'm surprised you don't know the order that Lizabeth Scott will be honored by TCM, since you seem adamant in the order for the 20th Century Fox stars....lol. Seriously, though, the sexy Miss Scott would be a soldi choice for SOTM. Hopefully, some of her rarer films can be inculded in said tribute.

I have been a rabid fan of Film Noir since the internet created a place for all us. B/W movies dense with dialogue and filled with great use of shadows and plot twists. My favorite actress from that era is Lizabeth Scott. I think I have mentioned that more than once:) Yesterday something happened that felt bizarrely intentional and unkind. TCM (Turner Classic Movies) ran 7 of her movies back to back but they NEVER mentioned her name. THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS listed her as the primary star but TCM only mentioned Jane Greer who was also in the movie. Ms. Scott is alive and still the classy Lady who so beautfully embodied the "stuff that dreams are made of." The leader of our fan site on FB notified her about what we thought was a tribute to her. Now we are in the ghastly place of possibly bringing hurt when we meant to bring joy. I do not know how TCM will explain what they did. I have written them and others are planning to do the same. I think every fan of Noir would treasure a Lizabeth Scott day. She has gone way out of her comfort zone to pay tribute to other actors and directors. She is always generous and gracious about the people she worked with, giving them the credit. I still can't fathom what TCM did. Who needs to be hurtful to a 91 year old woman who did nothing except entertain and charm us?

lizharper,

Thanks for commenting on the thread. Although the on-air announcements may not have 'paid tribute' to Lizabeth, I think it was fairly obvious that with seven of her pictures scheduled back to back that she was certainly being honored.

And if I'm not mistaken, TCM did run DEAD RECKONING back in September on her birthday.

Lizharper, its routine for TCM to run blocks of films during the morning and afternoon hours featuring a particular actor/actress, sometimes "honoring" them on a birthday. There's very little pre advertisement done and no Robert Osborne type of host doing intros. So there certainly was no slight intended towards Lizabeth Scott, I can't begin to imagine TCM even thinking along those lines. The scheduling people purposely lined up those films with the intent to pay a tribute to her.

Alas, what you say is your thought or opinion but not fact. They did not have to use any face on camera person, but if they were going to mention anyone it should have been the star who was the common thread of the 7 movies. Instead they mentioned Jane Greer.

That is the fact. That is what they chose to do.

Any assertion to the contrary by TCM will not change that fact.

I would hope that they will make amends and not excuses.

If we want to know what happened and not any opinion about intentions, all we have to do is look at what they did, not what anyone says about what they might have intented or what they did intent.

Actions are actions.

Thanks for sharig your thoughts.

I always enjoyed Vera Miles. A solid actor to say the least. But, Lizabeth Scott was the stuff dreams are made of ---sensual and vulnerable, that throaty voice and devastating laugh. She loved the camera and it loved her back. With better management she could have been a major presence , another Julia Roberts or sexy powerful dame. At that time we tossed the women away when they reached their 30's with few exceptions. Another Vera Miles? You would have to take away her strength, intellect, sensuality, looks, laugh and magnetism..

I have spent a lifetime immersed in b/w movies and rejoiced when TCM came onboard. What a gift. Robert Osborne is a national treasure. Thanks to their work, I have discovered movies I never saw before and did not know existed. Based on all the good work, I would venture that they are a community of peole who love their work. Given that, I still think soemething went horribly wrong. I will not infer that it was a tribute without a spoken word or comment. It was 7 movies and the only mention was Jane Greer if memory serves. No one is perfect but TCM comes damn close. I am just surprised and sorry. We (the fan site) are protectiive of someone who matters deeply to a lot of us. Lizabeth Scott is 91. She is still alive. She still has her intellect and aliveness. She still has that VOICE and that LAUGH. A simple thoughtful mention would have been nice.

It is nice to find so many animated and interested people here talking about the classics and the not so classic but delightful and fun.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings