Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Why the man doesn't have the grace to resign is beyond all comprehension.

What's even scarier than that is, a recent poll indicated that, should a municipal election be held in Toronto tomorrow, Rob Ford would still win!

Interesting poll results. I wonder if the poll asked if they had voted in the previous election since it is my understanding (from Darkblue?), that voter turnout was low. One would think that if someone did NOT vote before but decided to vote this time they would vote for someone else.

Hard to believe there are people out there that would say: 'hey, I didn't care to vote last time, but I have to vote this time to show my support for Rob Ford!".

If you want to find out more about Ford, read this

"11 Things About Rob Ford You Probably Didn't Know":

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/11/16/ford1280.jpg

As for Mayor Ford being a "man of the people" out for the interests of the "little guy" or whatever, it's important to know his family business does $100 million in sales per year:

http://www.decolabels.com/index.htm

Mayor Ford is a wealthy man. And the mayor's brother, Councillor Doug Ford (also involved in the family business) donates his city councillor's salary ($102,608.00 per year) to charity.

You can read more and keep current on this stuff via searching Google...

As for "Ford Nation," hard to believe, but they do exist and are loyal supporters, despite what has happened.

Poll results here (for those who care about polls):

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/poll-72-say-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-s-refusal-to-step-aside-not-acceptable-1.1540732

Note that "Nearly 30 per cent agreed that there is a "left-wing" conspiracy at play." Meaning all the bad things currently happening to Mayor Ford are the fault of "lefties."

And so it goes...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 16, 2013 2:50 PM

A few additions.

There is a division now in Toronto, as was the case during the election that brought in Rob Ford, as to who does and doesn't like the mayor.

Essentially, Ford Nation, that hardcore support group for Ford, is located in the suburbs, in Etobicoke (Ford's home) as well as Scarboro, which loves the man because he keeps pushing for that region getting subways. The downtown core of Toronto, which includes the city hall where most of Ford's quotes for the media are caught, has little to no use for the man.

Ford Nation in the suburbs celebrates Ford because he is "one of them," not some downtown elitist latte drinking college professor, or media type that has always been part of Toronto's "ruling class." In their steadfast refusal to disown Ford, there is a lot of blinkered thinking taking place among his core of supporters, people busy convincing themselves that they made the correct pick in voting for Ford.

In spite of the fact that he is a millionaire (due to a family business started by his father and expanded by his two brothers), Ford presents himself as a common man. And that's where a strong bond and identification takes place with his supporters. That, plus, of course, the fact that he is a politician who hates increasing taxes.

He's a heavy drinking, heavy eating, football loving, largely inarticulate guy, also into professional wrestling (having just arm wrestled Hulk Hogan in front of the media a few months ago). He is also crude, inclined towards foul and sexist language, homophobic and, since Ford brought his wife into the media glare last week by having her standing as a prop behind him, there is now strong talk of possible spousal abuse in the past (based on an incident that the media previously wasn't willing to discuss).

It's truly dispiriting that this man is mayor of Toronto and does not have the grace to resign or, at least, temporarily step down in order to seek help for his obvious addiction(s?). What's even more dispiriting to me is that block of "common man" voters that continue to back him, though latest polls indicate that he is beginning to take a hit there. That means little, though, for an election that's a year away.

>Note that "Nearly 30 per cent agreed that there is a "left-wing" conspiracy at play." Meaning all the bad things currently happening to Mayor Ford are the fault of "lefties."

Yeah, well how do YOU know the ghost of Vladimir Lenin didn't spur poor ol' Rob to smoke that crack, HUH?! LOL

(...yep RM, it's similar to that other age old excuse that "Hollywood ruined my kid's brain", isn't it?!) ;)

>Essentially, Ford Nation, that hardcore support group for Ford, is located in the suburbs, in Etobicoke (Ford's home) as well as Scarboro, which loves the man because he keeps pushing for that region getting subways.

Well Tom, if poor ol' "put-upon" Rob stays the mayor and gets that subways built hopefully he'll stick to that whole "channeling Mussolini" thing and at least make sure THOSE "trains will run on-time" TOO, eh?! ;)

>It's truly dispiriting that this man is mayor of Toronto and does not have the grace to resign or, at least, temporarily step down in order to seek help for his obvious addiction(s?). What's even more dispiriting to me is that block of "common man" voters that continue to back him, though latest polls indicate that he is beginning to take a hit there. That means little, though, for an election that's a year away.

OR, he can just start telling everyone in those press conferences he likes to give that he's "found Jesus" and that He's forgiven him for all of his transgressions. ;)

That always plays very well with "the common man" TOO, ya know! I mean I can't BEGIN to tell ya how many people I've met over the years "inclined towards foul and sexist language and are homophobic" and who ALSO had a drug and/or alcohol problem but once they "found Jesus" have been helped from using those drugs in excess or not at all.

And, while it ALSO seems to helped decrease or cease their use of "crude and foul language", unfortunately it hasn't seemed to make their "sexist and homophobic" comments any less in volume and frequency, and in fact often seems to have INCREASED those inclinations of theirs.

(...saaay, maybe you've noticed this TOO, eh?!) ;)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Nov 16, 2013 1:38 PM

Rob Ford is many things - a crack-smoking, binge-drinking, potty-mouthed, uncouth simpleton. But to me, Rob Ford is perhaps most importantly a symptom of amalgamation. Since Old Toronto and the surrounding suburbs of Etobicoke, Scarborough, and North York were all placed under the City of Toronto umbrella, a great divide has become increasingly evident.

What suburban voters saw in Ford was someone who was campaigning on the promise of lower taxes and advocating for a minimal role for government. That is what the former city councils in Etobicoke and Scarborough and North York were intended to do. Residents outside the downtown core don't see the need for big government and those folks in the suburbs were upset that their taxes were going up to build downtown subway lines they were never going to use.

I think its time that the province of Ontario, which ultimately has legal authority over all municipalities, recognize the failure of amalgamation. But maybe that's just me.

Well to the credit of New Yorkers they dropped Anthony Weiner but it took them a while. Many were still willing to vote for him after learning of his sexual antics but not after his lies related to them.

So maybe these common folks are staying with Ford because he is so open and honest. I mean when asked if he purchased crack in the last 2 years he said 'yes'!

WHAT?!

Okay, okay, so that was just "slighty" shallow there, but C'MON now. Ya GOTTA admit the dude is "aesthetically challenged", DON'T YA?!

LOL

(...and besides ANYBODY in the public eye and ESPECIALLY one asking for peoples' votes and dumb enough to do what he did DESERVES the freakin' ridicule he received!!!)

I expected more out of a TCM message board than childish comments regarding someone's appearance even if he is a public figure. His looks are relevant to what? Very immature of you. Then you're trying to justify it.

Oh, and to answer THIS question of yours here, Lorry Driver...

>What does all this have to do with Turner Classic Movies?

...not a darn thing as far as I can tell. But don't worry too much about it here, 'cause I'm bettin' this thread will be gone in short older as soon as the Admin's attention is drawn to it.

(...and most likely by somebody such as yourself who evidently doesn't appreciate "absurdist humor"!)

LOL

Well, didn't I just admit to my JOKE being "shallow"???

But don't worry, like I ALSO implied, I ONLY usually make "childish" , superficial and shallow comments like this about people who make childish decisions and then expect people to vote for 'em.

(...yep, that's ME alright...maybe someday I'll be all grow up like you...one can only hope so, huh!) LOL

Btw LD, how'd ya feel about by earlier suggestion to poor ol' "put-upon" Rob Ford and how he could possibly be excused for HIS transgressions?

Did you find any decent and adult "insights" there?

(...or because I showed my "shallow side' with the Anthony W. image and comment, have I totally lost any semblance of credibility in your eyes?)

>I'm glad you did. Most importantly, it must make you feel good. It's always good to be a mensch.

Nah, I still feel like Jack Lemmon did when he was givin' out his apartment key to his corporate higher-ups...and before Jack Kruschen told him to be one o' them there "mensches"!!! ;)

(...now didn't ya like how FINALLY someone in this thread so smoothly referenced a classic movie?...pretty good, EH?!) LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Nov 16, 2013 3:51 PM

Actually, I've read very little of the Rob Ford comments. You did a good thing so of course you have credibility. Believe me, I'm no saint. But yeah, it's all good.