Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jack Webb Sighting

tommyphils31

I was viewing the 1936 Gene Autry western "The Old Corral" a while back, and I noticed something curious that I have been unable to verify from any source. Maybe someone can help me or at least give their opinion.

In the first five minutes of the picture, Irene Manning and Cornelius Keefe are riding on a bus while Gene in a buckboard sings the title song while blocking the road. In the seat behind them, the fellow in the middle with a fedora looks like Jack Webb. I have found no evidence from any filmography listing him in this picture, but I like to think I have a keen eye for these types of things and am certain that it is him. He was an angelino and imdb lists him in an uncredited role in Mervyn Leroy's "Three on a Match" four years earlier, so he was floating around the studios in some fashion. If it is indeed him, he would be 16 years old here.

If anybody has some valid insight on this, it would be appreciated. If nothing else, it would satisfy my curiosity.

>Do we have to watch 45 minutes of the video before we see him?

No. The girl gets onto a bus about 2 or 3 minutes into the film, and the bus scene lasts about 4 or 5 minutes. We can see a guy in a suit and a fedora sitting on the back seat behind her and a man she is talking to, but it doesn't look like Jack Webb to me. They get off the bus 2 or 3 times during their trip, but I don't see Webb among the people who get off the bus.

If young Webb does turn up later in the film, I didn't wach much of it so I don't know.

He was born in 1920, and this film was made in 1936, and the guy in the fedora looks much older than 16.

Maybe tommyphils31 can watch the whole film and look for a 16 year old boy in it who looks like Webb. :)

What tommy might be thinking of is Jack as a boy in a school yard at the beginning of THREE ON A MATCH, in 1932.

IMDb doesn't list an uncredited appearance by Webb in THE OLD CORRAL, and they're usually pretty good at that.

I recently saw THREE ON A MATCH again, but I couldn't spot him as a schoolboy. If IMDb says so, I'll take their word for it.

Another interesting uncredited part by Webb is in THE SCAR, a.k.a. HOLLOW TRIUMPH, where he plays a gangster known as Bullseye.

Hey all, thanks for the interest in this possible, yet unsubstantiated sighting of mine. FredCDobbs has identified the fellow in question. I must admit that I don't see Jack Webb in the face of that guy from the YouTube video. However, it is so grainy that I can't see any distinguishing features on him actually. This is a great disappointment because that is not the experience I had when I viewed the scene in HD. I wish that I had DVRd it now, but I did not expect to see something like this at the time. Most of the evidence is against this being Jack Webb, but I would encourage anyone to give it another shot when it shows up on TCM or Encore Westerns just to be sure. I know I will.

The 16-year-old boy comment was pretty funny Fred. I dig that kind of tongue in cheek. I did watch the rest of the film, and did not see anyone with baggy pants and a hoody. As for Webb, what he looked like at 16 may be surprising. I recently discovered a photo of my father from that period at 17 dressed like the guy in the fedora on the bus and he looked like he was part of Al Capone's mob. It may not be unreasonable to imagine Webb and a couple of high school friends on summer vacation milling around the lot being snagged by a crew member, putting on a suit, and thrown in the back of that bus for a few bucks. With the budget THE OLD CORRAL must have had, paying some teenagers as extras would likely have been met with an attaboy from the studio during the depression. This is all a fun scenario even if it is just speculation or fantasy. Too bad that it is likely no one from that film crew is still alive.

Thanks again for checking this out, and your opinions. Maybe we will revisit this the next time this picture is on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings