Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I could swear I saw that in another movie!

slaytonf

Watching Woman Obsessed (1959, Susan Hayward) the other day on Fox Movie Channel, there was a forest fire at the start. Among the shots of animals fleeing in abject terror were those of a black bear, and a herd of deer. Those I remember from the hunting scene and the musical interlude in The Yearling. Only thing is, The Yearling was an MGM pic, Woman Obsessed was Fox. Now, tonite, watching Soylent Green, when Sol goes home at the end, what shows up at the start of the scenes of glorious nature but a herd of deer against the sky, straight from The Yearling again. At least Soylent is MGM.

Am I going to start seeing this in all the movies I watch?

In "War of The Worlds" (1953) there is a scene where walls are collapsing and most recognized is the entire wall on the right falling. That shot is from the 1944 eruption of Mount Vesuvius and is used in several other films.

23s7rr6.jpg

Here is one someone else found. Same scene but modified in "Transformers 3" (2011). gotta love those gifs. :)

same_scene_in_different_movies_02.gif

The History Channel documentary "Nazi Titanic" (2012) stated that several scenes were used in "A Night To Remember" (1958) taken from the German film.

Here is one of them.

ANTR-NT-01+copy.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Nov 20, 2013 2:48 AM

The other night TCM showed a 1953 Charlton Heston movie, BAD FOR EACH OTHER. Near the end, there was a mining disaster in Heston's old hometown. You could clearly recognize footage from HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY used for the disaster scenes.

Sepiatone

Selling footage from one movie to the makers of another has been going on for almost as long as movies have. Most studios maintain a "stock footage" department that helps producers find just what they're looking for.

It's just more noticeable today because we have almost endless choices of films available to us. In the past, when people only saw them in theaters two films released 20 years apart could use the same footage and nobody would notice. Today, it's very possible both of them would be running back-to-back on TCM some night.

*Today, it's very possible both of them would be running back-to-back on TCM some night.*

That's happened. A few years ago, TCM aired ATLANTIS THE LOST CONTINENT and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND back-to-back. Both featured the often seen footage of molten lava coming down a hillside. I've also seen that footage in TV shows.

Most of the burning lab in GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN shows up in HOUSE OF DRACULA. The latter film features a hissing cat who was stock footage from WEREWOLF OF LONDON.

>That's happened. A few years ago, TCM aired ATLANTIS THE LOST CONTINENT and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND back-to-back. Both featured the often seen footage of molten lava coming down a hillside. I've also seen that footage in TV shows.

I often get so many of these similar films mixed up, and there are many different versions of them: VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, A dozen films with CAPTAIN NEMO, more films of people going to some lost Island or some mountain or hidden valley in South America that still has dinosaurs.

"Earth vs The flying Saucers" (1956) has a scene that is used in other films. It's really the mid air collision of 3 Curtiss RA-25A "Shrike" aircraft near Spokane, Washington, on July 23, 1944 during an airshow. The film was shot by the Paramount Pictures Newsreel crew attending the show.

Use the Zoom in for better view.

Film of the actual accident in 1944

http://www.budgetfilms.com/clip/16494/

"Earth vs The Flying Saucers" (1956)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT1Nx6g7P64

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings