Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Interest In Classic Film-Reasons?

Tikisoo

The first big "retro" trend happened in the 70's, when popular style looked back to the 20's emulating "flapper" clothing & art deco style designs.

In the 70's the general public started discovering the classic stars and because of that interest, the studios realized profits by redistributing their early films.

Secondly, film stars that were still with us were sought out for interviews and retrospectives.

Then MGM compiled clips into THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT collages that were huge hits.

There were many books written about classic film in this time period and most are "picture" books, along with a few star biographies.

In the last decade or so, it seems there has been another big resurgence in the interest in classic film. This time around, it's become more scholarly and production driven (than star or style fueled) as can be seen by the more academic type of books about film published today.

People are calling themselves "film historians" and colleges offer real film history courses, not just fluff. People are more familiar with lesser known vintage films and even seek out the stinkers, mostly for historical context.

Any insights as to why this has happened?

Was TCM (or cable) a big part of that?

Is home viewing video/DVD a contribution?

Is the proliferation of CGI action "franchises" turning off the rest of adult film goers like myself?

I mean really, if anyone had said in 1985 there would be a "cruise ship event that showed old movies" that cost thousands of dollars, no one would believe them.

Opinions, please.

I also think it's a matter of the world changing too much too fast these days, and people like to slow down, as it were, to referrencing a simpler time when things didn't happen so fast. The older, "classic" movies offer a glimpse, no matter how fancified, into that world.

I believe the reasons why people gravitate towards these movies are as varied as the people themselves are.

Sepiatone

>film stars that were still with us were sought out for interviews and retrospectives.

I think that's a big part of it. We had (and still have) performers and technical crew from that era nearing the end of their lives and looking back at some of their work.

In the late 80s and early 90s as my grandparents were in their last years, they would watch AMC all the time. It was more than just nostalgia for them, and for me (since I was being exposed to these films when I went over to their home and watched cable television with them). It was a way for them to glimpse a time when they were young again.

The current young generation will look back on films made in the 2010s thirty and forty years from now and do the same thing. Stars like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt will sit down for retrospectives and attend festivals, even if someone has to push them in a wheelchair to get there. And people will be excited about it.

> The current young generation will look back on films made in the 2010s thirty and forty years from now and do the same thing.

I like to amuse myself with thinking of those "doo-****" specials on PBS.

WILL there be such presentations on PBS 40 or more years from now, where there will be seen a 70-75 year old Jay-Z or Eminem shuffling around the stage, trying to remember all their rap? Will MC Hammer break out an old, moth eaten pair of "Hammer Pants"? Will Justin Timberlake break a hip trying to bring Sexy back?

Only time will tell...

Personally, it's hard for me to imagine some old timer watching a 40 year old copy of BRING IT ON saying, "They don't make 'em like THAT anymore!"

Sepiatone

What is the demographic makeup of those who go on the TCM cruise? E.g. what percent are under the age of 40?

I just read an article about the Top Chef cruise. 20 years ago who would have guessed that a reality cooking contest show would have a cruise. The article noted that today there are many theme based cruises. So I don't know if "old movies" are now trendy, but clearly theme based cruises are.

As an aside: What if, in the future, as a person has just been conceived, their genes could be altered to favor interest in old films (among other historical subjects)? Similar to the film Gattaca, your great grandchildren may be selected to fill "appropriate" positions in their society by way of a gene selection menu. Imagine a whole city dedicated to film history. The city's names would become the description of their occupant's purpose. e.g. "Film City".

or.. "Catfish Pickers.. burg.."

i went too far, didn't i

Oh yeah...suuuuuure, dark. THAT sounds like a whole lot o' "fun" too!

I can see it all now...The ship's entertainment will consist of one continuous showing of that clunker of a movie "The Fountainhead", and where all the Ayn Rand faithful will cheer as one as they watch Vidor's camera zero in on Coop standing proud and tall atop that skyscraper he's buildin'.

(...sorry, I'll pass)

;)

You can go to hedonism for that stuff. On a boat, the clean up would be just too much !

I think for one its those soap operas disguised as vampire movies that have some younger people looking for plots, dialogue and good acting instead of continuous explosions in a film. Or maybe the fact that the classic films are very well made and stand the test of time ?

It seems that no matter the fad, the cream eventually rises to the top. And quality arts will become popular once again. It is a cycle. I just wish it would come around much faster !

@Kid_Dabb

"As an aside: What if, in the future, as a person has just been conceived, their genes could be altered to favor interest in old films (among other historical subjects)? Similar to the film Gattaca, your great grandchildren may be selected to fill "appropriate" positions in their society by way of a gene selection menu. Imagine a whole city dedicated to film history. The city's names would become the description of their occupant's purpose. e.g. "Film City".

or.. "Catfish Pickers.. burg.." "

Yeah...That's...uhhhh....that's gotta' be one of the most... fascinating (?) angles on eugenics I've ever read.

:D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings