Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My guess is Phyllis Kirk.  She was in "House Of Wax" with Vincent Price, and a few years later she co-starred with Peter Lawford in "The Thin Man" TV series.

All correct Miles, Phyllis Kirk, House of Wax starring Vincent Price and The Thin Man tv show with Peter Lawford. Too bad that show is not shown in re-run, loved it when it was first on. Good work, your thread

Thanks, Lav.  My first thought was Julie Adams, who was in "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", but she was not a regular on any fifties TV series.  Phyllis Kirk was my next guess.

Now, this next one should be pretty easy.  I should have thought of it for Valentine's Day.

The roman goddess who was Cupid's mother was the subject of a hit song by a popular young singer in the late fifties.  In the early sixties, her name appeared in the title of another hit song by another young singer, then in the late sixties, her name was again in the title of a hit song, but this time it was by a musical group.  Can you name all three songs and the artists who performed them?   

Has it really been that long since they were big stars?  One YouTube comment for Frankie Avalon's "Venus" is "My grandmother loved that song".  And Shutoo, you had to look up Jimmy Clanton?  Why, one of his movies, "Go, Johnny, Go" was shown on TCM not long ago.  I guarantee that some of our veteran posters remember those songs.  Here is Frankie with Dick Clark in 1959.  Does everyone remember Dick Clark?

Jimmy Clanton had this hit in 1962.

Here is Shocking Blue from 1968.

Apparently musical styles had changed in just a few years.  OK, Shutoo, now that everyone is feeling very old, you get to go next.

• Like 3

Thanks MilesArcher...of course we remember Dick Clark--he's the guy with the Pyramid ​game show, right? B) 

For a change, some questions about people behind the scenes: 

Max Factor was famous for introducing the first makeup for the screen, Supreme Greasepaint in 1914.  Do you know the first head of a studio makeup department?  His career spanned 45 years, and other family members eventually got into the 'business' too.

Speaking of makeup..do you know what film required the longest make-up job ever?  It's not a monster film...but it took 9 people 2 days to perfect the look on just one actor.

Thanks MilesArcher...of course we remember Dick Clark--he's the guy with the Pyramid ​game show, right? B)

For a change, some questions about people behind the scenes:

Max Factor was famous for introducing the first makeup for the screen, Supreme Greasepaint in 1914. Do you know the first head of a studio makeup department? His career spanned 45 years, and other family members eventually got into the 'business' too.

Speaking of makeup..do you know what film required the longest make-up job ever? It's not a monster film...but it took 9 people 2 days to perfect the look on just one actor.

George Westmore was the dean of the Westmore makeup family. He started as the head of the makeup department at Selig and was also at Triangle. He created the fake Mary Pickford curls that she sometimes needed if she was too tired to curl her own.

His son Perc Westmore was the head of Warner Brothers makeup for years and always had Bette Davis looking her best.

For your bonus question I'm just guessing the Elephant Man.

Has it really been that long since they were big stars?  One YouTube comment for Frankie Avalon's "Venus" is "My grandmother loved that song".  And Shutoo, you had to look up Jimmy Clanton?  Why, one of his movies, "Go, Johnny, Go" was shown on TCM not long ago.  I guarantee that some of our veteran posters remember those songs.  Here is Frankie with Dick Clark in 1959.  Does everyone remember Dick Clark?

Jimmy Clanton had this hit in 1962.

Here is Shocking Blue from 1968.

Apparently musical styles had changed in just a few years.  OK, Shutoo, now that everyone is feeling very old, you get to go next.

I think that's GO JIMMY GO.

• Like 1

I think that's GO JIMMY GO.

While Jimmy Clanton had a song called "Go, Jimmy, Go", he actually starred in a 1959 movie called "Go, Johnny, Go", where he was called Johnny Melody.  Ritchie Valens was also in the movie, which was released a few months after his death.  Check out this clip.

We are still waiting for Shutoo to respond to Princess's answer.

• Like 1

George Westmore was the dean of the Westmore makeup family. He started as the head of the makeup department at Selig and was also at Triangle. He created the fake Mary Pickford curls that she sometimes needed if she was too tired to curl her own.

His son Perc Westmore was the head of Warner Brothers makeup for years and always had Bette Davis looking her best.

For your bonus question I'm just guessing the Elephant Man.

Even though dad was doing work for different studios, it was Perc that headed  the first studio department set up exclusively for makeup at First National in 1924, and as you noted, he later went to Warner Bros.  Brother Bud was at Universal, and brother Wally at Paramount.

Part two..your guess makes a lot of sense,but it's not the one

Even though dad was doing work for different studios, it was Perc that headed the first studio department set up exclusively for makeup at First National in 1924, and as you noted, he later went to Warner Bros. Brother Bud was at Universal, and brother Wally at Paramount.

Part two..your guess makes a lot of sense,but it's not the one

First National became part of Warner Brothers in 1928.

Although I hate to use it as a source, but my Wiki Source says that George set up the first Studio makeup Department in 1917 at Selig. And hopfully you must have a better Source than Wiki.LOL

And for the bonus question, Planet of the Apes was the only other choice. Since it's was just a bonus question I'll go on with the next question.

Next--Speaking of retro rock and roll - - it was The Killer himself Jerry Lee Lewis who said rock and roll was killed by all them "Bobby's".

Who is The Killer referring to and can you give the name of at least one hit for each Bobby?

Hint: There were more than two and fewer than a half-dozen.

Hint#2: Frankie Avalon's and Fabian's real names were not Bobby.

I'm surprised that nobody has answered this one yet.  Here are a few guys named Bobby and a hit for each.

Bobby Darin - Splish Splash

Bobby Rydell - Wild One

Bobby Vinton - Roses Are Red

Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby

Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'

I'm not going to post a video of each of them, so I'll just do one.

There's more than two and less than a half dozen.

• Like 1

First National became part of Warner Brothers in 1928.

Although I hate to use it as a source, but my Wiki Source says that George set up the first Studio makeup Department in 1917 at Selig. And hopfully you must have a better Source than Wiki.LOL

And for the bonus question, Planet of the Apes was the only other choice. Since it's was just a bonus question I'll go on with the next question.

Next--Speaking of retro rock and roll - - it was The Killer himself Jerry Lee Lewis who said rock and roll was killed by all them "Bobby's".

Who is The Killer referring to and can you give the name of at least one hit for each Bobby?

Hint: There were more than two and fewer than a half-dozen.

Hint#2: Frankie Avalon's and Fabian's real names were not Bobby.

I would have liked to answer this one, but I didn't see the question.

I'm sorry I took so long but I just got back from a Bobby Rydell/ Bobby Vinton concert.

My favorite Bobby is Bobby Darin because he was the best singer in the Bobby group. And Bobby Darin's Mack the Knife was just about the best 45 ever recorded. BTW-- Bobby Darin's "Live at the Copa" was Lucille Ball's favorite record.

Miles-- it's all yours!

Thanks.  A fifties TV adventure series starred an actor who had made a name for himself in movie serials.  His real life son was also in the cast, as well as a veteran western sidekick to provide comic relief.  Although it was similar to a western, it was not really a western.   It was set in North Africa.  Can you name the show and the star?

Thanks. A fifties TV adventure series starred an actor who had made a name for himself in movie serials. His real life son was also in the cast, as well as a veteran western sidekick to provide comic relief. Although it was similar to a western, it was not really a western. It was set in North Africa. Can you name the show and the star?

I remember this very well; it came on Sunday afternoon. It starred Buster Crabbe and it was Captain Gallant of the Foreign Legion - - and the little boy was called Cuffy-- I don't know why, but I actually remembered this without looking.

Looking up the rest of it the boy was his real son Cullen and the Western comic relief was Fuzzy Knight. But they all seemed to be in North Africa in the French Foreign Legion.

I really liked this show and I had no idea it was the same guy that played Flash Gordon on Saturday morning serials!

Yes, it was Captain Gallant with Buster Crabbe.  In the forties, he made a lot of "B" westerns for a poverty row studio called PRC.  His comical sidekick in all of those movies was Al "Fuzzy" St. John, a former silent movie comic.  When he signed on as Captain Gallant, he asked the producers to get Fuzzy St. John to be on the show.  They got the other "Fuzzy".  The first season featured scenes shot on location in Morocco.  The studio work was done in Italy at a studio owned by Sophia Loren.  The second season was filmed in the desert in Utah.    Here is a clip.

Good work, Princess.  You're up now.   

Classic TV Sponsors--

George Burns and Gracie Allen-- 2 sponsors

The Lawrence Welk Show-- 2 sponsors

I Love Lucy - - 1 sponsor

My Three Sons - - 1st sponsor

An Evening with Fred Astaire-- 1 sponsor

I've Got a Secret -- 1 sponsor

Phil Silvers/ Bilko-- 1 sponsor

Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour--1 sponsor

Please answer each question in its entirety and if you know additional sponsors, please feel free to name them.