Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The failed pilot film was "Little Amy" from 1962.  It starred a little girl named Debbie Megowan.  In very small parts were Jack Albertson as a reporter and Jack Nicholson as a football coach.  It was supposedly based on the "Little Audrey" cartoons and the "Little Lulu" comics.  Nicholson's part is so small that if you blink, you might miss him when you watch this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9YDolSafc

It also featured veteran character actress Cheerio Meredith, who was all over TV in the late fifties and early sixties.

• Like 1

Back in the day, we had several TV shows that featured horses.  Of course, there was "Mr. Ed".  There was also "Fury", which was shown on Saturday mornings and was about a boy (Bobby Diamond) and his adoptive father (Peter Graves), living on a ranch with a horse named Fury.  There was also another show with the horse's name in the title.  It was about a boy and his uncle living on a ranch with a horse and a dog.  It only ran for one season.  The dog was the same dog that was featured in another western series.  Can you name this show about the horse, and can you name the other show where the dog was featured?

Back in the day, we had several TV shows that featured horses.  Of course, there was "Mr. Ed".  There was also "Fury", which was shown on Saturday mornings and was about a boy (Bobby Diamond) and his adoptive father (Peter Graves), living on a ranch with a horse named Fury.  There was also another show with the horse's name in the title.  It was about a boy and his uncle living on a ranch with a horse and a dog.  It only ran for one season.  The dog was the same dog that was featured in another western series.  Can you name this show about the horse, and can you name the other show where the dog was featured?

The Adventures of Champion was the tv show, the dog's name was Blaze and the dog's character name on the show was Rebel the Dog. Blaze was also on the tv show Sky King ???

You got the show, Lavender.  Gene Autry's production company produced the show, which had actually been a radio series in the late forties.  It wasn't the original Champion.  He had passed on some years earlier.  The dog Rebel was played by Blaze, but that was only his professional name.  His real name was J.R. and he was the star of "The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin".  Here is a clip of "The Adventures Of Champion".

Frankie Laine sang the theme song.  Good work, Lavender.  You're next.

There is one word that is relevant here, a ten letter word beginning with "s".

This question has been met with a resounding thud. All the rock artists mentioned were at some point in their careers members of "supergroups".

Open thread.

In the 50's and 60's, many TV western heroes had friends, or "sidekicks" to help them out in times of need   Here is a list of some sidekicks.  Can you name the western hero they helped and the TV show where each of them was featured?

1.  Johnny McKay

2.  Red Connors

3.  Pancho

4.  Dick West

5.  Rowdy Yates

6.  Bernardo

7.  Hunk Marriner

8.  Pat Brady

9.  El Toro

10.  Mingo

11.  Flint McCullough

12.  Pat Buttram

13.  Artemus Gordon

14.  Tonto

15.  Trampas

He is from Duran Duran, and was with the supergroup Power Station.

I bought the record but I have to say that I never had that much interest in Duran Duran as individuals. But they were all right as a group.

My main interest in Power Station was just Robert Palmer.

I saw him perform live in Kansas City just when Addicted To Love was getting hot. it was outdoors and hot but he never took off that Armani jacket. LOL

In the 50's and 60's, many TV western heroes had friends, or "sidekicks" to help them out in times of need Here is a list of some sidekicks. Can you name the western hero they helped and the TV show where each of them was featured?

I was waiting to do this because I can't answer all of them without looking them up. But since I have no intention of looking them up, I'll just have to answer what I can remember from around 1960--or there abouts--

1. Johnny McKay

2. Red Connors

3. Pancho, Leo Carrillo & Cisco Kid, Duncan Renaldo

4. Dick West

5. Rowdy Yates, Clint Eastwood with Gil Favor, Eric Fleming--Rawhide

6. Bernardo, Zorro's mute sidekick with Disney Zorro Guy Williams

7. Hunk Marriner

8. Pat Brady his sidekick was Nellie Bell(a machine not a horse)and they all worked for Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

9. El Toro

10. Mingo--my personal favorite, he was Ed Ames, also a great singer on Daniel Boone with Fess Parker

11. Flint McCullough--the girls' heartthrob was Robert Horton the wagon scout

for the wagonmaster Ward Bond (I liked Charlie Worcester the best cuz he was funny.)

12. Pat Buttram--I think he was with Gene Autry but I never cared for Gene Autry much, but I do like that little Christmas song that he wrote.

13. Artemus Gordon--I liked him better in Mr. Lucky because he spoke French--Ross Martin with Bob Conrad in the Wild Wild West

14. Tonto--the legendary Jay Silverheels with Long Ranger

15. Trampas--I think this was Doug McClure in Laramie or The Virginian I didn't watch them;I watched Bonanza. All I know is they were all on NBC.

Well, that's about as far as my memory is going to take me tonight.

In the 50's and 60's, many TV western heroes had friends, or "sidekicks" to help them out in times of need Here is a list of some sidekicks. Can you name the western hero they helped and the TV show where each of them was featured?

I was waiting to do this because I can't answer all of them without looking them up. But since I have no intention of looking them up, I'll just have to answer what I can remember from around 1960--or there abouts--

1. Johnny McKay

2. Red Connors

3. Pancho, Leo Carrillo & Cisco Kid, Duncan Renaldo

4. Dick West

5. Rowdy Yates, Clint Eastwood with Gil Favor, Eric Fleming--Rawhide

6. Bernardo, Zorro's mute sidekick with Disney Zorro Guy Williams

7. Hunk Marriner

8. Pat Brady his sidekick was Nellie Bell(a machine not a horse)and they all worked for Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

9. El Toro

10. Mingo--my personal favorite, he was Ed Ames, also a great singer on Daniel Boone with Fess Parker

11. Flint McCullough--the girls' heartthrob was Robert Horton the wagon scout

for the wagonmaster Ward Bond (I liked Charlie Worcester the best cuz he was funny.)

12. Pat Buttram--I think he was with Gene Autry but I never cared for Gene Autry much, but I do like that little Christmas song that he wrote.

13. Artemus Gordon--I liked him better in Mr. Lucky because he spoke French--Ross Martin with Bob Conrad in the Wild Wild West

14. Tonto--the legendary Jay Silverheels with Long Ranger

15. Trampas--I think this was Doug McClure in Laramie or The Virginian I didn't watch them;I watched Bonanza. All I know is they were all on NBC.

Well, that's about as far as my memory is going to take me tonight.

Princess, you did very well.  Doug McClure was on "The Virginian" with James Drury in the title role.  There's only five names unsolved.  Perhaps if I give some hints, someone will get them.

1.  Johnny McKay - Maybe I should have said Deputy Johnny McKay.  The show was one of those Warner Bros. late 50's-early 60's westerns.  This actor later was a regular on "Laredo".  Some years later, he had continuing roles on several soap operas.

2.  Red Connors - This actor would be in a 60's sitcom playing a character called Uncle Joe.

4.  Dick West - This fellow, a former child actor, would later star as Buffalo Bill Jr.

7.  Hunk Marriner - This show was based on an old movie that starred Spencer Tracy.  Walter Brennan played Hunk Marriner in the movie.

9.  El Toro - This character was the Mexican friend of the hero.  The actor who played him was not Mexican or Hispanic at all, but he later played a Spanish soldier on Disney's "Zorro".  He was always getting ordered around by Sgt. Garcia in that show.

That's one more for Princess. Only four more to go. They are all from the 1950's. Some are from the early to mid-fifties.

I'll have to throw in my Annie Oakley hat - -That is as far as my nostalgia memory can go.

By the way Gail Davis as Annie Oakley was my favorite Western Star-- and by the way she was a protegé of Gene Autry,there you go.

BTW--You forgot to mention Tag--he was her sidekick and brother.

Right on both counts, Shutoo.  And Princess, I considered "Annie Oakley" as well as several other shows, but I decided to limit the list to fifteen.  

As Princess has noted, Gene Autry had a close association with Gail Davis.  She had been his leading lady in quite a few episodes of his TV series, as well as several of his movies made in the early fifties.  It was Gene's production company that produced "Annie Oakley", as well as several other shows.  One of those shows was "The Range Rider" which starred Jock Mahoney, and former child actor Dick Jones played the young sidekick, Dick West.  As a child, Dick Jones had been a trick rider in Hoot Gibson's rodeo.  He was in many movies, including "The Black Legion", where he played Humphrey Bogart's son.  He was in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", and he was the voice of Walt Disney's "Pinocchio".  Like Gail Davis, he was a frequent guest in Gene's TV series and movies.  After "The Range Rider" Gene cast him in "Buffalo Bill Jr."  By the way, I recently posted a question about "The Adventures Of Champion", another of Gene Autry's productions.  It had been a radio series in the late forties.  Yes, a horse had his own radio show.  In the radio series, the young boy's name was Ricky West.  When the show became a TV series in the mid fifties, Gene feared there might be confusion between the names Ricky West and Dick West, so the boy's name was changed to Ricky North.  You might say that Gene decided to go in a different direction.

hqdefault.jpg 

El Toro was the sidekick of Kit Carson in "The Adventures Of Kit Carson".  Bill Williams played Kit and Don Diamond played his Mexican friend.  Diamond was the son of Russian Jews from Brooklyn and he was fluent in Yiddish.  He had a talent for dialects, especially Spanish, and he became a radio actor in the 1940's.  That led to him playing El Toro, and later a Spanish soldier, Corporal Reyes,  on "Zorro"..  Some of you may remember him as Crazy Cat on the sixties series "F Troop".  

4a47158442a3e59e53595eef34b752f8.jpg

Thanks to Princess and Shutoo.  Princess got most of them so she gets the thread.