Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Right on both counts, Shutoo.  And Princess, I considered "Annie Oakley" as well as several other shows, but I decided to limit the list to fifteen.  

As Princess has noted, Gene Autry had a close association with Gail Davis.  She had been his leading lady in quite a few episodes of his TV series, as well as several of his movies made in the early fifties.  It was Gene's production company that produced "Annie Oakley", as well as several other shows.  One of those shows was "The Range Rider" which starred Jock Mahoney, and former child actor Dick Jones played the young sidekick, Dick West.  As a child, Dick Jones had been a trick rider in Hoot Gibson's rodeo.  He was in many movies, including "The Black Legion", where he played Humphrey Bogart's son.  He was in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", and he was the voice of Walt Disney's "Pinocchio".  Like Gail Davis, he was a frequent guest in Gene's TV series and movies.  After "The Range Rider" Gene cast him in "Buffalo Bill Jr."  By the way, I recently posted a question about "The Adventures Of Champion", another of Gene Autry's productions.  It had been a radio series in the late forties.  Yes, a horse had his own radio show.  In the radio series, the young boy's name was Ricky West.  When the show became a TV series in the mid fifties, Gene feared there might be confusion between the names Ricky West and Dick West, so the boy's name was changed to Ricky North.  You might say that Gene decided to go in a different direction.

hqdefault.jpg

El Toro was the sidekick of Kit Carson in "The Adventures Of Kit Carson".  Bill Williams played Kit and Don Diamond played his Mexican friend.  Diamond was the son of Russian Jews from Brooklyn and he was fluent in Yiddish.  He had a talent for dialects, especially Spanish, and he became a radio actor in the 1940's.  That led to him playing El Toro, and later a Spanish soldier, Corporal Reyes,  on "Zorro"..  Some of you may remember him as Crazy Cat on the sixties series "F Troop".  

4a47158442a3e59e53595eef34b752f8.jpg

Thanks to Princess and Shutoo.  Princess got most of them so she gets the thread.

In spinning class yesterday, the instructor started off the class with an unusual choice, Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle Again". Get it?

In spinning class yesterday, the instructor started off the class with an unusual choice, Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle Again". Get it?

Well then DGF, this should make you feel right at home.

Princess, it's still your turn.

This post World War II hit song was featured in a comedy and nominated for an Academy Award. The movie was the last movie acting role for a male movie star who had been top Hollywood box office in the 1930's.

Please name the song, the singer, the movie, and the male movie star, who ended his movie acting career with this film.

This post World War II hit song was featured in a comedy and nominated for an Academy Award. The movie was the last movie acting role for a male movie star who had been top Hollywood box office in the 1930's.

Please name the song, the singer, the movie, and the male movie star, who ended his movie acting career with this film.

"It's a Most Unusual Day". Jane Powell. A DATE WITH JUDY. Wallace Beery.

"It's a Most Unusual Day". Jane Powell. A DATE WITH JUDY. Wallace Beery.

That's a great song-- especially if you have the Andy Williams recording of it, which is on his great Days of Wine and Roses album. It's A Most Unusual Day is the first song on the B-side.

However, I've been unable to verify that it was ever nominated for an Academy Award. Do you have a source you can give us for this information?

That's a great song-- especially if you have the Andy Williams recording of it, which is on his great Days of Wine and Roses album. It's A Most Unusual Day is the first song on the B-side.

However, I've been unable to verify that it was ever nominated for an Academy Award. Do you have a source you can give us for this information?

I didn't look it up. The answer seemed to fit so well, so I assumed that was the one.

I think this may be past the 'post war' period you're looking for, but I'll guess the song Hold My Hand from Susan Slept Here​...because it was Dick Powell's last film (had to look up the lyrics to refresh my memory although I've seen the film at least twice..didn't remember the song)

• Like 1

I think this may be past the 'post war' period you're looking for, but I'll guess the song Hold My Hand from Susan Slept Here​...because it was Dick Powell's last film (had to look up the lyrics to refresh my memory although I've seen the film at least twice..didn't remember the song)

I really love this movie for so many different reasons and I can remember the song vaguely from hearing it on the radio. That was a terrific way to promote a record in a movie at that time.

Don Cornell was the singer of Hold My Hand. Even though this was Dick Powell last film, he went on to act many more times on television.

And in the dream sequence he actually did some dancing, reminiscent of his musical comedy beginnings, one last time.

Being a troubled Hollywood writer, was a harbinger for his future as an off-screen Hollywood professional--recreating himself as a producer and director of television.

Shutoo, great job--It's all yours!

The studio had high hopes for this biopic--a top star was slated for the lead, and an Oscar winning director was signed.  No expense was spared:  the lead wore over 125 different outfits, 185 sets were built, and over 9,800 extras were used.  It didn't pay off--it was a financial disaster.

Two questions about this expensive bomb:

1.  It was pulled from theaters, an hour was cut, and re-issued with a new title...do you know it?  (It now is listed under it's original title)

2.  One of the supporting actors, a celeb offspring, played his real-life famous godfather in the film...know him?

The studio had high hopes for this biopic--a top star was slated for the lead, and an Oscar winning director was signed.  No expense was spared:  the lead wore over 125 different outfits, 185 sets were built, and over 9,800 extras were used.  It didn't pay off--it was a financial disaster.

Two questions about this expensive bomb:

1.  It was pulled from theaters, an hour was cut, and re-issued with a new title...do you know it?  (It now is listed under it's original title)

2.  One of the supporting actors, a celeb offspring, played his real-life famous godfather in the film...know him?

IMDB doesn't classify this as a 'musical' (biography/comedy/drama)  but there are 21 songs on the soundtrack,the lead sings on the majority

IMDB doesn't classify this as a 'musical' (biography/comedy/drama) but there are 21 songs on the soundtrack,the lead sings on the majority

I think this guess is as good as any - - are you talking about Star!--a biography of Gertrude Lawrence starring Julie Andrews with Raymond Massey's son, Daniel Massey, as a Noel Coward.

American audiences knew nothing about Gertrude Lawrence - - she was a star on Broadway and in the London theater.

If she had lived to become a musical comedy variety star on American television, American audience would have known her, as they came to know Julie Andrews before her movie career.

Yes, Star! didn't live up to expectations.  It was pulled, and re-titled ​Those Were the Happy Times

2909cb05d1d1f918939b8ba7b3b52f6c.jpg

(as if that were a better title!).  The studio had hoped for another Sound of Music​, but Richard Zanuck (Fox VP) called it "My Edsel".

Your thread, Princess of Tap! :)

This popular film musical was not released for over a year after production ended due to a legal clause in the film sale contract.

When you name this musical film, can you briefly explain what the clause was all about?

I'm not sure which film musical it was, but the clause must have something to do with the fact that the film's release date could not happen until the Broadway run ended. 

I'm not sure which film musical it was, but the clause must have something to do with the fact that the film's release date could not happen until the Broadway run ended.

That's more or less it - - you have first dibs on taking a stab at the name of the musical.

"Hello Dolly"?

Yes Miles,that's it. I can remember reading in Life Magazine, back in the day, how David Merrick made a big deal about it and refused to let Richard Zanuck and 20th Century Fox off the hook.

In the end Zanuck relented and paid a couple of million dollars to get an early release of late 1969--two years before the release date as the show was still running on Broadway.

Fra and Miles can toss a coin on this one and hopefully one of them will post before the parade passes by--

Yes Miles,that's it. I can remember reading in Life Magazine, back in the day, how David Merrick made a big deal about it and refused to let Richard Zanuck and 20th Century Fox off the hook.

In the end Zanuck relented and paid a couple of million dollars to get an early release of late 1969--two years before the release date as the show was still running on Broadway.

Fra and Miles can toss a coin on this one and hopefully one of them will post before the parade passes by--

Name two legendary 1950s rock and roll pioneers who are still alive.