Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That really was just a wild guess.  Until that 1940's clue, I was thinking about Herb Alpert's theme music from "The Dating Game", but I didn't think it ever became number 1.  I was thinking about the Monkees, but before I looked anything up, the song "Sugar, Sugar" came to mind 

Now, tag lines, catch phrases, jingles, and slogans have all been a part of advertising for many years.  Some of these will need a blank to be filled in.  We may have had some of these previously.  Please identify the product that the phrase is advertising.

1.  Because I'm worth it.

2.  Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

3.  It's _________ and ________, and I helped.

4.  Stop by your local _________ dealer, and tell him Groucho sent ya.

5.  Good things happen in a ________, a ________, 65 _________.

6.  Yo Ho Ho for an _________.

7.  We thank you for your support.

8.  Ask the man who owns one.

9.  You can trust your car to the man who wears the star.

10.  __________ is the one beer to have when your having more than one.

11.  And they are mild.

12.  Never had it, never will.

13.  Make a date with Rocket 8.

14.  You get a lot to like.

15.  Does she or doesn't she?

I remember a few:

1. L'Oréal hair products

2.  Almond Joy and Mounds

3.  Shake 'n Bake

9.  Texaco

12.  7 Up (remember the 'You Like it, It Likes You'  bottles?)

15.  Clairol hair color

Thanks, Lavender and Shutoo.  You two got quite a few of them.  However, No. 6 is not the Jolly Green Giant.  It's a line from a cookie commercial.  No. 5 and No. 8 are both ads for cars.  No. 5 should be revised to "Wouldn't you really rather have a __________, a __________, 65 _________?"   Let's see of anyone can solve them.   In the meantime, here's that 7-UP commercial:

Yes, lavender.  "Yo Ho Ho For an Oreo" was a popular slogan in the sixties.  Nabisco also had "I'll Fly To The Moon For A Lorna Doone", as well as "You're Darn Tootin', I Like Fig Newton".  

Here's that Buick jingle:from 1965:

I'll give you all the last one.  "Ask The Man Who Owns One" was the advertising slogan for Packard for more than fifty years, from the early 1900's to the 1950's.

packard.jpg

AskTheMan1.jpg

ask_the_man_who_owns_one_by_haafasst-d3c

Apparently, Packard went the way of the Desoto.

Good work, Lavender, and thank you Shutoo for playing.  Lavender got more so she gets the thread.

Thanks Miles. I didn't remember the Oreo one but figured it rhymed. Of course I remember Lorna Doone and the Fig Newton jingles. After thinking about it, I remembered the Buick jingle.

next

This actor and actress played father and daughter on a popular tv show in the late 50's into the 60's.

They also played father and daughter in a film with a very famous star. Another actor who had a recurring role in the tv show as the daughter's boyfriend, also appeared in the film ..

Please tell us the names of the actor and actress who played the father and daughter on the tv show and film and the actor who played the boyfriend of the daughter in the tv show and appeared in the film with them. Please also name the tv show and the film all 3 appeared in together  ?????

The actor who played the recurring role as the boyfriend of the daughter on the tv  show appeared in another film (not the '60's the film the original question mentions)  and that was a very famous 1940's film with the actress who played the mother and the wife  on the tv show. He played one of her sons in the film. Extra credit added to the original question if the name of that film is given

edited by me 

( hope all this isn't too confusing )

It's not all that confusing, Lavender.  Carl Betz and Shelley Fabares played father and daughter on "The Donna Reed Show".  They also played father and daughter in the movie "Spinout" with Elvis Presley in 1966.  Jimmy Hawkins, who played Shelley's sometime boyfriend on "The Donna Reed Show", also appeared in "Spinout".  He had played one of the children of Donna Reed and James Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" in 1946.  By the way, Jimmy Hawkins and Shelley Fabares also appeared with Elvis in the movie "Girl Happy" in 1965.  Jimmy and Shelley also appeared together in an episode of "Annie Oakley" way back in 1955.  Check out this short clip.

Shelley left "The Donna Reed Show" in 1963, but she came back from time to time.  In this next clip, she is reunited with Jimmy.

Did I get the extra credit?

Miles you definitely get the extra credit. I was going to use the Girl Happy info as my next clue. It was not included in the original question since Carl Betz was not in that film with Shelley as her father and the father daughter relationship in The Donna Reed Show and Spinout was what I was after, besides the Jimmy Hawkins connection. Glad the question wasn't confusing, Good Work, your thread.

A movie series about a teenage girl was turned into a TV series in the 60's.  The actress who played the girl in the TV series did not play the role in the movies, but an actor who played the girl's father in one of the movies, was cast as the father in the TV series.  Can you name the series, the TV actress, and the actor who played her father?  

A movie series about a teenage girl was turned into a TV series in the 60's.  The actress who played the girl in the TV series did not play the role in the movies, but an actor who played the girl's father in one of the movies, was cast as the father in the TV series.  Can you name the series, the TV actress, and the actor who played her father?  

Don Porter played Russell Lawrence, Gidget's dad in the film  Gidget Goes to Rome ( Cindy Carol was Gidget in that film)

Don Porter also played Russell Lawrence in the TV Show Gidget, Sally Field played Gidget in the tv show

That's correct, Lavender.  Prior to the TV series, there had been three Gidget theatrical movies, with James Darren in each of them as Moondoggie.   

"Gidget"(1959) with Sandra Dee and Arthur O'Connell 

"Gidget Goes Hawaiian"(1961) with Deborah Walley and Carl Reiner

"Gidget Goes To Rome"(1963) with Cindy Carol and Don Porter

51hyIWD3s-L.jpg

There were several made for TV Gidget movies and even an eighties TV series called "The New Gidget"

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next.

Thanks Miles

This actress was very popular and best known for her tv work although she did appear in a few films. She was under contract to one studio. She was offered a role in a movie and the head of the studio she was under contract to gave permission for the actress to make a film with one stipulation that had to do with her wardrobe in the film. The film was a '60's film.

Actress, the head of the studio and what was the stipulation that the head of the studio made ???

If I remember correctly, it's Annette Funicello.  She was under contract to Walt Disney when she was offered the female lead in "Beach Party" for American International.  Walt said she could do the movie under the condition that she not appear in a bikini.  

If I remember correctly, it's Annette Funicello.  She was under contract to Walt Disney when she was offered the female lead in "Beach Party" for American International.  Walt said she could do the movie under the condition that she not appear in a bikini.  

Correct Miles. Walt said she could do the movie if she wore a one piece bathing suit she agreed to his terms. I believe that when Annette appeared in the Beach movies that followed Beach Party she did wear 2 piece bathing suits.It's your turn again  :)

Thinking about Walt Disney and Annette, one automatically recalls "The Mickey Mouse Club".  The head mouseketeer was Jimmie Dodd, who had been an actor in several movies in the 1940's.  He was also a talented singer, musician, and songwriter.  He wrote the opening theme, "The Mickey Mouse March", as well as several other memorable tunes, including each day's special theme.

Can you tell us what the daily theme was for each weekday, Monday through Friday?  Also, can you tell us the name of the closing theme?  Jimmie Dodd wrote that one, too.  You know the words...

"Now it's time to say good-bye to all our company...".

Tues-   Guest Star Day 

Wed-    Anything Can Happen Day

Thurs-  Circus Day

Fri  -   Talent Round-Up Day

Fri is the one I remembered the rest I looked up

The Mickey Mouse Alma Mater Song  - now it's time to say goodbye, to all our company

That's correct, Lavender.  Good work!  All of those theme day songs as well as many others were written by Jimmie Dodd.  The closing theme was indeed called "Alma Mater".  Here it is.

Shutoo got one and Lavender got the rest, so Lavender get's the thread.

Thanks Miles. MMC was a favorite when I was a little girl. It's too bad the show wasn't on for more years.

This actress appeared in an episode of a popular hour long tv series and she got her own tv series because of the role she played in that episode.

She continued playing that character in her own series. Actress, the tv show she appeared in an episode in and the name of her own series ???