Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

Would that be Anne Francis?  She appeared in an episode of "Burke's Law" playing a character named Honey West.  Shortly thereafter, "Honey West" became the title of her own series.  Her co-star, John Ericson, had appeared with her in the 50's movie "Bad Day At Black Rock".  She was also in "Forbidden Planet" in the 50's. 

Would that be Anne Francis?  She appeared in an episode of "Burke's Law" playing a character named Honey West.  Shortly thereafter, "Honey West" became the title of her own series.  Her co-star, John Ericson, had appeared with her in the 50's movie "Bad Day At Black Rock".  She was also in "Forbidden Planet" in the 50's. 

That's exactly who she is, Anne Francis and yes she first appeared in an episode of Burke's Law as the character Honey West. Honey West was a private detective, The show was a first having a female private detective.  Yes the 2 movies given as clues were Bad Day at Black Rock and Forbidden Planet. Too bad Honey West was cancelled, Anne Francis won a Golden Globe for Honey West and was nominated for an Emmy for the show.

Good work Miles, your thread 

In The Golden Age of Television there was a plethora of talent from Hollywood.

--Actors and actresses, who were recreating great movies and the plays that those movies were based on, live on television.

Three of my favorite ones that I saw were:

1) A musical television adaptation of a Judy Garland movie

2) A television adaptation of a comedic play, which was the basis for a hit movie starring Jimmy Stewart

3) A television adaptation of a dramatic play, which was the basis for a hit movie starring Spencer Tracy.

When you identify the TV specials, please also identify the performer who played the lead role in that show, i.e. took the roles of Judy Garland, Jimmy Stewart, and Spencer Tracy respectively.

No. 1  A 1959 TV adaptation of "Meet Me In St. Louis" with Jane Powell playing Judy Garland's role of Esther.  Jane was about thirty when she played this high school girl.  By the way, it was an all-star cast with Myrna Loy and Walter Pidgeon playing the parents, Jeanne Crain as the older sister, and Patty Duke as young Tootie.

No. 2  A 1958 production of "Harvey" with Art Carney in Jimmy Stewart's role of Elwood P. Dowd.

No. 3  A 1965 production of "Inherit The Wind" with Melvyn Douglas in Spencer Tracy's role of Henry Drummond and Ed Begley in Fredric March's role of Matthew Harrison Brady. 

No. 1 A 1959 TV adaptation of "Meet Me In St. Louis" with Jane Powell playing Judy Garland's role of Esther. Jane was about thirty when she played this high school girl. By the way, it was an all-star cast with Myrna Loy and Walter Pidgeon playing the parents, Jeanne Crain as the older sister, and Patty Duke as young Tootie.

No. 2 A 1958 production of "Harvey" with Art Carney in Jimmy Stewart's role of Elwood P. Dowd.

No. 3 A 1965 production of "Inherit The Wind" with Melvyn Douglas in Spencer Tracy's role of Henry Drummond and Ed Begley in Fredric March's role of Matthew Harrison Brady.

Miles-- You never disappoint me!

BTW-- Jane looked great and could really pull that off.

As a kid what really impressed me about Harvey was that Art Carney actually posed with a 6-foot White Rabbit in TV Guide.

Spencer Tracy is Spencer Tracy but there were times, I think, when Ed Begley got the best of Freddie March, no offense to his great image.

Miles, I hope you got to see one of those shows live the first time.

Miles, Go for it!

An early sixties service comedy movie starred an Oscar winner (for another picture) and a young sitcom actor who also had a singing career.  The movie spawned a short lived TV series a few years later.  The TV series starred a veteran character actor known for playing gruff tough guys, and a handsome young actor who guested on a lot of sixties and seventies TV shows, but was probably best known for later hosting a talk show.  The TV series was not "McHale's Navy" or "Ensign O'Toole".  Can you name the show as well as the stars of both the show and the movie?

By the way, there was an actor who appeared in both the movie and the TV series.  For bonus points, can you name him? 

Very good, Shutoo.  Jack Lemmon had just done "Some Like It Hot" and "The Apartment", so he was a hot commodity when he did this film.  Ricky Nelson got to sing one song.  Here it is:

By the way, the movie is set in 1943.  That song was first released in 1947.    

Here are the TV stars:

Kiwi.jpg

And here is Mike Kellin:

dfpy82463_grande.jpeg?v=1463050967

Shutoo, you're up next.  Oh, and hang on to those valuable bonus points.  I know that I've been stockpiling mine for several years now.

Thanks MilesArcher...

Maybe it's because my stomach is growling, but I've been thinking of restaurants--celebrity owned restaurants.  It's common today for actors to invest in the establishments, but maybe you'll be able to guess some of these from days past:

1. This silent actress was known best not for her films, but her 'lifestyle'..in fact, she was the subject of a film decades after her fame--she opened a tea room in NYC.

2.  This actor, best known for his  tv role on a popular sitcom,  owned a restaurant on LA's 'restaurant row', La Cienega Blvd

3.  These two performers, who gained fame in the 50's, were competitors--their eateries were located on Sunset Blvd, and sported their names.

4.  This popular silent-into-talkies actress owned a café near the beach

hint: all the restaurants used their names

Thanks MilesArcher...

Maybe it's because my stomach is growling, but I've been thinking of restaurants--celebrity owned restaurants.  It's common today for actors to invest in the establishments, but maybe you'll be able to guess some of these from days past:

1. This silent actress was known best not for her films, but her 'lifestyle'..in fact, she was the subject of a film decades after her fame--she opened a tea room in NYC.

2.  This actor, best known for his  tv role on a popular sitcom,  owned a restaurant on LA's 'restaurant row', La Cienega Blvd

3.  These two performers, who gained fame in the 50's, were competitors--their eateries were located on Sunset Blvd, and sported their names.

Without looking it up I know 2 of these

2. Alan Hale Jr.

3. Dean Martin had Dino's ( LOL- seen in every episode of 77 Sunset Strip) and Jerry Lewis owned one called Jerry's

?? 

Thanks MilesArcher...

Number 4 is Thelma Todd's Cafe.  She was found dead in the garage on the hill behind it in December, 1935.

12-12-toddt-cafe-12-16-35.jpg

It even had a footbridge over the highway to the beach in Santa Monica.

9306838831_9ac81410f1_z.jpg

thelma-todd-at-her-cafe.jpg

For years it was the home of Paulist Productions, the company the made the TV show "Insight".  In 2014, it was listed for sale for just under eight million dollars.

thelma-todd-cafe-full-view.jpg

lavenderblue--right on both!

The Skipper owned Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel, and was known to drop in frequently to chat with guests

29b0ce1c7e2d296adfb998a141d569e6.jpg

3.  Both Dean and Jerry had eateries sporting their names..Dean was first..wonder if this was just a way of extending the feud..Jerry 'stole' two of Dean's chefs and his maitre'd

1404356030-1.jpg

Thanks MilesArcher for the great shots of Thelma Todd's Café--the cover-up surrounding her death has always interested me.

Still no answer on number one...remember, she was known more for scandal than her stage or screen work...and she was a very famous, recognizable woman in her time. Not only was her story told in a film bio, it was featured in an episode of PBS American Experience

lavenderblue--right on both!

The Skipper owned Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel, and was known to drop in frequently to chat with guests

29b0ce1c7e2d296adfb998a141d569e6.jpg

3.  Both Dean and Jerry had eateries sporting their names..Dean was first..wonder if this was just a way of extending the feud..Jerry 'stole' two of Dean's chefs and his maitre'd

1404356030-1.jpg

Thanks MilesArcher for the great shots of Thelma Todd's Café--the cover-up surrounding her death has always interested me.

Still no answer on number one...remember, she was known more for scandal than her stage or screen work...and she was a very famous, recognizable woman in her time. Not only was her story told in a film bio, it was featured in an episode of PBS American Experience

Maybe Evelyn Nesbit?

Maybe Evelyn Nesbit?

evelynnesbitstearoom.jpg

She's the one!  her 'Evelyn Nesbit's Specialty Shop' was on West 52nd St.,  She lived in the rooms upstairs, and claimed she made the apple pie and ice cream herself.  ​The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing being the fictionalized account of her life, and Murder of the Century ​episode of PBS's American Experience series...she had a handful of film roles...I always find the story surrounding her interesting.

Your thread, lavenderblue!

Thanks Shutoo  :) I agree, her story certainly is very interesting.

next

An Oscar nominated actor was offered the lead role in 2 tv comedies. He turned down the roles. Both shows were big long running hits but eventually he accepted the role in another tv show and that turned out to be a big hit. Who's the guy, the 2 shows he turned down and the one he starred in ????

An Oscar nominated actor was offered the lead role in 2 tv comedies. He turned down the roles. Both shows were big long running hits but eventually he accepted the role in another tv show and that turned out to be a big hit. Who's the guy, the 2 shows he turned down and the one he starred in ????

I believe the guy is Eddie Albert.  He was Oscar nominated for "Roman Holiday" and "The Heartbreak Kid" about nineteen years apart.  He turned down the lead roles in "My Three Sons" and "Mr. Ed".  He eventually accepted to lead role in "Green Acres".

• Like 1

I believe the guy is Eddie Albert.  He was Oscar nominated for "Roman Holiday" and "The Heartbreak Kid" about nineteen years apart.  He turned down the lead roles in "My Three Sons" and "Mr. Ed".  He eventually accepted to lead role in "Green Acres".

Correct Miles, Eddie Albert was offered the role of Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS first before Fred McMurray and turned down the role, he was also offered the role of Wilbur on MR. ED before Alan Young and tuned that role down. He finally accepted the role of Oliver in GREEN ACRES.

I'm glad it all turned out that way, all those roles I think were cast perfectly. Good Work Miles, your thread  :)

Thanks, Lav.  Now, in the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Max Baer Jr. played both Jethro and Jethro's sister, Jethrine.  However, Jethrine's voice was provided by an actress who would later be a regular on another sitcom.  Who was that actress.  For bonus points, who played the mother of Jethro and Jethrine?