Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks, Lav.  Now, in the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Max Baer Jr. played both Jethro and Jethro's sister, Jethrine.  However, Jethrine's voice was provided by an actress who would later be a regular on another sitcom.  Who was that actress.  For bonus points, who played the mother of Jethro and Jethrine?  

Linda Henning provided the voice of Jethrine, she  played Betty Jo on Petticoat Junction. Bea Benaderet played Jethro's and Jethrine's mother on The Beverly Hillbillies

Thanks Miles

Thru out the years this character actress has been seen on classic tv shows as a regular .A very popular comedy in the '50's as a rich society woman, a rich mother in another very popular '60's comedy series and a working woman in another hit '50's-.60's tv show. Actress, and the 3 tv series mentioned in the clues ???? (extra for the names of the characters)

I think that might be Doris Packer.  She played Mrs. Sohmers on "The Burns And Allen Show".  She was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne Sr. on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", and at the same time, she played the elementary school principal, Mrs. Rayburn, on "Leave It To Beaver".

3efac35803c87e5ff9d932daf56f8665.jpg

• Like 1

I think that might be Doris Packer.  She played Mrs. Sohmers on "The Burns And Allen Show".  She was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne Sr. on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", and at the same time, she played the elementary school principal, Mrs. Rayburn, on "Leave It To Beaver".

3efac35803c87e5ff9d932daf56f8665.jpg

Correct Miles, Doris Packer. A very familiar face on classic tv. Doris Packer also played the character Clarice Armitage mother of Milton Armitage ( Warren Beatty)  before she played the character Mrs. Osborne on Dobie. Excellent character actress, Good work Miles, your thread 

Thanks, Lav.  Now, this next one is for the real veterans here.  Liberace once had his own TV series where he featured his brother.  What was the brother's name and what instrument did he play?

Now, the real trivia question.  What popular fifties song mentions Liberace in the lyrics?

Thanks, Lav.  Now, this next one is for the real veterans here.  Liberace once had his own TV series where he featured his brother.  What was the brother's name and what instrument did he play?

Now, the real trivia question.  What popular fifties song mentions Liberace in the lyrics?

George, Liberace's brother played the violin. The song Mr. Sandman mentions Liberace, Vaughn Monroe had a version and

The Cordettes had a version of this hit song.

Very good, Lavender.   Here is a picture of George. 

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, the song was "Mr. Sandman".  "And lots of wavy hair like Liberace".

liberace-3.jpg

Here are The Chordettes with Dick Clark.

In case you want to sing along, here are the lyrics

"(scat "****, ****, ****, ****" 26 bungs in all)

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream (****, ****, ****, ****)
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen (****, ****, ****, ****)
Give him two lips like roses and clover (****, ****, ****, ****)
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****".)

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
Give him the word that I'm not a rover
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****")

Mr. Sandman (male voice: "Yesss?") bring us a dream
Give him a pair of eyes with a "come-hither" gleam
Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci
And lots of wavy hair like Liberace
Mr Sandman, someone to hold (someone to hold)
Would be so peachy before we're too old
So please turn on your magic beam
Mr Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
Mr Sandman, bring us a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****".) "

Good work.  It's your thread now, Lavender.

• Like 1

Thanks Miles. My mom loved Liberace and his tv show. We even had a candelabra on our piano, that's how much my mom loved him. One of my regrets is that my mom never got to see him perform live.

Since we seem to be playing back and forth with each other in this thread Miles, I'll pass and leave the thread open this round so someone else can come up with a challenging question.

THREAD OPEN

• Like 1

Would that be "Arthur Murray's Dance Party"?  The star, or hostess, was Arthur's wife, Kathryn Murray.   Arthur was there, but apparently he was a little camera shy.  I think that the theme music was "Tales From The Vienna Woods" by Johann Strauss.

Your five day deodorant pad could get quite a workout if you did these dances!

• Like 1

Wow, Miles that answer would indeed be correct!

Oh, how I loved to watch Arthur and Katherine Murray Dance, especially to the Tales of the Vienna Woods at the end of the show.

They made it look so easy and like so much fun!

Miles, now you take the next step--

Let's really test your memory.  Match the sponsor with the vintage TV series.

1.  Campbell Soup                                         A.  Milton Berle

2.  Post Sugar Crisp                                       B.  Your Hit Parade

3.  Table Talk Pies                                          C.  Howdy Doody

4.  Texaco                                                      D.  Wild Bill Hickock

5.  Lucky Strike Cigarettes                              E.  I Remember Mama

6.  Milk-Bone                                                  F.  The Range Rider

7.  Maxwell House Coffee                                G.  Lassie

8.  Ovaltine                                                     H.  Roy Rogers

9.  Wonder Bread                                            I.  Captain Midnight

10.  Kellogg's Sugar Pops                                J.  Rin Tin Tin

1.  Campbell Soup                                           Lassie

2.  Post Sugar Crisp                                      . Roy Rodgers

3.  Table Talk Pies                                           The Range Riders

4.  Texaco                                                        Milton Berle

5.  Lucky Strike Cigarettes                              Your Hit Parade

6.  Milk-Bone                                                   Milk Bone

7.  Maxwell House Coffee                             . I Remember Mama

8.  Ovaltine                                                      Captain Midnight

9.  Wonder Bread                                            Howdy Doody

10.  Kellogg's Sugar Pops                           .  Wild Bill Hickok

?????????? some I remember, some are guesses, a couple I looked up

Thanks Miles,. LOL- if you notice Rin Tin Tin isn't anywhere on my list, he's not matched with any other product instead I repeated Milk Bone, so you must know that I meant Rin Tin Tin and Milk Bone to go together. Not sure how that happened. That was the most obvious one out of the bunch.

Next

This legendary talk show host almost became the star of this much loved hit 1960's tv comedy. He was in the running for the role, but the role was given to another actor who had appeared on Broadway and in films. The guy who missed out playing the role and the tv show ??

Carl Reiner had written and starred in a pilot film called "Head Of The Family" in which he played comedy writer Rob Petrie.  The show needed to be recast before CBS would pick it up as a series.  One of the men considered for the lead was Johnny Carson, who was then hosting a game show.  He had once been a comedy writer for Red Skelton.  Dick Van Dyke was appearing on Broadway in "Bye, Bye Birdie" when he got the chance to audition.  He got the part and the show was named "The Dick Van Dyke Show". Of course, Johnny Carson did alright for himself, too.   

Carl Reiner had written and starred in a pilot film called "Head Of The Family" in which he played comedy writer Rob Petrie.  The show needed to be recast before CBS would pick it up as a series.  One of the men considered for the lead was Johnny Carson, who was then hosting a game show.  He had once been a comedy writer for Red Skelton.  Dick Van Dyke was appearing on Broadway in "Bye, Bye Birdie" when he got the chance to audition.  He got the part and the show was named "The Dick Van Dyke Show". Of course, Johnny Carson did alright for himself, too.   

Yes, Johnny Carson very nearly got the role of Rob Petrie! Can't imagine the show with anyone else playing the role of Rob, it was the perfect fit for Dick Van Dyke. How interesting though if Johnny had put all that talent of his into becoming an actor solely.

In the end though, Johnny couldn't have asked for a better career. He will always be legendary and will always be considered iconic and the best talk show host in history. 

Good work Miles, your thread

Thanks, Lav.  In a similar vein, a noted actor from Hollywood's golden age was seriously considered for the lead role as an attorney in a 60's sitcom, but the role went to another veteran actor.  Can you name the show and the two actors?

Thanks, Lav.  In a similar vein, a noted actor from Hollywood's golden age was seriously considered for the lead role as an attorney in a 60's sitcom, but the role went to another veteran actor.  Can you name the show and the two actors?

Green Acres, Don Ameche was offered but turned down the role, the show starred Eddie Albert

That's right, Lavender.  I didn't want to give it away by saying "rural themed sitcom", but you got it anyway.  I suppose someone could write a book, and perhaps someone has, about all of the actors and actresses considered for roles that eventually went to others.  Again, nice job, Lav.  It's your thread again.

Thanks Miles

This actress reprised 2 of her supporting Broadway roles in 2 films. Luckily for her and for us, a very wise man remembering her performances, cast her in his tv show and her role in the tv show is considered iconic. What were the 2 films, the tv show and her role in that hit tv show (extra for the brilliant man who created the tv show) ????????

Would that be Jean Stapleton?  She recreated her Broadway roles in the film versions of "Damn Yankees" and "Bells Are Ringing".  The man who cast her as Edith Bunker on "All In The Family" is Norman Lear.

Jean Stapleton is the one. I figured the brilliant creator of the tv show would help as a  clue. Good thinking Miles, (btw, Lear would cast Stapleton in his film Cold Turkey, overlapping her role as Edith in All In the Family) The film Cold turkey was released in Feb 1971 and All In the Family premiered Jan 1971. You're up Miles