Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

Thanks, Lav.  Jean Stapleton has a brief appearance in the movie "Klute", which was released a few months after "All In The Family" hit the airways.  It was certainly not a comedy, but when I saw it in a theater, when Jean Stapleton appeared, several audience members started to laugh.

Now, recently, I saw an old episode of "Wagon Train" on the Encore Western Channel.  The guest star was Virginia Grey, as a widow who joins the wagon train with her teenage son.  The son was played by a young actor who, just a few years earlier, had starred in a TV series that was based on an old movie about a boy living on a ranch with his parents and his prized horse.  His mother in that show was played by another former 1930's movie star.  Can you name that show, the young actor who played the boy, and the actress who played his mother?  Bonus points if you can name the ranch.  

Thanks, Lav. Jean Stapleton has a brief appearance in the movie "Klute", which was released a few months after "All In The Family" hit the airways. It was certainly not a comedy, but when I saw it in a theater, when Jean Stapleton appeared, several audience members started to laugh.

Now, recently, I saw an old episode of "Wagon Train" on the Encore Western Channel. The guest star was Virginia Grey, as a widow who joins the wagon train with her teenage son. The son was played by a young actor who, just a few years earlier, had starred in a TV series that was based on an old movie about a boy living on a ranch with his parents and his prized horse. His mother in that show was played by another former 1930's movie star. Can you name that show, the young actor who played the boy, and the actress who played his mother? Bonus points if you can name the ranch.

And Flicka was truly a beautiful horse. Johnny Washbook played Ken McLaughlin and his father was the tough as nails Gene Evans; his mother was the soft & Beautiful Anita Louise.

Also it was my first time seeing the great character actor Frank Ferguson, who played a Swedish Ranch Hand Named Gus.

My Friend Flicka was one of the TV staples for baby boomer kids. Everybody watched it along with Fury.

This 1950s classic TV series, geared toward kids, was a mild imitation of and suggested from a critically- acclaimed John Ford movie.

Although the TV show and the movie had different titles, the TV series took place at the same location and place in time as the movie.

Hint: Like Circus Boy or Flicka, this TV series was geared toward the baby boomer kids because it too starred a little boy.

My next guess would be "The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin". The cavalry post was called Fort Apache, which was the name of a John Ford cavalry themed movie.

Rin Tin Tin was real high powered Baby Boomers stuff! I think Rin Tin Tin was the first kitty show that I can remember featuring a kid. My brother actually had the entire Fort Apache Recreation set-- the dog and all. LOL

In fact Lee Aaker, the boy who played Rusty was the first 50s TV child star that I saw on a talk show complaining about child actor issues.

BTW-- the great Warner Brothers character actor Joe Sawyer was also a regular on the show. He had worked with John Ford several times.

Well that's about as far back as I can go--

Now Miles, it's your turn in the Wayback Machine--

Thanks, Princess.  Recently, TCM showed a biopic about a well known singer.  The singer was portrayed in her early years as a rambunctious, somewhat belligerent child by a young actress who would go on to have a major role in a popular sitcom when she became a teenager.  The sitcom would have her facing all of the usual teen problems, much to the chagrin of her guardian.  Before the sitcom, however, she made guest appearances on two of our favorite shows, "Circus Boy" and "The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin".   Can you name this young girl and the popular sitcom that she co-starred in?  Bonus points if you can name the biopic about the singer that she was in.

Thanks, Princess.  Recently, TCM showed a biopic about a well known singer.  The singer was portrayed in her early years as a rambunctious, somewhat belligerent child by a young actress who would go on to have a major role in a popular sitcom when she became a teenager.  The sitcom would have her facing all of the usual teen problems, much to the chagrin of her guardian.  Before the sitcom, however, she made guest appearances on two of our favorite shows, "Circus Boy" and "The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin".   Can you name this young girl and the popular sitcom that she co-starred in?  Bonus points if you can name the biopic about the singer that she was in.

Noreen Corcoran played Grace Moore in So This Is Love, (just watched this film again last week on TCM) Of course her sit com was Bachelor Father . Noreen played Kelly John Forsythe's niece. I was just thinking about Noreen and was going to use her in a retro trivia question, you beat me to it Miles.  :) 

We must be doing that mind reading thing again, Lavender.  Of course, you were correct.  Kathryn Grayson played the adult Grace Moore and the male lead was, believe it or not, Merv Griffin.  Noreen Corcoran was from the acting Corcoran family.  Her sister Donna and brother Kevin were very busy in the fifties and early sixties in movies and TV.

Here is Noreen in a very short clip from "So This Is Love".

And here is an episode of "Bachelor Father".

Lavender, it's your turn once more.  

Thanks Miles.Yes, the Corcoran kids were seen quite a bit during our baby boomer years.Always enjoyed their performances.

Actress had quite a few small roles when she was a youngster. In one of her roles she played the daughter of a couple in a popular musical. Her part was small, seen in the beginning and the end of the film. A few years later, she had a major regular role on a hit tv comedy., The show was long running. When that show ended, she had a role on another hit comedy. Actress and her tv shows and the musical ????

Elinor Donahue played the daughter of Doris Day and Gordon MacRae in Tea for Two;  she was the oldest daughter Betty ('Princess') on Father Knows Best, and went on to be the lady druggist--Ellie Walker--in The Andy Griffith Show.....?

Elinor Donahue played the daughter of Doris Day and Gordon MacRae in Tea for Two;  she was the oldest daughter Betty ('Princess') on Father Knows Best, and went on to be the lady druggist--Ellie Walker--in The Andy Griffith Show.....?

Correct , Elinor Donahue in Father Knows Best and Tea For Two will be shown on TCM later this afternoon. I've read that the Betty Anderson character was based one one of Robert Young's real daughter's.Good work, your thread Shutoo. 

This actress had a handful of film roles, but was known in the 50's for her role on a long running sit-com..in real life, she was married for over 30 years to an Oscar nominated actor with a long career.  Her last name (she didn't use her married name) may seem familiar even if you don't know who she is..her brother was very well known for a long running tv show--but he wasn't an actor.

Do you know the actress, her more famous hubby, and her brother?

This actress had a handful of film roles, but was known in the 50's for her role on a long running sit-com..in real life, she was married for over 30 years to an Oscar nominated actor with a long career.  Her last name (she didn't use her married name) may seem familiar even if you don't know who she is..her brother was very well known for a long running tv show--but he wasn't an actor.

In the sitcom, she played the wife of a school principal.

June Collyer married to Stu Erwin her brother was Bud Collyer known for To Tell the Truth?????

June Collyer married to Stu Erwin her brother was Bud Collyer known for To Tell the Truth?????

She's the one!  I'd never heard of her until I saw an old episode of The Stu Erwin Show (The Trouble With Father)​..she played the wife of her real-life husband.  Also found out Collyer was not their actual name--they both took their mother's maiden name (her father was on the stage). 

Good sleuthing, lavenderblue!  Your thread

Although there are some differences between the two, a form of entertainment was seen on tv in the 60's and has become a very popular pastime around the world., This tv show and the star of the show are credited by some as making this form of entertainment popular. Who's the guy and what was the name of this tv show??

I'll guess that it might be "Mike Stokey's Pantomime Quiz", where a group of celebrities split into two teams and play charades.  It was a nighttime show for a while, then it became a daily game show titled "Stump The Stars".  

Miles, that's an excellent answer. I was thinking of something else, however I like your answer very much and good thinking. I remember the show Stump The Stars, even the theme song and I think I used Stump The Stars a few years back as a Retro question. Good work, your thread  :)

Thanks, Lavender.  Now I'm wondering what you did have in mind.

Here is a bit of "Pantomime Quiz".

Do you remember all of those stars?

Now, before he hosted "The Tonight Show", Johnny Carson hosted a game show, where Ed McMahon was the announcer.  That game show had changed titles at one point.  What was the game show and what was it's original title?  Bonus points if you can name the Saturday kid's show that Ed McMahon was a regular on.

Thanks, Lavender.  Now I'm wondering what you did have in mind.

Here is a bit of "Pantomime Quiz".

Do you remember all of those stars?

Now, before he hosted "The Tonight Show", Johnny Carson hosted a game show, where Ed McMahon was the announcer.  That game show had changed titles at one point.  What was the game show and what was it's original title?  Bonus points if you can name the Saturday kid's show that Ed McMahon was a regular on.

Do You Trust Your Wife? was the original title, then it became Who Do You Trust? ( I remember there was always a joke about should the title have been Who or Whom??) Ed was the clown on the '50 children's show Big Top

Nice work, Lavender.  "Who Do You Trust?" was a daily game show in the style of Groucho's "You Bet Your Life", where the actual quiz was somewhat secondary to Johnny's interview of some quirky contestants.  Here is a clip:

Johnny's show was broadcast from "The Little Theater On 44th Street", which was the same theater that was home to "Dick Clark's Beech-Nut Show" on Saturday nights.  It's now called "The Helen Hayes Theater".

Previously, the show was called "Do You Trust Your Wife?" and featured married couples as contestants.  It was a weekly prime time show and it was hosted by Edgar Bergen.  Here is a vintage clip:

Here's Ed McMahon on the left on "Big Top".

bigtopclowns.jpg

Lavender, you get to go next.