Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

We all remember "The Lawrence Welk show" with Norma Zimmer as "The Champagne Lady".  However, when Welk's TV show started in the fifties, there was a different "Champagne Lady".  Can you name her?  She was eventually let go in a dispute over money, but the rumor was that she was let go for another reason.  Do you know what that rumored reason was? 

We all remember "The Lawrence Welk show" with Norma Zimmer as "The Champagne Lady". However, when Welk's TV show started in the fifties, there was a different "Champagne Lady". Can you name her? She was eventually let go in a dispute over money, but the rumor was that she was let go for another reason. Do you know what that rumored reason was?

Alice Lon-- I can remember reading a great article in TV Guide around I don't know 1958. She was very big. it seems as though the only people who ever left Lawrence and got bigger were the Lennon Sisters and Lynn Anderson.

Everybody else fell at the Wayside.

I don't know for sure, but I heard the same rumor when they let the dancer Cissy go too--

It wasn't Lawrence who fired them, but Mrs. Welk.

Alice Lon is correct, Princess.  I don'r know if Mrs. Welk was behind it or not, but the rumor is that Alice Lon was fired for showing too much leg.  Cissy King was supposedly let go because she wanted a big raise.  Here is a clip of Alice Lon.

Good job, Princess.  You get to go next.

Let's stick with Lawrence Welk--

I can remember very well in the late 50s that after Lawrence Welk, my family didn't turn the channel but also watched the next program.

It was a very popular sitcom, which often also featured some musical interludes.

So we need the show that followed Welk, as well as the Network.

No fair peeking in wiki!

Princess, in those days my mother insisted on watching Perry Como at 8 o'clock and Lawrence Welk at 9.  I think Lawrence was on ABC.  At 10 o'clock, if we were still up, and we usually were, we would switch the channel and watch "Gunsmoke".  Could you please give us a hint about the show you are looking for?

Princess, in those days my mother insisted on watching Perry Como at 8 o'clock and Lawrence Welk at 9. I think Lawrence was on ABC. At 10 o'clock, if we were still up, and we usually were, we would switch the channel and watch "Gunsmoke". Could you please give us a hint about the show you are looking for?

Miles, ABC is correct.

I previously said that the sitcom was very popular and had musical interludes.

Hint: This sitcom was an extremely popular representative of Classic TV and family life in the 1950s.

Princess, it's a little confusing. Remember that Lawrence Welk was on for years and schedules changed from year to year. The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet was on ABC, and it certainly was a family sit-com and had musical interludes ( it was also my fav) The Donna Reed Show was also an ABC family sit-com with occasional musical interludes. 

Make Room For Daddy was a ABC comedy before it switched to CBS  ????????

edited by me

Lav-- I couldn't give the exact dates of the schedule because that would give the show away. So I fudged a bit and said late 50s but my choice was 58- 59.

Lawrence Welk was followed by Ozzie and Harriet and then Donna Reed came next.

When I said this sitcom was representative of the entire genre - - I was talking about Ozzie and Harriet because that show came from radio and had been the earliest and longest running of any family American sitcom. It ran from 1952 to 1966 for 14 seasons.

Plus Ricky Nelson certainly was a big rock and roll star, singing nearly every week long before anyone was doing that in The Donna Reed Show.

Ricky Nelson had a big hit in 1957 with the cover of Fats Domino's I'm Walkin and I bought both records. LOL And that's when Ricky's rock and roll career started.

Shelley Fabares also had a big hit with Johnny Angel but not till 1962.

But I'm sorry for the confusion. I have to plead the same as Miles - - I never watched Donna Reed, but it certainly was a popular show. She was on the cover of TV Guide at least twice during the Run.

Even so Ozzie and Harriet is the best answer to fit all the criteria and you got it.

BTW-- By the way by 1957 Danny Thomas was on CBS, as you noted, and that's the only place I remember watching him. So, I never considered him with this question. Again I'm sorry for the confusion, but you really did sort the whole thing out!

Lav-- I'm walking yes,indeed, it's your turn--

Thanks Princess

My parents loved the Lawrence Welk show and always watched it. I loved Ozzie and Harriet and had a huge crush on Ricky. We watched The Donna Reed Show. I watch the re-runs of Donna for old times sake, although it isn't as funny as I remember.  Wish all the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet were shown.

next

One of the characters on this series that began in the '60's, was introduced to the audience as a 15 year old, however in reality she was in her 20's and a college student when the show was aired. Actress and the show??

A man who became famous for some novelty records in the 1950's was the cousin of a Pulitzer prize winning playwright.  Together they wrote a song that would eventually become a hit for a top female vocalist of the fifties.  Who are the three people and what was the female vocalist's hit song that I referred to?

Here's a hint:  The playwright and his younger singer/song writer cousin were both Americans of Armenian descent.  The younger cousin changed his name for his biggest hit, a novelty record in the fifties.

David Seville - I told The Witch Doctor I Was In Love With You-  William Saroyan was his famous cousin  :D

Kidding for the answer to your question as far as the song they collaborated on, that was 

Come On a My House, Rosemary Clooney had a big hit with that song???????????????

That is correct, Lavender.  David Seville's original name was Ross Bagdasarian.  He and William Saroyan wrote the song while on a 1939 tour with Saroyan's play "The Time Of Your Life", which was later made into a movie with James Cagney.  They recorded the song with Saroyan doing a narrative and Bagdasarian singing in an Armenian dialect.  The song went nowhere.  Years later it resurfaced in an Off-Broadway show called "The Son" around 1950.  That show flopped, but someone brought the song to the attention of Columbia records head Mitch Miller.  He liked it enough to record it and he assigned that task to Rosemary Clooney, who had not yet had a major hit.  She balked at the job, saying that she didn't do novelty songs.  Miller told her that if she refused, her contract would be terminated.  Of course she recorded it and it became a major hit for her. In the 1953 movie, "The Starts Are Singing", that scenario was sort of recreated, with Rosemary Clooney playing the singer, Lloyd Corrigan as Miller, the studio chief, and Ross Bagdasarian as the bandleader.  Here it is:

Rosemary Clooney recounted the story in this 1981 TV appearance.

That grandchild that she referred to is the child of her son Gabriel Ferrer and his wife, singer Debby Boone.

A few years ago I was on one of my frequent trips to the Berkshires in western Massachusetts where I took in a musical version of William Saroyan's "The Human Comedy".  As you know from the 1943 movie, it is certainly not a comedy.  Playing the role of the mother, Mrs. Macauley, was Debby Boone.  I wish I could have stayed around longer, because later that week, Debby was going to do a concert honoring her late mother-in-law, Rosemary Clooney.

Good job, Lavender.  You are next.

Miles, I knew the name David Seville was very familiar to me. If I had just thought about my Alvin and the Chipmunks records, I would have may be had researched that name.

As dumb as that Witch Doctor record may seem today, it was very popular in the 1950s. But I still like Alvin and the Chipmunks, particularly the Christmas song-- Christmas Don't Be Late.

Lav, is still up--

Thanks Miles and yes Princess I also always liked Christmas Don't Be Late

Two decades after this actress appeared in a famous film she got to work with a man she had worked with during the film.This time on an episode of a tv show, she played against type in an episode of the tv show. The actress plays a killer and that was so different than the roles she played in her films. Actress, tv show and that film ???

(extra bonus for the episode)

Teresa Wright and Dan Duryea worked together in "The Little Foxes" in 1941 and "Pride Of The Yankees" in 1942.  In 1964 they appeared in an episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" titled "Three Wives Too Many"..  He plays a bigamist with four wives.  Teresa Wright plays one of the wives who is out to kill the other three.

Yes, Teresa Wright and she does kill the other wives. Not just Dan Duryea, but she worked obviously with Alfred Hitchcock again, the film of course was Shadow of a Doubt.

Good work your thread, btw Teresa did another episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and in that episode it's sort of got the feel of Shadow Of A Doubt since it's a family (she and her husband) and a killer.

We recently had a question about a novelty song.  There were quite a few novelty songs in the 1950's.  Mel Blanc, the man of a thousand voices, actually had a modest hit record with a song featuring the voices of two of his cartoon characters.  Can you name that song, as well as the two characters?