Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

I Taut I Taw an answer from Lavenderblue, and it's correct!  Welcome back, Lav.  I missed you.  Yes, Mel Blanc had a novelty record in the fifties where he did the voices of both Tweety and Sylvester.  Check out this recording:

Thanks, Lav.  I'm glad you're back.  It's your turn now.

is it Jerry Mathers of "Leave It To Beaver" fame?

Correct Miles. Jerry Mathers when he was 5 years old, played the role of little Ricky in the 1953 episode of

I Love Lucy. In the episode, Ricky's Old Girlfriend, Lucy has a dream that takes place over 25 years. Jerry Mathers in the dream sequence is sitting on Lucy's lap in front of a theater begging. She is dreaming that Ricky has left her and Little Ricky for his old girlfriend Carlotta.

Good work Miles, your thread  :)

Well buckaroos, it's time to jog your memory.  Many of our western stars were in movies and TV shows where they lived on a ranch.  I was going to have you name those ranches, but instead, I'll make it a little easier.  I'll list the ranches.  All you have to do is tell us what TV show or western star that ranch is associated with.  Are you ready, pardner?

1.  The Double-R Bar Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Goose Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying Crown Ranch

6.  The Triple R Ranch

7.  The Shiloh Ranch

8.  The Melody Ranch

9.  The Ponderosa

10.  The Barkley Ranch

Bonus Ranches:

11.  The Garrett Ranch

12.  The Sherman Ranch

The last two are not as well known.

Well buckaroos, it's time to jog your memory.  Many of our western stars were in movies and TV shows where they lived on a ranch.  I was going to have you name those ranches, but instead, I'll make it a little easier.  I'll list the ranches.  All you have to do is tell us what TV show or western star that ranch is associated with.  Are you ready, pardner?

1.  The Double-R Bar Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Goose Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying Crown Ranch

6.  The Triple R Ranch

7.  The Shiloh Ranch

8.  The Melody Ranch

9.  The Ponderosa

10.  The Barkley Ranch

Bonus Ranches:

11.  The Garrett Ranch

12.  The Sherman Ranch

The last two are not as well known.

OK. I guess it was too difficult, so now I'll give you the twelve answers.  You just have to match them with the correct ranches.

A.  The Virginian

B.  The Big Valley

C.  Sky King

D.  My Friend Flicka

E.  Hopalong Cassidy

F.  Bonanza

G.  Empire (later Redigo)

H.  The Roy Rogers Show

I.  Laramie

J.  Gene Autry

K.  Spin And Marty (on The Mickey Mouse Club)

L.  Fury

OK. I guess it was too difficult, so now I'll give you the twelve answers.  You just have to match them with the correct ranches.

A.  The Virginian

B.  The Big Valley

C.  Sky King

D.  My Friend Flicka

E.  Hopalong Cassidy

F.  Bonanza

G.  Empire (later Redigo)

H.  The Roy Rogers Show

I.  Laramie

J.  Gene Autry

K.  Spin And Marty (on The Mickey Mouse Club)

L.  Fury

Some I remember, some I looked up

1. Double R Ranch - Roy Rogers

2. Bar 20 - Hopalong Cassidy

3. Broken Wheel - Fury

4. Goose Bar -  My Friend Flicka

5. Flying Crown - Sky King

6. Triple R - Spin and Marty

7.  Shiloh - The Virginian 

8.  Melody - Gene Autry ?

9.  Ponderosa - Bonanza

10. Barkley - The Big Valley

Garrett- Redigo and Empire ??

Sherman - Laramie ?

In the early sixties, there was a comedian who specialized in impersonating President Kennedy.  He guested on many TV shows and he even made a best selling comedy album.  After President Kennedy was assassinated, this comedian's career was never the same.  What was this man's name?

Similarly, when Richard Nixon was running for president in 1968, and even after he became president, there was an impressionist who specialized in imitating him.  Again, after Nixon left office, this comedian was rarely heard from.  Can you name him?  It's not Rich Little.

In the early sixties, there was a comedian who specialized in impersonating President Kennedy. He guested on many TV shows and he even made a best selling comedy album. After President Kennedy was assassinated, this comedian's career was never the same. What was this man's name?

Similarly, when Richard Nixon was running for president in 1968, and even after he became president, there was an impressionist who specialized in imitating him. Again, after Nixon left office, this comedian was rarely heard from. Can you name him? It's not Rich Little.

I had a copy of the First Family album by Vaughn Meader.

Ironically, Vaught Meader also looked a little bit like President Kennedy.

My favorite joke from the album was the Richard Nixon "Dumbwaiter".

When asked about the album, President Kennedy took it all in stride and said that Vaught Meader sounded more like his younger brother Teddy.

Yes, It was Vaughn Meader who impersonated President Kennedy.  Here is a clip:

Princess, you didn't mention the fellow who imitated Nixon.  It was David Frye.  He did other impersonations too, but he was best remembered for Nixon.  Here he is on the Smothers Brothers show in 1967, the year before Nixon ran against Hubert Humphrey.  This should bring back some memories.

Good work, Princess.  You're up next.

• Like 1

The actor referenced lost because of studio politics. Was that the case with Robert Vaughn?

I have no idea.  I only know that Vaughn was Oscar nominated and lost, and became a TV star a few years later.  My second choice would be Eddie Albert, who was nominated for "Roman Holiday", but lost to Frank Sinatra, who was in "From Here to Eternity".  That was in 1953, when Eddie Albert's wife, Margo, was known to be associated with some people who were suspected of having ties to the communist party.  That was during the McCarthy era and the "Red Scare" that left many Hollywood veterans black-listed.  Although Eddie Albert was on several TV shows in the fifties, he wouldn't become the star of "Green Acres" until 1965.

Princess, if your answer is neither Robert Vaughn or Eddie Albert, then I'm out of guesses.

I have no idea. I only know that Vaughn was Oscar nominated and lost, and became a TV star a few years later. My second choice would be Eddie Albert, who was nominated for "Roman Holiday", but lost to Frank Sinatra, who was in "From Here to Eternity". That was in 1953, when Eddie Albert's wife, Margo, was known to be associated with some people who were suspected of having ties to the communist party. That was during the McCarthy era and the "Red Scare" that left many Hollywood veterans black-listed. Although Eddie Albert was on several TV shows in the fifties, he wouldn't become the star of "Green Acres" until 1965.

Princess, if your answer is neither Robert Vaughn or Eddie Albert, then I'm out of guesses.

Miles, I've always wondered why Eddie Albert wasn't recognized for that great performance in Roman Holiday.

He wasn't the actor I was thinking of, but your answer fits the criteria and I learned something from your research. Thanks.

Miles, as always, it's a pleasure to say you're up--

Now I'm wondering who you had in mind, Princess.

Now, Here are photos of actors and actresses who played friends or acquaintances of the stars on some 50's and 60's TV shows.  Can you name them?  Can you also tell us the show they were on and the character they played?

1.  f5f9fb0bce33929249a998c8414e0115--ruby-k

2.   Tommy.jpg

3.   Margaret-1st_season.jpg.opt287x242o0%2C0

4.  whiteyinthesoup.jpg

5.  570b51244f7e788e84dd2b1a0058fa62.jpg

6.  MV5BMTY0MzMwNDU1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMw

7.   Skip%2BYoung.jpg

8.   hqdefault.jpg

9.   Sheila+James.jpg

10.   hqdefault.jpg

Well, I know the 'Beaver' buddies...

4. Stanley Fafara who playe Whitey Whitney

5. Stephen Talbot who was Gilbert ..,he had different last names I think

6. Jeri Weil, who was Judy Hensler...everyone's favorite tattletale

but no Larry Mondello?..Rusty Stevens (whose father was always away..)

d883475775356366609ba6c0c5be62f3.jpg

• Like 1

1, Lassie, Jeff's best friend Corky - Joey Vieria

2. Dennis the Menace- Dennis' best friend Tommy- Billy Booth

3. Dennis the Menace, Margaret - Jeanne Russell

7. Ozzie and Harriet- Ricky's friend Wally- Skip Young

8. The Patty Duke Show, Patty's boyfriend Richard - Eddie Applegate

9. Dobbie Gillis- Zelda - Sheila James

Recognized everyone's character name that you asked about but had to look up some of their real names

Well, that's all of them.  I didn't include Larry Mondello because I already had several of Beaver's buddies.  Joey Vieira was actually billed as Donald Keeler, because he was the nephew of Ruby Keeler, but Joey Vieira was his real name.  Thanks to Lavender, Lawrence, and Shutoo.  You were all 100% correct.    Lavender got six of them, so she gets to go next.  By the way, Lavender, do you remember Zelda's pet name for Dobie?

Well, that's all of them.  I didn't include Larry Mondello because I already had several of Beaver's buddies.  Joey Vieira was actually billed as Donald Keeler, because he was the nephew of Ruby Keeler, but Joey Vieira was his real name.  Thanks to Lavender, Lawrence, and Shutoo.  You were all 100% correct.    Lavender got six of them, so she gets to go next.  By the way, Lavender, do you remember Zelda's pet name for Dobie?

Thanks Miles. Zelda called Dobie something like Poopsy I think

2 Oscar nominated actors (for different films, nominated about a decade apart) were cast members in 2 different tv shows. The shows were similar, professions were the same and both shows were on tv during the same years. TV shows, the 2 actors and their character names??? 

edit by me

Thanks Miles. Zelda called Dobie something like Poopsy I think

2 Oscar nominated actors (for different films, nominated about a decade apart) were cast members in 2 different tv shows. The shows were similar, professions were the same and both shows were on tv during the same years. TV shows, the 2 actors and their character names???

edit by me

I always liked and admired Richard Chamberlain as Dr. Kildare,

but I LOVE Vince Edwards as Ben Casey!

Now that we got that out of the way. You're talking about the two most popular shows on TV in the early 60s featuring doctors.

Dr. Kildare was supported by the great Raymond Massey, Dr. Gillespie, who was nominated for Abe Lincoln in Illinois.

The other one was the fabulously esoteric Sam Jaffe, who supported Vince as

Dr. Zorba in Ben Casey.

Jaffe was nominated for his role in Asphalt Jungle, but he is probably better known for two other superbly performed classic roles--

Gunga Din and the High Lama in Frank Capra's Lost Horizon.