Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

I always liked and admired Richard Chamberlain as Dr. Kildare,

but I LOVE Vince Edwards as Ben Casey!

Now that we got that out of the way. You're talking about the two most popular shows on TV in the early 60s featuring doctors.

Dr. Kildare was supported by the great Raymond Massey, Dr. Gillespie, who was nominated for Abe Lincoln in Illinois.

The other one was the fabulously esoteric Sam Jaffe, who supported Vince as

Dr. Zorba in Ben Casey.

Jaffe was nominated for his role in Asphalt Jungle, but he is probably better known for two other superbly performed classic roles--

Gunga Din and the High Lama in Frank Capra's Lost Horizon.

All correct Princess. I agree 100% with everything you answered. Ben Casey was also my favorite. My sister and I would stay up late to watch. Although I also loved Dr. Kildare ( who wouldn't LOVE Richard Chamberlain) the moodiness of Ben Casey was appealing LOL. They were both GREAt shows and I LOVE Sam Jaffe in whatever he was in. What a great actor and by all reports a sweetheart.

Good work, your thread ( ps BOTH shows should be in re-run, if we were in charge, they would be!) LOL

It seems to me that often daughters are more more successful following in their parent's Showbiz footsteps than the sons are.

See how many dutifully talented daughters you can identify, along with their Showbiz parent (s).

1) This beautiful and talented daughter had a breakout guest star appearance role on The Untouchables. She went on to be a big television sitcom star who is now more famous in retrospect than her showbiz parent.

2) This beautiful and talented daughter followed in her parent's footsteps by starring in a very similar type series: a sophisticated drama mystery with comical overtones.

3) This daughter did a lot of television before staring in her own sitcom. She's beautiful. But if you we're familiar with her famed showbiz parent you would automatically realize she had a nose job.

4) This daughter is a very versatile all around performer, but she started out doing comedy on a sitcom starring her famous Showbiz parent.

5) This last beautiful daughter did a lot of big movies before she settled on television in a popular sitcom. She later starred in a dramatic series.

# 2 sounds like Stephanie Zimbalist of Remington Steele fame, daughter of Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.

# 3 sounds like Marlo Thomas, daughter of Danny Thomas.

I'm not sure, but #1 may be Elizabeth Montgomery, daughter of Robert Montgomery.

And #5 may be Candice Bergen, daughter of Edgar Bergen.

I've been gone all day and off the bds. so I haven't seen any of the questions, Lawrence can still have a clean sweep but I'm going to guess #4 is Lucie Arnaz?

Lav, Hi!

Yes of course it's obviously little Lucie. When I prepared this question,

I worried that that one was just too much of a giveaway.

But wasn't it wonderful the way Lucy prepared her children for Show Business, whether she approved of their decision or not.

# 2 sounds like Stephanie Zimbalist of Remington Steele fame, daughter of Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.

# 3 sounds like Marlo Thomas, daughter of Danny Thomas.

I'm not sure, but #1 may be Elizabeth Montgomery, daughter of Robert Montgomery.

And #5 may be Candice Bergen, daughter of Edgar Bergen.

Lawrence, You got 4 out of 5. It's all yours--

The answer was The Veil (1958). It was a syndicated anthology series hosted by and starring Boris Karloff. 10 episodes were filmed before the production company ran into problems and the series was shelved for many years. It was discussed in magazines and books for years, and became a sort of cult TV "Holy Grail". When it was finally released on home video, it proved not to be worthy of all of that fuss, being rather mediocre. Thriller was a lot better!

Open thread.

I don't know if these are what you were looking for, Princess, but they fit the categories.

1) Anthology western series - Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater - Zane Grey

2) Lawyer, Courtroom drama - Perry Mason - Erle Stanley Gardner

3) A boy and his horse - My Friend Flicka - Mary O'Hara

4) A private detective - Mike Hammer - Mickey Spillane

5) A young woman getting married - Father Of The Bride - Edward Streeter

I had to look up the authors for My Friend Flicka and Father Of The Bride.

Princess, I'm waiting to hear from you.

I'm sorry Miles.

I'm having serious personal relationship problems with Verizon. LOL

It looks like you've done a bang-up job on the whole thing.

My mother was in the book of the Month Club and had some of those Perry Mason Mysteries, so that's how I know that name.

In grade school somebody had the O'Hara book on our list to read, so that's how I knew that one.

I learned Mickey Spillane from watching Marty, isn't that funny?

But I actually bought the Streeter book at the library yearly book sale. And it's exactly like the movie, just without all of the little Minnelli touches and montages that so perfectly fitted in.

So as the end of Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater would say --

Maxwell House is good to the last drop.

Miles, You're always right down to the last question, your turn--

This child actress was once in a movie with Bob Hope.  She followed that by being in a movie with Bing Crosby.  Then she became a regular on a popular TV sitcom.  When that ended, so did her show business career.  She left the business for good.  Can you name her as well as the movies and TV series that I referenced?

Apparently, Princess is MIA.  She may be having internet connection problems, so I"ll jump in with one.

In the period from 1957 to 1959 two brothers each starred in a TV series.  One was a western filmed in and around southern California, and the other was an adventure show that was actually filmed in England.

Can you name the two brothers as well as their respective TV shows?