Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

In classic TV there was a series starring a modern teen and a series starring a Roaring Twenties teen. Both teens were girls.

Please identify the series, The girl stars and the theme songs.

Neither show was extremely popular. So this is not a Gidget or a Patty Duke question

The Roaring Twenties show sounds like it might be Margie starring Cynthia Pepper. ( Jeanne Crain played the role in the 40's film) the theme song was the same I think as the film the song Margie ?

The other show, might be KAREN starring Debbie Watson. ?? The Beach Boys sang the theme song Karen ?

The Roaring Twenties show sounds like it might be Margie starring Cynthia Pepper. ( Jeanne Crain played the role in the 40's film) the theme song was the same I think as the film the song Margie ?

The other show, might be KAREN starring Debbie Watson. ?? The Beach Boys sang the theme song Karen ?

Terrific, Lav!

I just loved Cynthia Pepper in Margie. And I think I remember that Dave Willock played her dad; I had just seen him in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? so that was good.

Of course any show starting with the Beach Boys singing had to be a great show and a great opportunity for a Brian Wilson fanatic like myself, even though Brian didn't write the song Karen.

Unfortunately both shows were short-lived.

Lav, it's your turn next to go down memory lane.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:05 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Terrific, Lav!

I just loved Cynthia Pepper in Margie. And I think I remember that Dave Willock played her dad; I had just seen him in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? so that was good.

Of course any show starting with the Beach Boys singing had to be a great show and a great opportunity for a Brian Wilson fanatic like myself, even though Brian didn't write the song Karen.

Unfortunately both shows were short-lived.

Lav, it's your turn next to go down memory lane.

Thanks Princess :)

It's been said that this actress got the supporting role in a multiple winning Oscar film by error. She was not the first choice of the director nor the writer and somehow the director hired this actress by mistake. She did a good job in the supporting role in the film and it's her best known role. She was seen very often on many classic tv shows in the '50's and '60's, not necessarily as a regular cast member, but in guest supporting roles. You may not have paid attention to the name (well maybe you did) but you would definitely recognize her watching classic tv now. She was a beautiful blonde. Actress, film she's best known for and name some of those very popular classic tv shows she was constantly seen on, for extra bonus points ??????

That would be the beautiful Karen Steele.  Her best known movie was "Marty".  Her TV work included appearances on many series, including "Maverick", "The Millionaire', "Wagon Train", "77 Sunset Strip, "Bonanza", and "Perry Mason".

Image result for karen steele imdb Image result for karen steele imdb  

Here she is with Ray Danton in "The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond".

Image result for karen steele imdb 

And they called HIM "Legs"?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That would be the beautiful Karen Steele.  Her best known movie was "Marty".  Her TV work included appearances on many series, including "Maverick", "The Millionaire', "Wagon Train", "77 Sunset Strip, "Bonanza", and "Perry Mason".

Image result for karen steele imdb Image result for karen steele imdb  

Here she is with Ray Danton in "The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond".

Image result for karen steele imdb 

And they called HIM "Legs"?

LOL Miles. Yes Karen Steele is the actress. We've seen her so often on classic tv shows but she's never mentioned so I thought about her. She passed away just short of her 58th birthday from cancer.Sad.

Good work Miles, your thread

This man was a big star in silent movies, often playing Latin lover types.

Image result for antonio moreno the searchers 

When he was older, he appeared in a John Wayne western looking like this:

Related image 

Also in that western, as well as several other John Wayne movies, was this man, who was an actor as well as a stunt double for the first man:

Frank McGrath 

He later would be a regular on a long running western TV series.

Can you name the two men, the John Wayne western they both appeared in, and the TV series that the second man was in? 

Coincidentally, both men died in the same year.

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Related image 

Also in that western, as well as several other John Wayne movies, was this man, who was an actor as well as a stunt double for the first man:

Frank McGrath 

Can you name the two men, the John Wayne western they both appeared in, and the TV series that the second man was in? 

Some kids liked the cook Hop Sing on Bonanza and some kids liked the cook Wishbone in Rawhide,

but my favorite western TV series cook always will be Wagon Train's Charlie Wooster.  Frank McGrath, who is in the photo just above, was not only a fine character actor,  but also a professional stuntman for many westerns.  Even as an adult, I think Charlie Wooster was the best thing about Wagon Train-- next to sexy Flint McCullough, AKA Robert Horton. LOL

I'll leave it to a Western Authority to talk about John Wayne movies.

16 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Related image 

Frank McGrath 

Antonio Moreno is the first actor. The film is The Searchers. He's the guy who takes Ethan and Martin to Scar.

Since Princess got here first with the Frank McGrath answer, I think she should have the thread

Yes, oh how I loved that show and Jack Paar with José!

Oh, how Paar and his show was so different from Carson's, just like their personalities. Paar was such an open and warm man that you always felt like maybe you were just intruding a little bit on his privacy. His was the first late night show to invite the National political leaders, like John F Kennedy and Richard Nixon, so that you could see them not just as politicians, but as human beings and get an opportunity to take a look at their social personalities.

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Jose Melis?  He was the bandleader on "The Tonight Show" when Jack Paar was the host.

Image result for jose melis

Miles, Great Job as usual! Your turn--

Thank you, Princess.  

A few days ago, we lost one of the all-time greats in Fats Domino.  One of his biggest hits was "Blueberry Hill".  That song had been a hit quite a few years earlier for one of the big bands of the swing era.  Can you name the band,  and their vocalist, who recorded "Blueberry Hill"?

No guesses after all this time?  I'll give you the answer.  The song was a hit for Glenn Miller and his orchestra in 1940.  The vocalist was Ray Eberle, whose brother Bob Eberley sang with Jimmy Dorsey's band.  Here is that recording.

Let's try another question.  A regular on a long running western TV series was once a singer for both the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and The Sons Of The Pioneers.  He also starred in a TV series about skydivers.  Can you name him? 

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

No guesses after all this time?  I'll give you the answer.  The song was a hit for Glenn Miller and his orchestra in 1940.  The vocalist was Ray Eberle, whose brother Bob Eberley sang with Jimmy Dorsey's band.  Here is that recording.

Let's try another question.  A regular on a long running western TV series was once a singer for both the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and The Sons Of The Pioneers.  He also starred in a TV series about skydivers.  Can you name him? 

Ken Curtis as Festus on Gunsmoke and he was in the tv series Ripcord