Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

17 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Sounds like Betty Lynn, best known as Barney's girlfriend on The Andy Griffith Show. I remember her as the younger daughter who ends up being the June Bride (but I didn't think she was bratty...so I may be on the wrong track).  She also had parts in Fox films Cheaper by the Dozen and Apartment for Peggy, and handful of others.

Yes it's Betty Lynn. Her bratty, flirtatious teen role was as the babysitter to Maureen O'Hara's and Robert Young's 3 kids in Sitting Pretty also starring Clifton Webb. It was a great comedy, hilarious film, one of my favorites. It's a FOX film try to watch when it's shown. 

Yes she was Barney's girlfriend Thelma Lou on The Andy Griffith Show. She is still alive, 92 years old.

Good work Shutoo, your thread

Thanks LavenderBlue...I forgot about Sitting Pretty..haven't seen in years, but adding it to my watch list on terrarium.

To get into the 'Holiday spirit'...This actor has nearly 90 film credits, many in crime dramas where he played both detectives and bad guys.  In real life, he had a degree in Theology (but only got to play religious figure twice).  He might have been forgotten if it weren't for a long run on a late 50's tv show.  The Holiday connection?  When he left acting, he bought, and ran, a  Christmas tree farm.

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe that would be Hugh Beaumont.

I believe you're absolutely right!  I saw Beaumont a week ago in a noir-ish B called Money Madness, and was reminded he played a lot of unsavory characters before he was Beaver's dad.

Your thread, MilesArcher!

Thanks.  I had heard that Hugh Beaumont was a minister.  

Now, two of the stars of TV's "Gunsmoke" actually appeared in supporting roles in the same movie several years before "Gunsmoke" was a TV show.  The movie was a post-civil war drama.  Can you name the movie and the two people?  It has been shown on TCM.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:13 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.  I had heard that Hugh Beaumont was a minister.  

Now, two of the stars of TV's "Gunsmoke" actually appeared in supporting roles in the same movie several years before "Gunsmoke" was a TV show.  The movie was a post-civil war drama.  Can you name the movie and the two people?  It has been shown on TCM.

I was waiting for someone to answer but enough time has gone by. Amanda Blake and Jim Arness were both in the cast of Stars In My Crown ???

Thanks Miles :)

Awhile back I asked this question and didn't get the answer I was thinking about, so I'll give it another try.

This man is credited as the inventor of a popular pastime enjoyed by millions around the world. He had a tv show where this was first used as the format of the show.Today professionals who use this form of entertainment credit this guy for being the the one who thought it up. The tv show ran for 3 years and the audience at home could participate in the entertainment. Name of the tv show (extra for the pastime the host is credited with starting) ??

9 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Although I've never done this activity, I know my kids have, I'd bet many on the bds have. It's been popular for years, having a couple of drinks first probably helps :D

let's see--having a couple drinks first helps before this activity...no, couldn't be that...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Sounds like "Sing Along with Mitch" the pastime being a "singalong" (is that a word?). The singer referenced in one of your clues must have been Leslie Uggams.

Correct on Mitch Miller, correct on Leslie. ""Miller is also credited by some with inventing what would come to be known as modern-day karaoke through his Sing Along With Mitch program: The NBC show adopted from the record series of the same name featured Miller conducting an all-male chorus as they sang old pop standards, with Miller encouraging viewers to “just follow the bouncing ball” while the lyrics appeared on the screen. In the first two years of its run, Sing Along With Mitchwas a Top 20 hit." 

Karaoke is the answer to the popular pastime.

Good work Thenryb, Welcome to the boards, your turn to post or pass :)

This actress started on Broadway with great credentials in several musicals directed and choreographed  by artists who would become legendary in MGM musicals in The Arthur Freed Unit.

ironically, this actress became famous, not in musicals but in several classic TV sitcoms.

Also,  in the movies she had several RKO dramas to her credit.

When you identify this actress, please also name one of the classic TV sitcoms she appeared in and one of her movie or Broadway credits.

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actress started on Broadway with great credentials in several musicals directed and choreographed  by artists who would become legendary in MGM musicals in The Arthur Freed Unit.

ironically, this actress became famous, not in musicals but in several classic TV sitcoms.

Also,  in the movies she had several RKO dramas to her credit.

When you identify this actress, please also name one of the classic TV sitcoms she appeared in and one of her movie or Broadway credits.

I'll take a shot with Ann Sothern? Words and Music (a Freed production) the Maisie Series, A Letter To Three Wives for RKO, her tv shows Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, My Mother The Car ??????????????/

7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'll take a shot with Ann Sothern? Words and Music (a Freed production) the Maisie Series, A Letter To Three Wives for RKO, her tv shows Private Secretary, The Ann Sothern Show, My Mother The Car ??????????????/

Ann Sothern probably had a bigger name recognition than the actress I'm thinking of. * But if Ann fits the Broadway criteria, then you've answered the question.

*For Ann to fit all the criteria, she would have been on Broadway in a couple of shows which were directed and/or choreographed by artists who later became fixtures in the MGM Arthur Freed Musical Production Unit.