Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

I was thinking Betty Garrett--several MGM musicals under Freed (On the Town, Take Me Out to the Ball Game), became better known for tv roles as the Bunker's neighbor in All in the Family, and the landlady of Laverne and Shirley.  I'm not sure it's her, because her early Broadway roles aren't really that remarkable..except perhaps in Call Me Mister.

But for the description of the role turned down as a "TV sitcom", Jean Stapleton comes to mind. One Broadway musical would be Damn Yankees, and All in the Family the popular sitcom name. Not sure I would classify Murder she Wrote as a sitcom.

2 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Ok. Then maybe Vivian Vance. Broadway: Horray for What (thanks Google); TV : I love Lucy.

Thenryb-- There's classic TV and then there's real classic TV-- Vivian Vance was certainly a household name but very few people knew very much about her prior career or her life.

When Desi Arnaz hired her he absolutely knew about what a tremendous talent she was and how well experienced she was in acting and musical performance.

Thenryb-- Thanks for hanging in there-- terrific job your turn!

I have to say that you may well not find me particularly interesting or exciting. I am an actor who has appeared in 100 or so films. I was born in Missouri, was moved to Oregon with my family. I became a dentist and moved my dental practice to California and started acting in a community theater there. From there I started getting movie roles and played supporting roles in mostly westerns from the late 30s to the mid 70s.  My wife took over the dental practice.

With that background, who do you suppose I am?

This actor had a noted career on classic TV playing bad guys; some of them were infamous and/or famous.

Eventually he settled into 2 classic TV western series.

Although he was noted for his vast TV work, he managed to garner a few outstanding movie credits.

In addition to acting, he became a critically acclaimed director--albeit, he only directed several films.

When you identify this actor, please also name one of his TV series and one of his movie credits.

Thanks to the second hint and cheating with Google, I think I have the answer. Clu Gulager, who was in The Virginian and also The Last Picture show. I had no clue he had directed anything. If this is correct, then I believe I will pass this thread.

3 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Thanks to the second hint and cheating with Google, I think I have the answer. Clu Gulager, who was in The Virginian and also The Last Picture show. I had no clue he had directed anything. If this is correct, then I believe I will pass this thread.

Thenryb -- All your guesses had a good foundation. But there were so many westerns in  1950s and 60s classic TV that it's hard to decipher all of them out. Your Google research is correct, Good Job.

I first heard of Clu Gulager in 1959 during The Untouchables first season. Clu got rave reviews portraying mobster hitman

Vincent "Mad Dog" Coll. In the early sixties Clu co-starred with Barry Sullivan in The Tall Man. In this TV western series Clu portrayed Billy The Kid.

Thenryb passes--

I now declare this thread is open.

Here's a timely one:

This actor's work spanned over 50 years.  He may be best remembered for his emmy winning tv role, but also won an Oscar.  He played a well known fictional character on a tv anthology series...and played the same character in two made for tv movies.  Know him and this 'repeat' character?

On 12/23/2017 at 2:40 AM, shutoo said:

Here's a timely one:

This actor's work spanned over 50 years.  He may be best remembered for his emmy winning tv role, but also won an Oscar.  He played a well known fictional character on a tv anthology series...and played the same character in two made for tv movies.  Know him and this 'repeat' character?

On 12/23/2017 at 10:06 PM, LawrenceA said:

My first thought was Art Carney and Santa Claus.

Can I get a ruling on my guess?

This science fiction TV show arrived with much fanfare and a huge publicity blitz. Unfortunately, a bad time slot, corny scripts, and a major lawsuit had it canceled after its first season. However, it was revived after one of the first successful letter writing campaigns, only the show's format was changed and there was a major cast overhaul. There was also a title change, although some reruns of the shows kept the original season's title. All of this effort proved pointless, though, when the show was again canceled, this time before even half of a season aired.

So the multiple-part answer I'm looking for is:

1) Name the show, with both the first season title and the second season title.

2) Name the two young male leads from the first season, and the two young male leads from the second season.

3) Name the classic TV star who was in both season 1 and season 2.

Super-hard bonus questions:

1) Name the young actor who was briefly in season two before being replaced. He is an infamous part of TV pop culture of the 1970's.

2) When the show was being reconfigured for the second season, one possible scenario involved time-travel from week-to-week in pursuit of a villain out to change history. This concept was dropped, but the writer liked it so much he tweaked it and developed it into another TV series later in the decade, one that would last many seasons. Name it.

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This science fiction TV show arrived with much fanfare and a huge publicity blitz. Unfortunately, a bad time slot, corny scripts, and a major lawsuit had it canceled after its first season. However, it was revived after one of the first successful letter writing campaigns, only the show's format was changed and there was a major cast overhaul. There was also a title change, although some reruns of the shows kept the original season's title. All of this effort proved pointless, though, when the show was again canceled, this time before even half of a season aired.

So the multiple-part answer I'm looking for is:

1) Name the show, with both the first season title and the second season title.

2) Name the two young male leads from the first season, and the two young male leads from the second season.

3) Name the classic TV star who was in both season 1 and season 2.

Super-hard bonus questions:

1) Name the young actor who was briefly in season two before being replaced. He is an infamous part of TV pop culture of the 1970's.

2) When the show was being reconfigured for the second season, one possible scenario involved time-travel from week-to-week in pursuit of a villain out to change history. This concept was dropped, but the writer liked it so much he tweaked it and developed it into another TV series later in the decade, one that would last many seasons. Name it.

1. Battlestar Galactica - the first season,  Galactica 1980- the 2nd season

2. Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict-1st season   Barry Van Dyke, Kent McCord the 2nd season

3. Lorne Greene was in both shows

Bonus round (LOL)

1. Robbie Rist (Brady Bunch Cousin Oliver) was replaced with James Patrick Stewart

2. Quantium Leap

?????????????????????

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Battlestar Galactica - the first season,  Galactica 1980- the 2nd season

2. Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict-1st season   Barry Van Dyke, Kent McCord the 2nd season

3. Lorne Greene was in both shows

Bonus round (LOL)

1. Robbie Rist (Brady Bunch Cousin Oliver) was replaced with James Patrick Stewart

2. Quantium Leap

?????????????????????

Yes, yes, yes, yes, AND yes!

Great job, lavenderblue. Your thread!