Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

After five days with no guesses, I thought I better give enough of a hint to get a response.  Lavender, you are correct.  Burt played half breed blacksmith Quint Asper on "Gunsmoke" for a few years.  The son that he and Loni adopted was named Quinton Anderson Reynolds.

Lavender, you get to go next.

3 hours ago, shutoo said:

hmmm..Oscar nominated Agnes Moorehead used to do commercials for Coffee Mate--is that edible? ;)

Sorry shutoo,  not thinking about Agnes. the actress I'm thinking about did commercials for a few edible products for the same company

clue- actress was much younger than Agnes, almost 3 decades younger

19 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe it might be Ann Blyth doing commercials for one of Lavenderblue's favorite edible products, Hostess Twinkies.  I noticed they were not referred to as food items.

Remember, freshness never tasted so good!

Correct Miles, Ann Blyth for Hostess Cupcakes, Pies and Twinkees. She made commercials for them acting as a typical housewife. She made these commercials for over a decade. Not so Miles about me and Hostess. Drake's Cakes were my favorite Twinkees never appealed to me ( and you know that, I know you remember Twinkette and your joke was :D)

Good work as usual Miles honey, and Thanks for the video and the laugh, your thread  ;)

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Ah Lavender, what great memories we have of little Miss Spongecake!

In the sixties and seventies, an Oscar nominated actor did a series of TV commercials for another snack food product.  Can you name the actor and the product?  

One of Hollywood's most popular tap dancers, Ruby Keeler, made a fantastic comeback in No No Nanette on Broadway in 1971.

She was supported by a great comedic actor, Jack Gilford, who played her husband.

A couple years later Jack Gilford was Oscar nominated for Best Supporting Actor in Save the Tiger, where he showed his dramatic skills.

Jack had been blacklisted earlier in his career, so his later success was well earned and he also earned money selling Cracker Jacks in TV commercials.

• Like 1

Muchas gracias, Miles.

Latino Ballroom dances were all the rage in the 50s. But one really took popular culture by storm.

There were two popular songs of the day that took advantage of this craze and became very big hits for two legendary singers of the era.

Also there was one Latino bandleader who became very much associated with this craze. He appeared in movies with his Orchestra, but he also composed music for movies. His music has been utilized from the 50's  repeatedly up to the present day in many movies and television shows.

After you identify the two singers and their hit records, you can also identify the Latino band leader and name at least one film that he appeared in and one film that utilized his music as well.

Vamos...

OK, Princess.  I'm going to go out on a limb, and I might be way off-base.  But I'll try.

I'm guessing the dance craze was the mambo.  The two hit records would be "Papa Loves Mambo" by Perry Como, and "Mambo Italiano" by Rosemary Clooney.  I think the band leader might be Xavier Cugar, who appeared in "Holiday in Mexico".

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 11:37 AM, Terrence1 said:

OK, Princess.  I'm going to go out on a limb, and I might be way off-base.  But I'll try.

I'm guessing the dance craze was the mambo.  The two hit records would be "Papa Loves Mambo" by Perry Como, and "Mambo Italiano" by Rosemary Clooney.  I think the band leader might be Xavier Cugar, who appeared in "Holiday in Mexico".

You got most of it right, but you need to look up a Latino Band Leader/ composer by the name of Perez Prado--

He was Cuban born, then later moved to Mexico. He was known as The King of the Mambo.

He had a hit record with his own composition, Patricia, which has been used in two Classic Movies - -

La Dolce Vita and Goodbye Columbus.

Recently his music has been used in The Transformers: The Last Knight and Repo Men.

Perez appeared in a number of Mexican films, including Serenade in Acapulco.

Well, Papa Loves Mambo tonight, ump!

Terrence,  Well Done! Now, it's your turn on the ballroom floor--

32 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

The product being advertised was a butter substitute, if that helps.  

I don't remember her asking people in the street to taste the product but I do remember the Chiffon Margarine commercial It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature ps please answer response in movie trivia thread

On 2/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, Terrence1 said:

These commercials took place in a supermarket.  The actress in question would speak with (supposedly) regular people.  In every case, the person stated that he or she could not tell the difference between the product and real butter.

Tomw will be a week since you posted this clue. Maybe a clue about the actress and or what decade the commercial was in

33 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Tomw will be a week since you posted this clue. Maybe a clue about the actress and or what decade the commercial was in

I have tried to Google this and all I get searching "actress making margarine commercials" is the Chiffon stuff (not nice to fool mother nature). Terrance has really given lots of clues and it seems like the answer would come to mind but apparently not.