Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

LOL Thenryb you haven't been here a really long time, in the past many of us have given a lot more than 3 or 4 clues LOL. Actually there's Chiffon, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and Parkay did a lot of funny commercials many decades ago. Unfortunately, none of us seem to be able to recognize the one in this question, so I agree the answer should probably just be given, besides this question has been hanging around for over 2 weeks and that's a no-no

5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL Thenryb you haven;t been here a really long time, in the past many of us have given a lot more than 3 or 4 clues LOL. Actually there's Chiffon, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and Parkay did a lot of funny commercials many decades ago. Unfortunately, none of us seem to be able to recognize the one in this question, so I agree the answer should probably just be given, besides this question has been hanging around for over 2 weeks and that's a no-no

Oh I know there have been lots of margarine commercials and I have suffered through all of them. I did not describe all of my search efforts but I tried the ones you mentioned as well as others like Imperial and Blue Bonnet. I mentioned Chiffon because I actually found a commercial with Mother Nature talking to some hapless customer in a supermarket.

Just now, Thenryb said:

Oh I know there have been lots of margarine commercials and I have suffered through all of them. I did not describe all of my search efforts but I tried the ones you mentioned as well as others like Imperial and Blue Bonnet. I mentioned Chiffon because I actually found a commercial with Mother Nature talking to some hapless customer in a supermarket.

I already answered the Mother Nature One and it was nixed. Times up on this question, Terrence now has the option of giving the answer or retiring this question for now and reposting it at a later date. Time to free up this thread.

I agree.  This has been going on too long.  The actress was Eve Arden.  It was rather comical, because in every case the person would vow up and down that he or she could not tell the  difference between the butter and the substitute.  Thread open to anyone who wants it.

4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The co-stars of a long running tv show did not get along. She left the series after a few seasons and the character was written out of the show. The actress was known in films before she appeared in the series. Series, actress and the star of the show ???

It was Jean Hagen and Make Room for Daddy AKA The Danny Thomas Show. He disliked her so much he actually killed her off-- in the TV show. LOL

Jean was an outstanding supporting actress in Singin' in the Rain and The Asphalt Jungle.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

It was Jean Hagen and Make Room for Daddy AKA The Danny Thomas Show. He disliked her so much he actually killed her off-- in the TV show. LOL

Jean was an outstanding supporting actress in Singin' in the Rain and The Asphalt Jungle.

Yes and Marjorie Lord became Danny's love interest and then wife on the show. Jean didn't like Danny much either. It's my understanding that Jean hated everything about the show and yes, Danny had her character die! Danny and Jean were definitely not a good match LOL. I agree Jean Hagen was an outstanding supporting actress. Your thread Princess

This actor was one of the pioneers in classic TV in more ways than one,  despite the stereotypes of the era.

But before that he appeared in a plethora of classic films uncredited as a cook or waiter, but the stars were from the A-list:

Cary Grant, Shirley Temple or Carole Lombard.

This actor's future though was to be in classic TV where he Broke Ground as a regular on a popular TV sitcom series.

Somewhere along the way, he also became associated with the Disney touch on classic TV.

When you identify this Baby Boomer favorite, please also name the TV series he was most famous for, as well as one of his film credits.

Could it be Sammee Tong, who played Peter the houseboy on "Bachelor Father"?  He had been in movies since the 1930's.  He played the cook at the Triple R ranch in the "Spin And Marty" series on Disney's "Mickey Mouse Club".  He also played a cook in "Only Angels Have Wings" with Cary Grant.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Sammee Tong, who played Peter the houseboy on "Bachelor Father"?  He had been in movies since the 1930's.  He played the cook at the Triple R ranch in the "Spin And Marty" series on Disney's "Mickey Mouse Club".  He also played a cook in "Only Angels Have Wings" with Cary Grant.

Miles, I knew that you would get it immediately with the Disney connection.

Sammee also appeared in Carole Lombard's Love Before Breakfast, 1936.

He was one of my childhood favorites,  dating back to Spin and Marty.

Well, Miles, It's all yours--

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

An actress who had played Jane in a couple of Tarzan movies, later was a regular on an early sixties sitcom playing a maiden aunt of the series male star.  The sitcom only lasted for one season.  Can you name the actress, as well as the TV series?

This was a cute show and the cast reminded me a little bit of the cast of December Bride.

CBS' Bringing Up Buddy starred Frank Aletter and his two "aunts", Doro Merande and Enid Markey.

Doro was my favorite, but TV Guide had informed me that Enid Markey had been the original Jane in the silent Tarzan movies. I was most impressed.

Yes, Enid Markey played Jane in two Tarzan movies with Elmo Lincoln in 1918.  She was in lots of silent films from 1913 to 1920.  She then gave up making movies to concentrate on stage work.  It wasn't until 1945, some twenty-five years later, that she returned to films.  She may be best remembered by some as Mrs. Mendlebright, Barney's landlady, on "The Andy Griffith Show".  Her last film was "The Boston Strangler" with Tony Curtis in 1968.  Yesterday, February 22nd, was her birthday.

Related image 

image.jpeg.c0e0d19afdb77d8519b7263d82b7532a.jpeg 

Nice work, Princess.  now it's your turn.

image.jpeg

This classic film actor spent  most of his time starring in "B" movies or supporting top actors in "A" movies.

He gave support to both Ronald Coleman and Cary Grant in 2 classic films.

Like so many of the classic actors, he wound up doing a lot of TV from the 1950s through to the 70s.

However, in the sixties he became a semi-regular on a  beloved classic sitcom, where he had to, of course, support the star.

He also starred in a film series.

Late in life he did a career change and was happily married for many years  to a ballet dancer who later became a professional actress.

When you identify this actor, please also name one of those legendary films, his film series and the classic  TV sitcom he was associated with.

I believe it would be John Howard, who worked with Ronald Colman in "Lost Horizon" and with Cary Grant in "The Philadelphia Story".  Even though he was American. he starred as Scotland Yard detective Bulldog Drummond in a series of movies in the thirties.  His wife, Eva Ralf, was a ballet dancer who also acted in a few TV shows in the fifties.  In the sixties, John Howard had a recurring role on the TV sitcom "My Three Sons".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe it would be John Howard, who worked with Ronald Colman in "Lost Horizon" and with Cary Grant in "The Philadelphia Story".  Even though he was American. he starred as Scotland Yard detective Bulldog Drummond in a series of movies in the thirties.  His wife, Eva Ralf, was a ballet dancer who also acted in a few TV shows in the fifties.  In the sixties, John Howard had a recurring role on the TV sitcom "My Three Sons".

Miles, I know you're good but that was not an easy one. LOL

I was a lifelong fan of My Three Sons. One of my favorite episodes was a Jeopardy- type program where the fathers played against the sons.

John Howard and Benson Fong were the two other fathers playing with Fred MacMurray and they just couldn't beat "Their 3 Sons".

So Chip started to feel sorry for them and the kids started missing questions on purpose.

During a break, Steve Douglas /Fred  took Chip aside and told him how he  appreciated the kind gesture, but it was best to play fair and do his best.

For the life of me, I can't remember who actually won that dads vs sons quiz because, after all, winning wasn't the point of that episode.

Three terrific actors working together from the old movies; it was a lot of fun.

Miles, you're up and I bet you do remember who won that dads vs sons quiz...

Princess, I believe that the dads missed the last question and the sons got it, so the sons won.

Now, here are some photos of some folks who were either regulars or frequent guests on a popular long running musical variety show.  Can you identify the people pictured and tell us what show they were all on?

1.  Image result for dorothy collins singer 

2.   Image result for russell arms singer 

3.  Related image 

4.  Image result for snooky lanson singer 

5.  Image result for eileen wilson singer 

6.  Image result for jill corey singer 

7.  Image result for virginia gibson singer 

8.  Image result for tommy leonetti singer 

Those of you of a certain age may recognize their faces.  The show that they were all on was from the 1950's.  They were all singers, although some of them also did some acting.  How many can you name? 

All of the guesses so far have been correct.  However, it's been two days since the last guess, so I'll give you the last one.  #5 is Eileen Wilson.  Here she is with Snooky Lanson and Dorothy Collins.

Related image Sometimes a song would stay on the Hit Parade for many weeks and the producers had to find many ways to introduce it.  I think "Harbor Lights" was the record holder.

Here is a typical episode.  This one is from 1951.  How many of these songs do you remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSQ0AyyZaZ8

Princess identified five photos, so she gets to go next.

Be Happy, Go Lucky!

Miles,  this was a most enjoyable question.

Dorothy Collins was the Lucky Strike Girl--No doubt the queen of the live cigarette commercial. Dorothy was known as the "Sweetheart of Lucky Strike".

Your Hit Parade was my favorite Sat TV show, although your video is a little bit before my time. LOL

Miles, I'll pass and send it back to you for your deliberation. Great job!