Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro Trivia

DownGoesFrazier

On 3/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Miles,  this was a most enjoyable question.

Dorothy Collins was the Lucky Strike Girl--No doubt the queen of the live cigarette commercial. Dorothy was known as the "Sweetheart of Lucky Strike".

Your Hit Parade was my favorite Sat TV show, although your video is a little bit before my time. LOL

Miles, I'll pass and send it back to you for your deliberation. Great job!

Princess, if the clip from 1951 was a bit before your time, maybe this one from 1956, which features Gisele MacKenzie, may bring back memories.

By the way, I believe that Dorothy Collins was married to Your Hit Parade's orchestra leader, Raymond Scott.

In the sixties, Dorothy Collins was a semi-regular, or at least a frequent guest, on another TV series.  It was not a musical or variety series, nor was it a sitcom or drama.  Do you know the show?  She earned a nickname on the new show.  Do you know what that nickname was?

• Thanks 1

Yes, it was "Candid Camera".  Dorothy earned the nickname "Crash Collins" because so many of her appearances involved her with a tricked up car.  In one stunt she asked a gas station attendant to check her oil, and the dipstick was twelve feet long.  Another time she claimed that the engine didn't sound quite right.  When the attendant opened the hood, there was no engine. 

Princess, you get to post next. 

I believe that would be the Canadian team of Wayne And Shuster.  They starred in a summer replacement series for "The Jack Benny Show" in 1961.  It was called "Holiday Lodge".  They played social directors at a posh resort.  I could only find this clip of the opening credits.

On 3/22/2018 at 12:54 AM, MilesArcher said:

Thank you for the compliment, Princess.  I've always thought highly of you, too.

Now, can you name this actor and tell us what sixties TV series that he starred in?

Image result for stephen strimpell 

It only lasted for one season.

Miles, can you give a hint for this one season Wonder?

On a related note, what other short-lived show aired the same season as Mr. Terrific, and seemed to cover the same territory? The star of this other show became better known, at least in TV circles, thanks to a major hit series about 15 years later.

Name the show, the star, and the later hit series.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

On a related note, what other short-lived show aired the same season as Mr. Terrific, and seemed to cover the same territory? The star of this other show became better known, at least in TV circles, thanks to a major hit series about 15 years later.

Name the show, the star, and the later hit series.

Captain Nice, William Daniels and one of my favorite shows of all time St. Elsewhere ??? (St. Elsewhere, I never missed an episode when it was on) -  PS- Arsan passed the trivia thread to you, since you guessed Monty Clift, he got the film and the reason. The trivia thread is yours.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Captain Nice, William Daniels and one of my favorite shows of all time St. Elsewhere ??? (St. Elsewhere, I never missed an episode when it was on) -  PS- Arsan passed the trivia thread to you, since you guessed Monty Clift, he got the film and the reason. The trivia thread is yours.

Yes, yes, and yes! St. Elsewhere is also a personal favorite of mine.

Your thread, lav (and thanks for the heads-up about the other thread)!

Thanks Lawrence :)  

This actor had a very long career and over 350 credits. 
Although he has been in many films, most would know him from his many tv roles. He was a regular in a popular comedy series in the late 50's early 60's, and a co-starring role in a very popular mid 1960's comedy series. Actor and the 2 60's tv shows ??? (although there are more)

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Lawrence :)  

This actor had a very long career and over 350 credits. 
Although he has been in many films, most would know him from his many tv roles. He was a regular in a popular comedy series in the late 50's early 60's, and a co-starring role in a very popular mid 1960's comedy series. Actor and the 2 60's tv shows ??? (although there are more)

I think this is an ambiguous question, which could easily cover a lot of people.

But there's one person that would fit this 2 or 3 times over, so that will be my answer: Lyle Talbot.

1) He has over 330 acting credits

2) I remember him on the Bob Cummings Show--Love That Bob

--Paul Fonda - 21 episodes - - 1955 to 1959

3)  I also remember him a little better with Ozzie and Harriet

Joe et al- 91 episodes--1955-- 1966

4)  I also saw he was listed for Burns and Allen ( I rarely watched this show then.)

--Al Simon-- 7 episodes--1954-1958

5)  December Bride-- I don't remember him here, but I remember the show because my Grandmother watched it. LOL

Bill Monahan, et. al.--6 episodes-- 1954-- 1958 

6) The Beverly Hillbillies-- one of my favorite shows, but I don't remember him at all

Col. And a psychiatrist--4 episodes - -1962--1967

This guy was prolific.

LOL Princess,interesting that considering how "ambiguous" your clues for Lola Albright and Jack Carson were (you admitted you purposely did not reveal much info in your clue) and I made no comment about that, you felt it was necessary to make that comment. Sometimes patience is needed to get more clues before a correct answer is reached. Your answer is incorrect. I wrote that one of his comedy shows was late 50's early 60's. Love That Bob, the show you cited in response was over in 1959 not the early 1960's. I also wrote he had over 350 credits, you wrote Lyle had 330.

Thank You though for doing all that work and since you did put quite a bit of work in your answer here are 3 clues

He was 20 years younger than Lyle Talbot

He had a role in 2 famous mini-series in the 1980's

He is the 2nd lead in the mid 1960's comedy series

How about William Schallert? Was Dobie Gillis's teacher in the late 50's/60s (though he wasn't a regular..), was Patty Duke's dad in the 60's (and his wife played by Jean Byron was also one of Dobie's teachers..); 80's mini series were War and Remembrance and North and South, Book II..I couldn't believe how many credits he had!

Correct Shutoo. William Schallert is the one. He was in 24 episodes of Dobie Gillis as the same character, Dobie's teacher and he played Mr. Lane, Patty Duke's dad in the Patty Duke Show. William Schallert had 386 acting credits. He was such a familiar face on tv. He had a very long and successful career. He really didn't retire, almost worked up to the end of his life. Good work, your thread.

This actress starred in a groundbreaking series in the late 50's, but is probably best known for stepping into the 'mom' role in a long running comedy in the late 60's...she was also the 'mom' of a title character in a popular 80's show. Name the actress, the 3 series..and why the first was 'groundbreaking'.

It sounds like Beverly Garland.  She starred in "Decoy" in the fifties where, she was the first TV actress to star as an undercover police woman.  That was years before "Cagney And Lacey" and "Police Woman".  In the late sixties she married into the Douglas family and assumed the mom role on "My Three Sons".  In the eighties, she played Kate Jackson's mom on "Scarecrow And Mrs. King".

She's the one! I was thinking of her because I recently saw a few episodes of Decoy for the first time..a no-nonsense female cop as the main character was certainly a first in the 50's.  I had forgotten she also portrayed Laura Holt's mom on Remington Steele until I waded through her sizeable list of credits.                                                                        Related image

Good detective work, MilesArcher! your thread...