Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 minutes ago, shutoo said:

that's a good one..and I love the look Eve Arden gives Ethel when she asks Arden about her caricature on the wall...

When Ricky brings Bill to their suite in the hotel and Bill lights her cigarette and the tip of the putty nose catches fire then she dips her nose in the cup of coffee to put out the fire, that I think is priceless. the vegeameata blah, blah commercial, the chocolate factory, the crushing grapes in the barrel to make wine all are priceless :D So many great episodes.

9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

So many great episodes.

so true...I've always thought there were only two 'unfunny' elements in the series: Little Ricky and moving to Connecticut

11 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Richard Widmark

2. Betty Grable and Harry James

3. Elsa Lanchester

4. Danny Thomas, Marjorie Lord

5. Tennessee Ernie Ford ? they were all in jail together, but you asked for a movie star, so you're probably looking for a different star

6. George Reeves

7. Harpo Marx

8. Ernie Kovacs

9. Van Johnson

10. Tennessee Ernie Ford

My favorite is the Brown Derby restaurant episode with William Holden.  For 5 and 10 didn't Tenn Ernie Ford do both, was in jail with the Richardos and slept on their couch in NY ?? 

Lav, This Is A Stellar Performance!

Re: #5 Yes they were in jail together with Tennessee Ernie Ford but I did ask for a movie star.

Lav, I know you remember all the hoopla around the first Lucy -Desi Comedy Hour which starred Ann Sothern.

Lucy and Ann have gone to Havana as two single  women looking for Romance within an exciting vacation. And that's where Lucy meets Desi. That's a terrific beginning for the hour-long shows. Somehow Lucy and Ann get arrested and were locked up in jail together.

Lav, you you still correctly answered all 10 anyway and you're still the Queen of Retro! Unfortunately the only prize that I have to give you is a box of Rice-A-Roni.

Lav-- Take it away!

I give the character name, you give me the name of show and extra credit for the actor or actress who played the role.

1. Mr. Jarvis

2. Mr. Griffin

3. Bunny and Charley

4. Seth Adams

5. Lorelei Brown

6. Mr. Mooney

7. Ralph Monroe

8. Kim and Craig

9. Mrs. Odetts

10. Buddy Lawrence

Here are a few:

#3 - Bunny and Charlie Halper, the friends on "The Danny Thomas Show".  They were played by Pat Carroll and Sid Melton.

#4 - Seth Adams, or Major Seth Adams on "Wagon Train".  He was played by Ward Bond.

#5 - Lorelei Brown was played by Pamela Britton on "My Favorite Martian".

#6 - Mr. Mooney was played by Gale Gordon on "The Lucy Show".

#7 - Ralph Monroe was played by Mary Grace Canfield on "Green Acres".  Sid Melton played Alf Monroe.

#10 - Buddy Lawrence was played by Kristy McNickle on "Family".

Jogging my memory yielded a few more:

#1 - Mr. Jarvis was played by Billy De Wolfe on "The Doris Day Show"  Doris and Billy were old friends from their days at Warner Bros. in the early fifties.

#8 - Kim and Craig were Lucy's children played by Lucy's children, Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Jr. on "Here's Lucy".

#9 - Mrs. Odetts was the elderly neighbor of Margie on "My Little Margie".  She was played by Gertrude Hoffman.  I had to look that one up to get the actress's name.  

Yes, Mr.Griffin was George Baxter's biggest client (literally) on Hazel, Janey. Welcome to the bds. :)

You got them Miles, good work and thanks for adding the actor's names. Just so you know, the spelling is Kristy McNichol. Add bonus points to your list, who knows, maybe someday we can cash them in :D

Your thread Miles ;)

• Like 1

Thanks, Lavender, and thanks Janey.  I drew a blank on Mr. Griffin.

Now, novelty songs have always been popular. We know that Sheb Wooley sang "The Purple People Eater", and David Seville did "The Chipmunk Song".  Here are some titles of novelty songs from the 50's and 60's.  Can you name the artist or group that performed the song?  Sometimes the song was recorded by more than one singer or group.  Please try and name the artist from the most popular version. 

1.  Beep Beep

2.  The Little Blue Man

3.  Charlie Brown

4.  Alley-Oop

5.  Mr. Custer

6.  Does You Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bed Post Overnight)?

7.  Ahab, The Arab

8.  Speedy Gonzalez

9.  Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport

10.  They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!

All correct so far.  Thanks Princess and Shutoo.  We still need #2 and #10.  A few years ago I bought a recording of old novelty songs and many of these were on that recording.  Some were very familiar to me and some others were not.  That may be the case with many folks viewing this thread. 

Maybe this will help:

#2 - "I wuv you, I wuv you" said the little blue man.

#10 - "They're coming to take me away, hahaaa to the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds".

I'll give everyone a little more time before revealing the answers. 

6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#10 - "They're coming to take me away, hahaaa to the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds".

Napoleon-something. I remember hearing this as a really little girl and wondering if this was the real Napoleon. 

Yes, Janey.  "They're coming To Take Me Away" was done by Napoleon XIV.  Apparently very few remember "The Little Blue Man".  That was sung by a woman with the unforgettable name of Betty Johnson.  Here is a recording:

Here is the complete list:

1.  Beep Beep - The Playmates - 1958

2.  The Little Blue Man - Betty Johnson - 1958

3.  Charlie Brown - The Coasters - 1959

4.  Alley-Oop - The Hollywood Argyles - 1960

5.  Mr. Custer - Larry Verne - 1960

6.  Does You Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bed Post Overnight)? - Lonnie Donegan - 1961

7.  Ahab, The Arab - Ray Stevens - 1962

8.  Speedy Gonzalez - Pat Boone - 1962

9.  Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport - Rolf Harris - 1963

10.  They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! -Napoleon XIV - 1966

By the way, "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor?" is actually a cover version of a song called "Does The Spearmint Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?".  It was written in 1924 by Billy Rose, Ernest Breuer, and Marty Bloom.   It was first recorded by some group called "The Happiness Boys".  Apparently, since the word "Spearmint" was copyrighted, the lyric was changed to "Chewing Gum" for the later version. 

Princess got more than Shutoo and Janey, so Princess gets the thread. 

• Like 1

Can you identify these Legends of Classic TV?

1) Started out early in Vaudeville and Burlesque

Went the Hollywood route

Had great radio fame

Ended up with a popular TV series for nearly 20 years

Hint: Had artistic talent

2) Started out in nightclubs

Went the Hollywood route

Did Broadway

Was an intermittent TV star for around 20 years

While at the same time maintaining a successful "A" movie career

Hint: Had musical talent

3) Started in Vaudeville

Went on to Burlesque

Hit Broadway

Did Hollywood for a while

Had a Big Smash on Broadway

Relived it in Hollywood

Then became a Classic TV Legend overnight

Four years later went back to Broadway to another smash

For the remaining career-- there was a combination of television, movies and more Broadway work-- all First Rate

Hint: Had dancing talent

When you identify these three TV Legends, also name one television show and one Broadway show for each.

And earn the extra Brownie point for telling us which one is your favorite and why.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:16 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Can you identify these Legends of Classic TV?

1) Started out early in Vaudeville and Burlesque

Went the Hollywood route

Had great radio fame

Ended up with a popular TV series for nearly 20 years

Hint: Had artistic talent

2) Started out in nightclubs

Went the Hollywood route

Did Broadway

Was an intermittent TV star for around 20 years

While at the same time maintaining a successful "A" movie career

Hint: Had musical talent

3) Started in Vaudeville

Went on to Burlesque

Hit Broadway

Did Hollywood for a while

Had a Big Smash on Broadway

Relived it in Hollywood

Then became a Classic TV Legend overnight

Four years later went back to Broadway to another smash

For the remaining career-- there was a combination of television, movies and more Broadway work-- all First Rate

Hint: Had dancing talent

When you identify these three TV Legends, also name one television show and one Broadway show for each.

And earn the extra Brownie point for telling us which one is your favorite and why.

Hint#2) All three legends may be considered to be comedians or comedic actors.

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2) All three legends may be considered to be comedians or comedic actors.

1. is he Buddy Ebsen ?

2. William Frawley ?

3. Phil Silvers or Eddie Albert ?    

Before doing research, I'm taking guesses with these guys LOL

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. is he Buddy Ebsen ?

2. William Frawley ?

3. Phil Silvers or Eddie Albert ?    

Before doing research, I'm taking guesses with these guys LOL

1 & 2 are incorrect.

Number 3 could be moving in the right direction, but I can't tell you which one to select.

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'm thinking #1 could be Red Skelton.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

3. Phil Silvers ?

These two are correct. 1) Red Skelton was a talented artist. I had the pleasure once of seeing an exhibit of his paintings. It was no surprise that his specialty was painting clowns, like " Freddie the Freeloader ".

3) Phil Silvers was considered to be one of the greatest ad lib comedians in sketch comedy.   if you've ever seen "Cover Girl ", you also know Silvers could dance well enough to keep up with Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth.

2) This comedic Legend's special talent was music.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:57 PM, Princess of Tap said:

These two are correct. 1) Red Skelton was a talented artist. I had the pleasure once of seeing an exhibit of his paintings. It was no surprise that his specialty was painting clowns, like " Freddie the Freeloader ".

3) Phil Silvers was considered to be one of the greatest ad lib comedians in sketch comedy.   if you've ever seen "Cover Girl ", you also know Silvers could dance well enough to keep up with Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth.

2) This comedic Legend's special talent was music.

2) This TV comic Legend was well known for his musical talent-- he was so good at it that it was like a second well -compensated career.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, Princess of Tap said:

2) This TV comic Legend was well known for his musical talent-- he was so good at it that it was like a second well -compensated career.

2) Hint#1) This TV comic legend was also well known for popular movie stardom in the 60s, 70s and 80s.